Amex Everyday VS Blue Cash Everyday

tag
kalani91
Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday VS Blue Cash Everyday

@Craaaig wrote:

Sallie Mae = My gas and amazon card

BCE = Getting my foot in the door with Amex

I grocery shop at Target so my REDcard + Cartwheel app = heaven.

Same reason I got the BCE.. I actually didn't know about sallie mae until the day after I got accepted for  BCE.. No I want the sallie mae card but I have 4 new accounts and 6 INQ's. Very risky

EX 724 ,NFCU Cash Rewards 7k DCU Plat 4.1k, Discover IT 2.5k Chase Freedom 2k. . Cap1 Plat $1.5k, Cap1 QS 1k, , Wells fargo 1.5k, Paypal 1.5k
Message 41 of 87
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
People are really hating on the BCE here. But i think this is not a legitimate position. The BCP card is only good at >$200 per month grocery spend. The ED card is only good if you use AMEX for travel redemptions. The Sallie Mae is only available to US permanent residents like all Barclay cards. If you fit neither of these categories the BCE seems like a decent choice esp if you just want some Amex card like the OP does.

Not hating, analysis.  If you can't get the Sallie Mae, then yes, BCE is OK (at best) if spending is small.  But many of the people getting it are not in that category, and haven't done the math.   Most stop at BCE vs BCP, and that is not the right choice (again for those who can get Sallie Mae).

But that was my point though. Whenever people asked here I recommended the SM card, it is great. But there are SOME people for who the BCE is the right choice. 

The problem I see with the ED at very low spend is that it will take you forever to actually accumulate enough points to redeem for any meaningul travel, and there is always the risk of point devaluation. 

Another interesting option is this card - http://www.myconsumers.org/loans-credit/visa-cards/visa-signature-cash-rebate-card.html - which gives a rewards structure slightly better than the BCE (convenience store included in 3%) and it allows you to get a 4% APY rewards checking account. 

Yep. We call THOSE people Iowans. or is it Iowegians?

Actually, I'm not sure what we call em.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 42 of 87
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
People are really hating on the BCE here. But i think this is not a legitimate position. The BCP card is only good at >$200 per month grocery spend. The ED card is only good if you use AMEX for travel redemptions. The Sallie Mae is only available to US permanent residents like all Barclay cards. If you fit neither of these categories the BCE seems like a decent choice esp if you just want some Amex card like the OP does.

Not hating, analysis.  If you can't get the Sallie Mae, then yes, BCE is OK (at best) if spending is small.  But many of the people getting it are not in that category, and haven't done the math.   Most stop at BCE vs BCP, and that is not the right choice (again for those who can get Sallie Mae).

But that was my point though. Whenever people asked here I recommended the SM card, it is great. But there are SOME people for who the BCE is the right choice. 

The problem I see with the ED at very low spend is that it will take you forever to actually accumulate enough points to redeem for any meaningul travel, and there is always the risk of point devaluation. 

Another interesting option is this card - http://www.myconsumers.org/loans-credit/visa-cards/visa-signature-cash-rebate-card.html - which gives a rewards structure slightly better than the BCE (convenience store included in 3%) and it allows you to get a 4% APY rewards checking account. 

Yep. We call THOSE people Iowans. or is it Iowegians?

Actually, I'm not sure what we call em.

I'm not sure I understand this comment.  Are you saying that BCE could be a the better choice for people who live in Iowa? 

I think if Amex MR grocery cards were being compared, a better comparison would be ED vs EDP vs PRG.   And in this case, the EDP seems to earn the best rewards, even at low spending levels and after the AF is deducted (as long as 30 transactions are made).  One reason not to go for EDP would be if it was difficult to hit the 30 transaction monthly minimum, which is my case, currently.  Another reason would be if someone just wanted a no-fee card to get in with Amex or to store MR (which has previously required paying annual fees).

If cashback grocery cards are being compared, the comparison would be Sallie Mae vs BCE vs BCP vs BC, as has already been discussed here and shown that there is no spend level where BCE is a good choice when analyzed alongside the other equally attainable cards covering this type of spend.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 43 of 87
TheFate
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

I eventually want at least two AMEX cards for backdating as my accounts age, so if nothing better comes along I will probably apply for the Fidelity.  

