Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Eliminates Foreign Transaction Fees

tag
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Amex Delta Eliminates Foreign Transaction Fees

Just got my delta gold statement and it says that starting May 1st, 2014 there will be no FTF's on that account. No other details, but very exciting!
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Eliminates Foreign Transaction Fees

That is great news.....although I don't have the Delta Gold card (anymore).....maybe it means AmEx will address this with all or some more of their cards geared toward travel rewards, i.e. their charge cards, the SPG, etc.  IMO it doesn't make sense for a travel card to have FTFs since it essentially limits what you'd want to spend outside the US.  However, I wonder if no FTFs would lead to an increase in AFs or interest rates....hope not! 

Anyway, good to know that AmEx has another product now with no FTFs besides their Platinum (with a high AF). 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 2 of 28
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I am hoping they will do the same on Blue Sky Preferred. They should do it with all their travel cards, in my opinion. 

Message 3 of 28
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@cottoncrown wrote:
Just got my delta gold statement and it says that starting May 1st, 2014 there will be no FTF's on that account. No other details, but very exciting!

Great news Cat Very Happy ~ I wonder if this also applies to delta platinum & reserve.   I would think so, but you never know....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 28
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Hope they will waive SPG FTF soon!!!!

Message 5 of 28
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:

Thanks for sharing the news... I over looked that on my statement. I always look and make sure it has a 0 bal Smiley LOL

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 6 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

I'm hoping they will do the same for their hotel cards too. Amex acceptance overseas is already pretty bad.... Charging FTFs on top of that is just going to make customers use the card even less.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 28
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
I'm hoping they will do the same for their hotel cards too. Amex acceptance overseas is already pretty bad.... Charging FTFs on top of that is just going to make customers use the card even less.

@enharu wrote:

I totally agree +1 

Products like the CSP hopefully will force Amex to make certain necessary changes to improve their card products. Touting no foreign transaction fees as a Platinum card perk seems silly considering so many other cards have no forex fees anyway. All Amex charge cards should have no forex fees. 

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 8 of 28
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Sorry to be off topic, but did AMEX Delta Platinum get rid of companion passes? 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

Excellent news! 

I'm hoping this is the beginning of AmEx offering the no FTF feature on more of it's cards, especially the SPG.  Also, by nature of the fee, I think all Charge cards should have the no FTF feature as a matter of principle.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.