cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex EveryDay Card Long term PC possibilities?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex EveryDay Card Long term PC possibilities?

I was just watching the Amex website and looking a loooot of cards. Anyone with the Everyday (Plain, not preferred) that has done product change? If so, recommendations? Obviously as the account just opened one week ago I am not thinking about doing it right now, y priorities are in the welcome bonus and the extra 20%, but I would not mind so possible routes down the road with Amex.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Amex EveryDay Card Long ter PC possibilities?

There are several constraints regarding Amex PCs:

1. You can't upgrade to a higher-AF card for a year.

2. You can't convert a personal card to a business card.

3. You can't PC from one card family to another (an old rule, more strictly enforced in the last 3 years).

4. Even before #3, the extra 20%/50% feature made PCs from the EveryDay family to others complicated if not impossible. Some old Blue cards became ED cards, but ED was the destination and not the origin card.

5. You can't PC a revolver to a charge card.

Take all these together, and I expect you have three options:

1. Keep ED.

2. Upgrade to EDP after a year.

3. Hope they introduce a new card within the EveryDay family (and there's been nothing to suggest this).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

There are several constraints regarding Amex PCs:

1. You can't upgrade to a higher-AF card for a year.

2. You can't convert a personal card to a business card.

3. You can't PC from one card family to another (an old rule, more strictly enforced in the last 3 years).

4. Even before #3, the extra 20%/50% feature made PCs from the EveryDay family to others complicated if not impossible. Some old Blue cards became ED cards, but ED was the destination and not the origin card.

5. You can't PC a revolver to a charge card.

Take all these together, and I expect you have three options:

1. Keep ED.

2. Upgrade to EDP after a year.

3. Hope they introduce a new card within the EveryDay family (and there's been nothing to suggest this).

So basically speaking as I do not want to pay an annual fee, I will have my Everyday for a loooong tiiiime. Should have applied to the Blue Cash Everyday, but it is too late for that.

Message 3 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I got BCE in 2014, and I upgraded it to BCP a few months ago. Until the upgrade and the no-fee Plan It promo, I rarely used it.

I got EDP in 2015, and I downgraded it to ED in 2016 with the Costco switch. Since then, I rarely use it.

The cards will occasionally have a useful offer, but the offers I like became a lot scarcer in 2015. Still, the cards do contribute to my history and they're only a few clicks away to monitor when I'm logged in to check my other accounts.

Amex has some good no-AF business cards, and some good AF personal and business cards. I think the no-AF personal cards are all pretty unremarkable, though.

Some people complain about needing $25 of cash back to redeem on BCE, but it takes more like 10k or 20k MRs to get a plane ticket (more for premiums seats or long flights), and MRs values are generally highest as airline miles. People who really want a lot of MRs generally go for BBP or an AF card. The AF can be small compared to the value of a large number of extra points vs. what ED earns.

Message 4 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex EveryDay Card Long term PC possibilities?

There isn't much of a choice with the Everyday card. You either keep it as is or you can upgrade it to the Preferred version which costs $95, but the transaction bonus is bumped up to 50%. Note though you do have to make 30 transactions, so basically using the card at least once a day throughout the month. For many that is not an issue, but if you're using a bunch of cards it could be difficult.

You cannot change the Everyday card to anything else. No cash back or other MR cards (the charge cards). Unless Amex adds another card to the ED lineup, ED and EDP are the only interchangeable options.

Either way, you won't be able to do anything until the account is a year old.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So basically speaking as I do not want to pay an annual fee, I will have my Everyday for a loooong tiiiime. Should have applied to the Blue Cash Everyday, but it is too late for that.

Why?  Once you're in you're in and additional cards are SP approvals.  If you see "you're pre-approved" when you hit apply while logged in then it's a SP, if you see "expand your membership" then it's going to be a HP.  If you're in the SP territory then you want to check the offers in an ingcognito session as they're usually higher and result in the same SP scenario.

Message 6 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why?  Once you're in you're in and additional cards are SP approvals.  If you see "you're pre-approved" when you hit apply while logged in then it's a SP, if you see "expand your membership" then it's going to be a HP.  If you're in the SP territory then you want to check the offers in an ingcognito session as they're usually higher and result in the same SP scenario.

A lot of people can get approved for a second Amex card very quickly.

That said...a week ago you wanted a card that only earned a little trickle of MRs. Now you want a card that earns a little trickle of cash back. It's worth taking the time to look at a lot of cards and figure out what you really want as far as rewards/perks/protections.

Message 7 of 16
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

For me, the only attractions of the Everyday card are the 0% BT fee for BT's executed within 60 days of opening. Plus, the 15-month 0% APR works for me, as well. After that, the card would collect lint in my sock drawer, until I occasionally took it out to buy a Mounds bar.

It's been told to me a few times on these forums that the maximum initial BT to an Everyday is 5K. I spoke to an Amex CSR the other day and she said the maximum free BT is actually 75% of the SL. They will let you reallocate to the Everyday from another card, but, unlike Chase, it cannot be used to increase the size of the BT.
Message 8 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex EveryDay Card Long term PC possibilities?

I believe your only option would be upgrading to the Preferred. But don’t worry—the Everyday is a fine card and I wouldn’t consider it a mistake getting it. 

Your only mistake was not naming this thread “Amex Everyday card long-term PC-bilities” 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 16
Poppa
Established Contributor

@kshurika wrote:
It's been told to me a few times on these forums that the maximum initial BT to an Everyday is 5K. I spoke to an Amex CSR the other day and she said the maximum free BT is actually 75% of the SL. They will let you reallocate to the Everyday from another card, but, unlike Chase, it cannot be used to increase the size of the BT.

Are you saying that if I opened a card and got a $5000 SL, and moved say $15000 to it from another card, that I could only get a BT of up to 75% of the original SL and not the new $20000 limit? I couldn't do a $5000 BT because it's more than 75% of the $5000 SL?

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.