The Fidelity Amex won't backdate.  That only applies to cards issued by American Express, not cards that use their payment network.  Fidelity Amex is issued by FIA, part of Bank of America, not American Express.

Good to know! Thanks....I would have been disappointed if I applied and expected the back dating!

I personally don't get what the hype of backdating is all about. Is that for people who plan on closing the account then coming back?

Please don't call it hype if you don't understand the concept, just ask nicely!

Backdating allows subsequent American Express cards to appear old, helping your AAoA and thus score.   Basically, I get my first Amex in Month/Year, say, Sep  2010.

Now any subsequent (personal) Amex card I get later gets backdated to 2010 (and the month that you apply, for reasons only known to them).  So if I apply today, and get a brand new card,, but on the credit report it shows the card was opened in Jul 2010!  Actually older than the original Amex.

This helps people a lot with small number of accounts or people who get a lot of cards and need something to keep the AAoA better.

I guess its wrong to call it hype not knowing the facts but now that I know the facts.... It's Hype.

First of all, Amex cards are mediocre at best. As big as a company they are, its a shame they let other competitors out compete them on CB %'s.. Not to mention once you have a card with them you don't qualify for any additional signup promos. Unless you can slip thru the cracks by closing the account then re-applying which I'm pretty sure they've caught on to by now. So whats the real purpose of backdating? So you can add on another mediocre card to your wallet 5 years from now and have it listed the same as your first amex's date? I'm not impressed. 

Lets be honest, most people here only have Amex because they backdate and offer 3xCLI's which results to large CL's. Without that how many of you would stick it out with them?

Message 44 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

I guess its wrong to call it hype not knowing the facts but now that I know the facts.... It's Hype.

First of all, Amex cards are mediocre at best. As big as a company they are, its a shame they let other competitors out compete them on CB %'s.. Not to mention once you have a card with them you don't qualify for any additional signup promos. Unless you can slip thru the cracks by closing the account then re-applying which I'm pretty sure they've caught on to by now. So whats the real purpose of backdating? So you can add on another mediocre card to your wallet 5 years from now and have it listed the same as your first amex's date? I'm not impressed. 

Lets be honest, most people here only have Amex because they backdate and offer 3xCLI's which results to large CL's. Without that how many of you would stick it out with them?

Sorry you are not impressed!   But backdating can really help your score by raising the AAoA.  My second Amex, got in Dec 2013, was backdated to 1987, reversing the negative impact of several new cards that I got around the same time.

The sign-up bonus isn't One per Lifetime, you can only get it on a particular card once, but you can get bonuses on other cards.  Closing and reopening no longer works.

And not all Amex cards are mediocre at best.  For me, the Blue Cash is the best cashback card out there at present.     The Everyday Preferred is also very good in its space, and even the Everyday, a no AF card that transfers to partners, not aware of a similar card from any competitor.

And the protections with Amex are generally superior in practice to those on other cards, which matters when it matters.

And yes, there are a number of weak cards (Green and BCE for example) but other issuers have weak cards as well.

Message 45 of 87
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

Well the ED is my first Amex.  Before getting it, I used to think somewhat along those lines as well.  But I have only had great experiences with my ED so far.  The 20 transaction bonus is not hard, and thats coming from someone living outside of the USA.  I have spoken to customer service both via phone and online for two different reasons:

I first called when I first got my card to ask if I could change my due date to a very specific date.  I hadn't even used the card yet, but it was done in an instant and my first billing period was extended by 2 weeks.  I wasn't given a range of possible dates I could pick or anything like that.  It was just done.

I also asked someone online if my military commissary purchases would count for extra points (this isn't really a normal question that I imagine the CSRs getting regularly). But I was immediately told that all military commissaries count as grocery supermarkets.  And sure enough, I have verified getting extra points on all of these transactions.

I like the website as well. One unique feature is a neat color wheel that gradully fills clockwise with color as purchases post to show your bonus status.  It is easily accessible on my phone as well.  

