Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Credit Line Decrease?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Credit Line Decrease?!

You didn't say that?

Okay, so how much do you think op should be spending on that card monthly to stay in the grace of amex?
Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, the responses and reactions aren’t quite what I would have expected.

This particular case would go against pretty much all experience I’ve had with credit cards and a fairly interesting data point to learn more.

Yes, it’s obviously within Amex’s rights to decrease a CL whenever and for whatever reason they feel like. Also, generally extending way more credit than someone uses costs money.

I have 4 cards from Amex with multiples of the $15k OP has and some of them will go months with no usage and ive had them for years with way less than $800 per year. I would be very surprised to see a CLD from Amex even given that I rarely use them.

I wouldnt really care, but I would be surprised.

As a matter of fact I have a 12 year old Cap One card that started with a $2k limit and I hadn’t used it in years. Really just waiting for Cap One to close it at some point. Last year I was alerted they increased my limit from $2k to $7k and I know I haven’t swiped it in at least 3 years.

The point is, even though it’s within their rights, it’s not common.
Message 42 of 47
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I logged into my account yesterday and saw my credit limit was decreased from $15,000 to $7,500 on my BCE card! I tried chatting them regarding this and was told to call a number for specific reasoning. Well... after waiting 25 minutes on hold I was told this was wrong department and then had to wait and be transferred again. Always fun when CSR gives wrong number to call.

After finally getting ahold of CSR, I was told that my account was “reviewed” and credit limit decreased due to “minimal usage”. I use this card at least once a month and have put around $800 YTD on the card. CSR was not able to answer any questions I had regarding their process and then asked to update my profile (income, employer, cash) to see if limit can be reinstated. CSR said “you don’t spend the full limit so you don’t need your original amount”. What a joke.... will not be dealing with any further Amex cards in the future.

Gave all info and within 5 minutes saw my CL was restored back fully... but this has left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding Amex. Their customer service is always terrible and does not compare to the other companies so I will be taking my future business elsewhere.

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the discussions that follow. Was the AR/AA due to another stranger than usual activities? Say using a card to it's max or a late payment? Excessive credit seaking? Something else to spark the AR/AA? 

If not, that would kind of be troublesome. I understand that there is no obligation by the banks to maintain anything, unless something kicked some dirt into their math. I mean, at one point AMEX did approve this CL. 

Do AR/AA's randomly "just happen?" without the algorithm saying "hey, you might wanna check this guy out"?

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 43 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

If OP maxed his card out each month and paid in full, last year he could've spent 180K. Instead he spent 5K. He spent 2.7% of the cards limit last year. That is minimal usage. Why would a bank give you a 15K limit is you don't even spent 3% of it?
Message 44 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question, why don't we just ask how many people has 14k or more cl and never spend more than 5k a year on it?

Somehow I think that's more common than you would have imagined.

BTW, I won't be able to spend more than 4k this year on my Delta gold, let's see how fast amex shut my 14k cl down, lol
Message 45 of 47
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, the responses and reactions aren’t quite what I would have expected.

This particular case would go against pretty much all experience I’ve had with credit cards and a fairly interesting data point to learn more.

Yes, it’s obviously within Amex’s rights to decrease a CL whenever and for whatever reason they feel like. Also, generally extending way more credit than someone uses costs money.

I have 4 cards from Amex with multiples of the $15k OP has and some of them will go months with no usage and ive had them for years with way less than $800 per year. I would be very surprised to see a CLD from Amex even given that I rarely use them.

I wouldnt really care, but I would be surprised.

As a matter of fact I have a 12 year old Cap One card that started with a $2k limit and I hadn’t used it in years. Really just waiting for Cap One to close it at some point. Last year I was alerted they increased my limit from $2k to $7k and I know I haven’t swiped it in at least 3 years.

The point is, even though it’s within their rights, it’s not common.

I know it's only just March, but I've bolded what has to be a strong early contender for understatement of the year. Some of it is quite simply breathtaking. 

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 46 of 47
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP was successful in having the CLD reversed and the CL was restored, this thread has run its course and is closed to further comments.

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.