Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Plat comp cert question

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Delta Plat comp cert question

@K-in-Boston Do you know by chance if the companion certificate that comes with the Delta Platinum can be upgraded from Main to First using cash?  I know with Alaska you can't upgrade past their version of "premium economy" until day of departure if space is available.  

Message 11 of 17
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@budugu wrote:

At least from Seattle the inventory is really bad (especially nonstops). Also looking at the price seems like totally off peak time as well. Considering the price you pay 250$ for the card.  The value seems to be at best 150$ coast to coast in what according to kayak is the cheapest week (traveling on a sat and returning on a Friday). As I said it is extremely YMMV thing. I found it useless. 

ps:compared to Alaska it is very restrictive. 

Where are you trying to go?

When are you trying to go?

How are you looking for inventory?

How in the world are you seeing maximum $150 round-trip transcons?

Even looking only TWO weeks out, I found ample inventory on every single nonstop that I tried to plug in from SEA in a just a few minutes.  I'm honestly completely puzzled by your statements.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.04.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.03.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.02.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.01.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.01.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.00.34 PM.png

I may be wrong, but I 'think' @budugu was saying that after paying $250 for the AF, the most he could get out of it was $150. If a ticket costs upwards of $400 + companion taxes. That's roughly the $150 value.

Message 12 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

@K-in-Boston Do you know by chance if the companion certificate that comes with the Delta Platinum can be upgraded from Main to First using cash?  I know with Alaska you can't upgrade past their version of "premium economy" until day of departure if space is available.  

Yes, the tickets can be upgraded to Comfort+, First, or Delta One by paying, but not by using RUCs (or GUCs, but who would waste those on a domestic ticket?).

Message 13 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:

I may be wrong, but I 'think' @budugu was saying that after paying $250 for the AF, the most he could get out of it was $150. If a ticket costs upwards of $400 + companion taxes. That's roughly the $150 value.

Gotcha.  Since you have to pay for one of the tickets, maximizing the dollar amount of the savings on the companion ticket isn't a good thing if you can avoid it.  Smiley Wink

There were examples as much as $800 in my earlier post since the dates are so close in, and while I'm confident I could locate numerous examples of $1000+ fares compatible with the companion fare, I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay that much for a domestic ticket, especially in Main Cabin.

Message 14 of 17
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

Gotcha.  Since you have to pay for one of the tickets, maximizing the dollar amount of the savings on the companion ticket isn't a good thing if you can avoid it.  Smiley Wink

There were examples as much as $800 in my earlier post since the dates are so close in, and while I'm confident I could locate numerous examples of $1000+ fares compatible with the companion fare, I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay that much for a domestic ticket, especially in Main Cabin.

Exactly. While there may be situations when it's unavoidable to spend higher-than-average prices, I wouldn't purposely spend a lot on a ticket just to say that I squeezed the heck out of my companion fare 😁

If the Delta companion ticket was available for travel like the Alaska Air version, it'd be an amazing value. Even if they just allowed all US States from the mainland. *sigh*

Being in a big city and having access to a few major airports makes the Delta companion ticket less valuable for us. It's not too difficult to find good prices when you have lots of options. OTOH, the Alaska companion fare is always a great value going to HI even during low season. Plus, a stopover on the West Coast makes it less painful when traveling in main cabin 😅. We've held on to our 2 AS cards just for the tickets.

Message 15 of 17
budugu
Regular Contributor

Hey k in Boston ... thanks for the searches. Mine were more thu/Friday out Sunday/Monday return (That's when i can typically travel). I am not saying it is not valuable. Example would be second half of may or dec15 to jan1st etc (even 3 months out). Was looking for SEA- NYC / WAS non stop typically. Anyway it is more anecdotal than grid search. Usually United or Alaska had some price / schedule benefits that made the over all price difference to ~150-200$ For the voucher. if you are willing to take one hop (which adds 3-4 hrs) it is bit more easier coast to coast. If you dont have a checked bag / are not a regular delta flyer (MQMs), companion fare just about lets you barely break even on the annual fee.

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 16 of 17
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

For me as long as I can recoup the annual fee with the companion pass that is all I worry about. Granted, will be a little tougher now with the fee going up to $250. Both my wife and I have the card so essentially our 2 kids fly free. Brings the cost of a vacation down a bit and living in Atlanta we have tons of good flight options. We have gotten good use out of the pass the last few years.

We also just got the Alaska Air cards a few weeks ago for their companion pass. Since their companion pass is $99 plus fees we might not use it every year, but since the card is only $75 a year it isn't a deal breaker if we don't.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.