I heard that the extended warranty coverage is second to none and is easy to make claims.

When I move back to the United States, I could probably earn more rewards with the EDP so will possibly apply at that time.  It is a nice benefit that this card which I plan to get in a year or two will backdate.  If Amex didn't offer backdating, I would probably still want the EDP, but would try for a PC before applying for a new card.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 46 of 87
TheFate
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Sorry you are not impressed!   But backdating can really help your score by raising the AAoA.  My second Amex, got in Dec 2013, was backdated to 1987, reversing the negative impact of several new cards that I got around the same time.

The sign-up bonus isn't One per Lifetime, you can only get it on a particular card once, but you can get bonuses on other cards.  Closing and reopening no longer works.

And not all Amex cards are mediocre at best.  For me, the Blue Cash is the best cashback card out there at present.     The Everyday Preferred is also very good in its space, and even the Everyday, a no AF card that transfers to partners, not aware of a similar card from any competitor.

And the protections with Amex are generally superior in practice to those on other cards, which matters when it matters.

And yes, there are a number of weak cards (Green and BCE for example) but other issuers have weak cards as well.

It's a great bonus if you plan on getting another Amex card but If one cannot find a purpose for the first, than not so great. I understand everyone's situation and spending habits are different but in my case there's nothing about any of their cards that has me like "Wow I NEED THAT CARD".

I've read numerous threads where people have stated that once you have received a signup bonus from an Amex CC you cannot get another. Maybe It's false info, I don't know I'm just stating what I've read.

Message 47 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

It's a great bonus if you plan on getting another Amex card but If one cannot find a purpose for the first, than not so great. I understand everyone's situation and spending habits are different but in my case there's nothing about any of their cards that has me like "Wow I NEED THAT CARD".

I've read numerous threads where people have stated that once you have received a signup bonus from an Amex CC you cannot get another. Maybe It's false info, I don't know I'm just stating what I've read.

Yes, it can easily be that your spending patterns and goals aren't met by any Amex card, so it makes no sense for you to get one.  (Although that seemed to be your goal in starting the thread).   But above you were making much more general statements about the uselessness for all, which really isn't true.

Yes, there is a lot of confusion about the bonuses, but people latch on to great phrases like "Once in a lifetime" but the T&Cs and many examples show it is not nearly as restrictive as some have assumed, and is much more in line with say Chase, which now prevents you getting the bonus on the CSP more than once.

BTW: I am far from a cheerleader for Amex, there are a number of annoying stupid things that just make them money (cashback posting a statement cycle in arrears, few cards without FTF).  But they have one card that I find extremely useful, and (presumably) some others like theirs.

Message 48 of 87
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

There were some misconceptions about how the new policy worked before anyone had actually tested it.  There have since been a few members who have now reported receiving bonuses on additional cards from Amex, just no more bonus for closing and re-opening the same card.

Message 49 of 87
Open123
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

At present, Amex sign-up bonuses are as follows:

1.  For personal cards, it is one per lifetime per card product.  

2.  For Business cards, it's one every 12 months per card.

So, if you're so inclined, you can sign up and receive a bonus for each of their personal cards.  For instance, receive the bonus for the PRG, Platinum, BCP, Blue Sky, EDP, HHonors, etc....before you exhaust all of the bonuses, you'll either get FR'ed, or tired of app'ing.  I haven't the slightest clue where this "one bonus per lifetime" got started, but it's clearly faulty information.

For business cards, you can churn each card once every 12 months.  For instance, I've gotten the 100K bonus on the Gold 2X, and 100K bonus on the Plat 2X, and will get another SPG bonus the 2nd time this October.

Compared to Chase (only once or 24 months in some cases), Amex is much more liberal on sign-up bonuses, but not nearly as liberal as Citi, who allows for a new bonus on the Bus AA every 90 days.

All things being equal, Amex's warranty and purchase protection is without peer.  For some, the PRG, EDP and SPG cards are absolutely "best in class" with the higest return on spending.  The only glaring weakness Amex is that they charge forex fees on most of their cards, even the high priced PRG!

Message 50 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.