Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday VS Blue Cash Everyday

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday VS Blue Cash Everyday

@BluePoodle wrote:

When I was trying to evaluate the two I posted a thread too. I got a lot of great advise so I thought I would share the link with you.  I decided on the ED and really like the card, the website. Haven't really had to deal with CS yet but so far I have been very happy with my experience.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Everyday-vs-Blue-Cash-Everyday/td-p/3048410

Thanks, that was a good read. I'm still learning more about MR points and what not.

As others have noted, BCE has no purpose for me considering Sallie Mae will be my goto card for Groceries and gas. ED possibly can fill in the gap if I happen to hit my cap on the sallie mae's $250 limit.

ED still doesent have me sold but I really want to get in with Amex considering they have 3xCLI's and a really respectable CC company. I'm just finding it hard to find an amex card that suits me. You would think since Amex is such a huge company they would like to compete a little better with others.

Sallie Mae is clearly the goto card for most who know about it, once the marketing for it gets out there more its going to be taking all the business.

Message 11 of 87
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

When I was trying to evaluate the two I posted a thread too. I got a lot of great advise so I thought I would share the link with you.  I decided on the ED and really like the card, the website. Haven't really had to deal with CS yet but so far I have been very happy with my experience.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Everyday-vs-Blue-Cash-Everyday/td-p/3048410

Thanks, that was a good read. I'm still learning more about MR points and what not.

As others have noted, BCE has no purpose for me considering Sallie Mae will be my goto card for Groceries and gas. ED possibly can fill in the gap if I happen to hit my cap on the sallie mae's $250 limit.

ED still doesent have me sold but I really want to get in with Amex considering they have 3xCLI's and a really respectable CC company. I'm just finding it hard to find an amex card that suits me. You would think since Amex is such a huge company they would like to compete a little better with others.

Sallie Mae is clearly the goto card for most who know about it, once the marketing for it gets out there more its going to be taking all the business.

This was my situation too. Which is why I settled for the ED card.  I also got a pre-qualification letter with 15,000 points bonus and 12.99 APR so that helped persuade me.  I also like the Fidelity card for a general use 2% card and may consider adding that next year if nothing else comes along with Amex that sounds better.

I plan to use my points for either airline, hotel or gift cards.  Good luck in deciding what works best for you.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 12 of 87
TheFate
Established Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

This was my situation too. Which is why I settled for the ED card.  I also got a pre-qualification letter with 15,000 points bonus and 12.99 APR so that helped persuade me.  I also like the Fidelity card for a general use 2% card and may consider adding that next year if nothing else comes along with Amex that sounds better.

I plan to use my points for either airline, hotel or gift cards.  Good luck in deciding what works best for you.

Thanks for the advice

If you could go back would you app for the Fidelity instead?

Message 13 of 87
Jungook
Regular Contributor

The EveryDay and SallieMae combo is especially lethal for those who have small to medium spending.

SallieMae:

-5% gas

-5% groceries

-5% bookstores (amazon)

Any other miscellaneous spending should go onto the Amex which earns fully fledge MR points without an annual fee. 

Message 14 of 87
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Jungook wrote:

The EveryDay and SallieMae combo is especially lethal for those who have small to medium spending.

SallieMae:

-5% gas

-5% groceries

-5% bookstores (amazon)

Any other miscellaneous spending should go onto the Amex which earns fully fledge MR points without an annual fee. 

Yes fully fledge MR points at 1x. I don't consider that very lethal but can come in handy for a slow build on MR points

Message 15 of 87
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

SallieMae:

-5% gas

-5% groceries

-5% bookstores (amazon)

Yes fully fledge MR points at 1x. I don't consider that very lethal but can come in handy for a slow build on MR points

The usefulness of ED is for mr points. If you value MR points for 1.5+ per cent then I think its pretty valuable. You can't really compare ED to regular  cashback cards, since its main use is for travel imo. Also keep in mind the ED card is the only amex card out there where you can collect and store MR points with no annual fee. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

People are really hating on the BCE here. But i think this is not a legitimate position. The BCP card is only good at >$200 per month grocery spend. The ED card is only good if you use AMEX for travel redemptions. The Sallie Mae is only available to US permanent residents like all Barclay cards. If you fit neither of these categories the BCE seems like a decent choice esp if you just want some Amex card like the OP does.
Message 17 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
People are really hating on the BCE here. But i think this is not a legitimate position. The BCP card is only good at >$200 per month grocery spend. The ED card is only good if you use AMEX for travel redemptions. The Sallie Mae is only available to US permanent residents like all Barclay cards. If you fit neither of these categories the BCE seems like a decent choice esp if you just want some Amex card like the OP does.

Not hating, analysis.  If you can't get the Sallie Mae, then yes, BCE is OK (at best) if spending is small.  But many of the people getting it are not in that category, and haven't done the math.   Most stop at BCE vs BCP, and that is not the right choice (again for those who can get Sallie Mae).

Message 18 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@Jungook wrote:

SallieMae:

-5% gas

-5% groceries

-5% bookstores (amazon)

The usefulness of ED is for mr points. If you value MR points for 1.5+ per cent then I think its pretty valuable. You can't really compare ED to regular  cashback cards, since its main use is for travel imo. Also keep in mind the ED card is the only amex card out there where you can collect and store MR points with no annual fee. 

Right.  If you use enough, you get 1.2MR on not category purchases, 2.4 on supermarket.  If you value MR highly enough, you might even use this instead of SM on groceries

Message 19 of 87
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

whats w/th all the love for the sallie mae?   unless you are doing alot of book purchases i think the bce is a slightly  better deal, unless there is a version of the sallie mae that i am unaware of.

sallie mae is

5% on first $250 of gas and  grocery a month then 1%

5% on fist $750 on books then 1%

1% everthing else

bce is

3% grocery upto 6k per yr then 1%

2% at gas

1% everything else

look at it annually

lets assume 6k spend on gas and grocery  which is pretty easy to achieve with these two, $100 a week on groceries isn't unreasonable and if anything maybe low esp if you have a kid.

sm

5% on 3k of gas and grocery  =150 (250*12=3000)

1% on remaining 3k=$30

total =180

bce

3% on $5200of grocery=$156*

2% on all gas if we use $800 thats  $16   -stuck to the $6000 spend senario

total 172

*note the max 3% is on 6k so you have the potential to actually earn 180 which in itself beats out the sm @ 150

i wish i only spent  800 a yr on gas thats only about $15 a week on gas so if you doubled that to $30 a week  that would be 1560 a yr on gas and you would get 31.20 back

that would bring the total upto $187.20

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 20 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.