Did you mean: 

Amex Charges: Single VS Multiple

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Charges: Single VS Multiple

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Just don't understand Amex sometimes.

Gold Charge, they won't allow me to make a single charge larger than my POT, which is $1750, but I can run up multiple charges beyond that amount. Highest balance so far before paydown is $2800. I typically move $3-4k a month and pif for the last 2 years across all of my amex cards. The only times I did not pif was when I was trying plan it and pot, but I still paid it off the next month.  To add to the lolwut, the reason they're giving me is because I haven't had a charge that high yet. So, they won't let me charge $3000 in a single charge, because I haven't made a single $3000 charge. 🤦‍♂️

I'm planning to run it up until they either tell me to pay, or the due date. Curious how high I can take it.

I've never really had an issue putting large charges through on PRG/Gold card, but my POT limit is $35K... $8K went through no problem once. 

Does your stated income you gave Amex show you can pay off larger transactions? I know Amex gets skittish when it comes to reported income vs. transactions on charge cards.

Message 21 of 61
NRB525
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I remember you brought up this frustration earlier. It sounds like you are going to let the charges accumulate, let the statement print, then schedule a payment to pay the statement amount prior to that payment due date while you continue adding new charges in the new month.  I think this is a good plan.

With the limits you have on your cards generally, do you have the cash resources to set up a larger secured credit card? State Department FCU secured credit card lets you deposit up to $5,000 to secure that credit limit. The $5,000 limit would report as your Credit Limit for this card, and telegraph info to your other banks that you have a higher limit.  

There are no rewards on this card, but maybe making AMEX jealous is worth a try?

Last time was a question whether it would be better to pay once a month or multiple times a month. The consensus was that it didn't matter because Amex looks at the overall spend. That's when I ended up running it to $2800 before caving and paying. I don't remember saying anything about an individual charge for high dollar amount being denied. Regardless, I have no FICOs to give at this point and I'm gonna rack it up until I'm told to pay or I get to the due date. My monthly spend on any of my amex have had no bearing on my individual charge limit, so I'm going to test that.

I have it, I just don't want to tie it up into a secured card. Also, who could I use besides Wells Fargo? I can't stand them.

For the secured card if you decided to go that route? State Department Federal Credit Union.

Not sure how Wells Fargo got into the conversation Smiley Happy

But mostly it sounds like you will be paying the statement balance when that balance is due?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 61
NRB525
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@elixerin

For someone who had issues just recently with AMEX about this you seem like the last person to talk about this subject

Elixerin has worked through the limitations imposed on an AMEX charge card, including direct contacts to and from AMEX, and being asked to "pay now to continue to use the card".  I'd say that's quite relevant to this thread.  

E also seems to have liked the advice to let time help build the relationship with AMEX. That's healthy growth. 

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 23 of 61
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Just don't understand Amex sometimes.

Gold Charge, they won't allow me to make a single charge larger than my POT, which is $1750, but I can run up multiple charges beyond that amount. Highest balance so far before paydown is $2800. I typically move $3-4k a month and pif for the last 2 years across all of my amex cards. The only times I did not pif was when I was trying plan it and pot, but I still paid it off the next month.  To add to the lolwut, the reason they're giving me is because I haven't had a charge that high yet. So, they won't let me charge $3000 in a single charge, because I haven't made a single $3000 charge. 🤦‍♂️

I'm planning to run it up until they either tell me to pay, or the due date. Curious how high I can take it.

They did the same thing to me one day,* which is why I closed the card.

I do not like having a charge declined.

I do not like having to guess about what my limit is.

* I didn't actually know or care what my pay-over-time limit was, but they declined a $3k charge because I had never up to that point spent that much on the card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 24 of 61
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Reported income is 70k and accurate. Wife's paycheck is not deposited in my account, but I have access and would add another 45k

Message 25 of 61
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I remember you brought up this frustration earlier. It sounds like you are going to let the charges accumulate, let the statement print, then schedule a payment to pay the statement amount prior to that payment due date while you continue adding new charges in the new month.  I think this is a good plan.

With the limits you have on your cards generally, do you have the cash resources to set up a larger secured credit card? State Department FCU secured credit card lets you deposit up to $5,000 to secure that credit limit. The $5,000 limit would report as your Credit Limit for this card, and telegraph info to your other banks that you have a higher limit.  

There are no rewards on this card, but maybe making AMEX jealous is worth a try?

Last time was a question whether it would be better to pay once a month or multiple times a month. The consensus was that it didn't matter because Amex looks at the overall spend. That's when I ended up running it to $2800 before caving and paying. I don't remember saying anything about an individual charge for high dollar amount being denied. Regardless, I have no FICOs to give at this point and I'm gonna rack it up until I'm told to pay or I get to the due date. My monthly spend on any of my amex have had no bearing on my individual charge limit, so I'm going to test that.

I have it, I just don't want to tie it up into a secured card. Also, who could I use besides Wells Fargo? I can't stand them.

For the secured card if you decided to go that route? State Department Federal Credit Union.

But mostly it sounds like you will be paying the statement balance when that balance is due?

Wells Fargo is the only lender that I know of that would let me open a $5k secured card.

I have more than enough in any of my accounts and they could call them to verify.

Message 26 of 61
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner BoA will do $4900, just as another option

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 27 of 61
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex cut me off at $3600. Was a $1600 charge at Best buy with a $2000 balance. Reason given was they havent seen that high a spend before. Paid balance and made the charge.

Message 28 of 61
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Wells Fargo is the only lender that I know of that would let me open a $5k secured card.

I have more than enough in any of my accounts and they could call them to verify.

SDFCU once told me they'd let someone open a secured card with a $100,000 limit if they had the cash 😂

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 29 of 61
NRB525
Super Contributor

Amex cut me off at $3600. Was a $1600 charge at Best buy with a $2000 balance. Reason given was they havent seen that high a spend before. Paid balance and made the charge.

Have you tried the Allow Access to Financial Accounts option?

AMEX Screen.jpg

Message 30 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.