Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold points hard to redeem?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Amex Delta Gold points hard to redeem?

So I was researching more on the Amex Gold Delta (current intro offer:30k miles after $500 spend in 90 days). That sounds greaatt, right??! I really need to stay in the garden lol my aaoa has dropped to like 2.2 years aaoa:-/.

But Ive read bad reviews on CreditKarma as well as a few other sites... Does anyone have experience with redeeming the 30k in points with Delta?!?

Is it hard to find eligible dates??
Hmm
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Gold points hard to redeem?

Delta miles are called Skypesos for a reason. They are worth less than the miles of any other major US airline, and redeeming those at a decent value are notoriously difficult. Delta miles do have advantages in a few places (like redeeming business class to Australia via Virgin Australia), but those are far and few inbetween when compared to the numerous disadvantages of the program.

IMO it goes something like this:

United

American/US Airways (normally I'd rank American higher but they're having so many issues as of late)

Delta

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Eeekkk I'm so not wasting a hp or aaoa on that. The Jetblue Amex actually looks appealing, even with a $40 af. Ive never flown JetBlue though....
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I fly Delta often and the savings on checked bag fees alone make the card worth it for me.  Plus the priority boarding and being able to ensure that I have overhead space is enough for me.  I haven't tried to redeem miles yet but Ive read that they are really good to use on international travel or upgrading tickets to first class.  I have about 50k miles right now and plan on using them in the next year to go to Europe so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 15
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Really, the airline-specific cards are gradually becoming dinosaurs. In the past, many companies exclusively booked their business travel through one particular airline. Consequently, if you traveled for work, it made sense to have the credit card for the same airline you flew on, so that you would amass all your points in the same place.

That may still be the situation for some companies, and it still makes sense if like I did you find yourself as an independent consultant commuting regularly to the same destination on the same flight (hence my prior ownership of the Delta card). But nowadays most companies require employees to book the cheapest flight or some variation thereof (one of the cheapest three, cheapest with no more than one layover, etc.) Consequently, it can ultimately be of more value to most people to amass reward points that can be exchanged for various types of miles, since you are probably amassing miles on 3 or 4 different carriers. 

Of the point systems out there, there are three that have particularly good redemption values with a wide variety of partners:

AmEx Membership Rewards (Green/Gold/PRG/Platinum charge cards)

Chase Ultimate Rewards (Sapphire Preferred/JP Morgan Select)

Starwood SPG Points (AmEx SPG)

This site has a very good comparison of their different redemption rates, partnerships, etc.  http://www.drcreditcard.net/fr-spg-vs-mr-vs-ur.html

Given that Delta redemption values are pretty weak, I can't say I would recommend that card for you unless you are flying Delta regularly. Nor would I recommend the jetBlue if you never fly with them. I'd garden a while and focus on acquiring access to one or more of these three primo reward points systems. That gives you the flexibility to conserve your points and just use them to "top off" your miles on a particular airline when your travel miles get high enough to bring a reward threshold within sight.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I like my Travelocity American Express... I get 3pts for everything booked on Travelocity.com, but I guess that is not an airline specific card... I just got  a free night at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas with my points from that card :-D PARTAY!

haha

:-D

Message 6 of 15
stefanc
Regular Contributor

I quite like my Delta card - in addition to the free bags etc. mentioned before - for myself, the points work out quite nicely - For instance a first class ticket on a route I fly with some regularity (an Alaska co-branded flight) is only 45K points round trip - if booked through Alaska themselves it is double that (same points but for each leg not round trip), same if booked at American etc. So at least for my particular flights Delta points are very worthwhile!

Message 7 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm... well that sounds good.. I mean, I fly a few times a year... it might be something worth me checking into.. I mean it's only  a SP if I get denied since I have an Amex already, right?

Message 8 of 15
stefanc
Regular Contributor

Yup it seems to be a soft if declined - hard if approved. If you have regular legs that you fly perhaps you can go in to Delta's site and check out point redemption's for your usual flights before pulling the trigger on an app.

WIth that one first class ticket I mentioned, as I said, it works out well -- a $1500 round trip ticket for 45K points works for me! I don't know what the point redemption's are for flights other than the ones I do regularly they may be good, may not be... There is also the perk of being able to partially pay for your flight with points (I think it is 10K points = $100) so you can mix points and cash to book on Delta's site.

Message 9 of 15
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

I fly Delta often and the savings on checked bag fees alone make the card worth it for me.  Plus the priority boarding and being able to ensure that I have overhead space is enough for me.  I haven't tried to redeem miles yet but Ive read that they are really good to use on international travel or upgrading tickets to first class.  I have about 50k miles right now and plan on using them in the next year to go to Europe so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I agree with the above....plus the companion certificate each year. I'm flying to New York in November, and my daughter is flying with me for free on the companion certificate.

I have always been able to use my miles. I'm in the boondocks with fewer flights, and I've not had an issue. I have 160,000+ miles, and mine are being saved for Europe or Africa. I'm saving miles, but I did use them to fly to Boston for a medical conference in June. I had no issue using them.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.