Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday VS Blue Cash Everyday

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday VS Blue Cash Everyday

@longtimelurker wrote:

And yes, there are a number of weak cards (Green and BCE for example) but other issuers have weak cards as well.

LOL...don't mean to pile it on and "hating" on the BCE and the Green, but along with the Blue are definitely their weaknest cards, and which no longer serve a purpose in their product offerings.

Message 51 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

And yes, there are a number of weak cards (Green and BCE for example) but other issuers have weak cards as well.

LOL...don't mean to pile it on and "hating" on the BCE and the Green, but along with the Blue are definitely their weaknest cards, and which no longer serve a purpose in their product offerings.

Forgot about the Blue.  That is totally replaced by the Everyday, which is better in every way.

Message 52 of 87
TheFate
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

I guess its wrong to call it hype not knowing the facts but now that I know the facts.... It's Hype.

First of all, Amex cards are mediocre at best. As big as a company they are, its a shame they let other competitors out compete them on CB %'s.. Not to mention once you have a card with them you don't qualify for any additional signup promos. Unless you can slip thru the cracks by closing the account then re-applying which I'm pretty sure they've caught on to by now. So whats the real purpose of backdating? So you can add on another mediocre card to your wallet 5 years from now and have it listed the same as your first amex's date? I'm not impressed. 

Lets be honest, most people here only have Amex because they backdate and offer 3xCLI's which results to large CL's. Without that how many of you would stick it out with them?

Sorry you are not impressed!   But backdating can really help your score by raising the AAoA.  My second Amex, got in Dec 2013, was backdated to 1987, reversing the negative impact of several new cards that I got around the same time.

The sign-up bonus isn't One per Lifetime, you can only get it on a particular card once, but you can get bonuses on other cards.  Closing and reopening no longer works.

And not all Amex cards are mediocre at best.  For me, the Blue Cash is the best cashback card out there at present.     The Everyday Preferred is also very good in its space, and even the Everyday, a no AF card that transfers to partners, not aware of a similar card from any competitor.

And the protections with Amex are generally superior in practice to those on other cards, which matters when it matters.

It's a great bonus if you plan on getting another Amex card but If one cannot find a purpose for the first, than not so great. I understand everyone's situation and spending habits are different but in my case there's nothing about any of their cards that has me like "Wow I NEED THAT CARD".

I've read numerous threads where people have stated that once you have received a signup bonus from an Amex CC you cannot get another. Maybe It's false info, I don't know I'm just stating what I've read.

Yes, it can easily be that your spending patterns and goals aren't met by any Amex card, so it makes no sense for you to get one.  (Although that seemed to be your goal in starting the thread).   But above you were making much more general statements about the uselessness for all, which really isn't true.

Yes, there is a lot of confusion about the bonuses, but people latch on to great phrases like "Once in a lifetime" but the T&Cs and many examples show it is not nearly as restrictive as some have assumed, and is much more in line with say Chase, which now prevents you getting the bonus on the CSP more than once.

BTW: I am far from a cheerleader for Amex, there are a number of annoying stupid things that just make them money (cashback posting a statement cycle in arrears, few cards without FTF).  But they have one card that I find extremely useful, and (presumably) some others like theirs.

In all honesty I just keep trying to convince myself that I need an amex because of their 3xCLI (Clearly I'm not the only one) but reality is if its such a beneficial card then It shouldn't need convincing. BCP I would assume is a great card if you spend highly on groceries and gas, but in my case no matter how hard I try to fit the piece of the puzzle the piece just wont fit.

@I just wish they had a card that offered 5% on other catagories, but since Sallie Mae has those catagories covered @ 5% CB it basically cancels out Amex. So I figured maybe I can get the ED since it offers a different reward, MR. But, from what I'm reading if the ED is only used for light spending its basically pointless. Which in return sets me back to square 1 with Amex.

So if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I would like to find an Amex card that fits my spending where I can benefit.

Message 53 of 87
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Forgot about the Blue.  That is totally replaced by the Everyday, which is better in every way.

Right, just as if the Sallie Mae were an Amex card, it would completely cannibalize the BCE, just as the ED has the Blue.

Message 54 of 87
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

At least platinum and delta cards no longer have ftf,hopefully more amex cards will follow suit.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 55 of 87
Open123
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

So if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I would like to find an Amex card that fits my spending where I can benefit.

Aside from the Blue Cash for high tiered 5% spending, Amex excels in travel rewards, not cashback.  For anyone whose preference is cash, there are better suited issuers than Amex, in my view.

The only Amex cash cards worth considering are the Blue Cash and BCP.  That's it.

Message 56 of 87
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

At least platinum and delta cards no longer have ftf,hopefully more amex cards will follow suit.

Right, and they really should make the PRG forex free too.

Message 57 of 87
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Aside from the Blue Cash for high tiered 5% spending, Amex excels in travel rewards, not cashback.  For anyone whose preference is cash, there are better suited issuers than Amex, in my view.

The only Amex cash cards worth considering are the Blue Cash and BCP.  That's it.

I'm not shuting down the point system entirely, i'm just saying from what others have stated the MR is pointless at min spending.

I'll be purchasing a house in 2-3 years so I'm very conservative at this point, but would still love to benefit on what I do spend

Message 58 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

In all honesty I just keep trying to convince myself that I need an amex because of their 3xCLI (Clearly I'm not the only one) but reality is if its such a beneficial card then It shouldn't need convincing. BCP I would assume is a great card if you spend highly on groceries and gas, but in my case no matter how hard I try to fit the piece of the puzzle the piece just wont fit.

@I just wish they had a card that offered 5% on other catagories, but since Sallie Mae has those catagories covered @ 5% CB it basically cancels out Amex. So I figured maybe I can get the ED since it offers a different reward, MR. But, from what I'm reading if the ED is only used for light spending its basically pointless. Which in return sets me back to square 1 with Amex.

It's probably better just to forget about Amex for now until your needs or their cards change.  I'm one of those who don't think large CLs should be that great a draw (unless you have a specific need for a large CL on one card).   If your spending is relatively small, and fits in the Sallie Mae cap, a large CL may feel good but has no practical value if utiiization is under control.  In addition, too large a CL may eventually prevent you from getting other cards if issuers start to worry about exposure.

Message 59 of 87
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Right, and they really should make the PRG forex free too.

Prg and spg need to remove ftf. They are still very good for domestic travel though 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 60 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.