Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold Upgrade Offer - Reserve 35K miles for $5k spend

tag
jellyroll2
Established Member

Amex Delta Gold Upgrade Offer - Reserve 35K miles for $5k spend

Hi all,

So I'm approaching my 1 year mark with my Delta Gold card and was planning on keeping it. I prefer Delta to other airlines anyway. I was hoping for an upgrade offer to the Platinum which I was going to consider but hadn't really decided on. There was no plan to apply for the Plat even with the elevated offers as I'm apping for the Aspire soon and then minding my 5/24 spots for next year.

So lo and behold I log into my account this weekend and I have an upgrade offer - but for the Delta Reserve. 35K miles for 5k in spend in 3 months. Isn't this a terrible offer? Yes, I get the whole first class companion thing but it's for domestic only and the chances of me buying a domestic first class flight are very slim. Plus it's the same spend that's required for the public offer with 75k miles and 5k MQM. If I'm going to spend that I may as well apply outright.

Anyone gotten lousy upgrade offers before?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Gold Upgrade Offer - Reserve 35K miles for $5k spend

There is no such thing as an upgrade from a Delta card to a Platinum card.  Delta cards upgrade to other Delta cards.  Green and Gold upgrade to Platinum.  You can't cross over from a Delta card to a mainstream Amex card on an upgrade.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 9
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

That is actually a really good upgrade offer compared to previous ones.  I remember seeing 10K miles or maybe 10K MQM's for upgrading in the last year or so.  I guess you have to decide if it is worth it to you based on the perks.  You can still use your companion pass for Comfort+ and Main Cabin, you can get through Sky Priority (even on Main Cabin ticket), and of course, lounge access free to you.

Personally, I always open a new account to get the best reward, especially with Amex and it's once in a life-time language =)

Message 3 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you mean you are waiting for an upgrade offer to the Delta Platinum, yes that is a thing. I did that a couple years ago.
I was looking for, did not get an upgrade offer to Delta Reserve, so did a new app (no HP but yes it hits your 5/24 count eventually) to get a 40k miles plus 10k MQM bonus.

For the Reaerve, you can use it for a companion pass up to First Class, but it also works for Comfort Plus and Economy. It does not lock you in to only First Class.

I’d be inclined to sit tight, pay the AF for the Delta Gold and wait for the nearly inevitable upgrade offer to Delta Platinum if what you want is Delta Platinum. Upgrade offers rotate and change, including bonus amounts.

And if the ask was “upgrade Delta Gold to AMEX Platinum “, no, that is not a thing.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 9
jellyroll2
Established Member

I wasn’t talking about the regular Platinum, I meant the Delta Plat. Thought that would have been understood but I should have been clearer.
Message 5 of 9
jellyroll2
Established Member

So the spend is actually $3k now, not $5k. Still think I'm going to pass and wait to see what kind of offer I may get for the Delta plat. Not sure I want to justify another $450 fee just for the Sky Club. I'd get the same type of companion pass I'd use it for with the DP. In this instance if I was going to shell that out just for a lounge I may as well go one further and get the regular Platinum. 

Message 6 of 9
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

As far as upgrade offers go, it's not too bad really, but, as you have said if you do not see yourself using the companion ticket (which pretty much pays for the card) then you would be better off just apping the Amex Plat for the lounge access.
Hold off, see if the Delta Plat offers anything up, if not hold on to your Delta gold and dig deep and hit the $550 AF club and get the Amex Plat Smiley Wink

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 7 of 9
jellyroll2
Established Member

So as I was perusing the cards while I was logged in, it seems I do also have an upgrade offer for the Delta Plat. However there are no bonus miles attached like there is for the Reserve. If I don't upgrade now, is there a possibility they'll offer an upgrade down the road (for the DP) that may have miles attached to it? Or do they tend to offer bonus miles for only the Reserve when they offer an upgrade?

Message 8 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You can call or chat for available upgrade offers. Usually for Platinum or Reserve they are low, 5-15k SkyMiles depending on how Amex likes you. This new 35k thing is unheard of since it’s nearly on par with the normal SUB for a new Delta Reserve.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.