Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday vs BCE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Everyday vs BCE

I know this has been discussed, however, I wanted a more current opinion.

Hey guys,

I was wondering which card was better for my use. I like BCE's categories of gas/groceries, but I think everyone agrees that SMMC could easily replace it, which is what I would do.

Since my TE is leaving me soon, would everday be a better card to PC to? I do plan on traveling. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Everyday vs BCE

If your thing is maximizing cash back, the ED is not a good choice.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

But I would be maximizing using SM MC for those cateogories that BCE uses. 

Message 3 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But I would be maximizing using SM MC for those cateogories that BCE uses. 

Not sure you would be maximizing on SM MC because of the $250 caps.
Message 4 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know this has been discussed, however, I wanted a more current opinion.

Hey guys,

I was wondering which card was better for my use. I like BCE's categories of gas/groceries, but I think everyone agrees that SMMC could easily replace it, which is what I would do.

Since my TE is leaving me soon, would everday be a better card to PC to? I do plan on traveling. 

I didn't know/think you could PC to the ED from a TE. I thought maybe you could do a BCE though.

Anyway, as far as BCE vs SM...for low spend, SM does earn more rewards, but Amex also has amex offers and you can well end up earning more if the offers end up being of use to you. So weigh your options. SM gets a lot of love on here, and I feel it's a touch overrated. However, I rarely use my BCE, but that's because I get most of my groceries at BJ's and I have their mastercard.

To use for cash, the ED is useless as you will get poor value (very poor). For travel redemptions it can be work, but really only shines if you are going to put the vast majority of your spending on it and get the extra swipes bonus, etc.

I think for most people especially those w several cards, BCE is probably a better bet than ED simply because the return is probably going to be higher overall unless you use the ED all the time and redeem for travel. Sallie Mae is not a bad option, either. It's just preference. Since you're already in with Amex it's possible your TE could be changed to a BCE, with no new HP or new TL like you'd get with a Sallie.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reason a lot of people like ED is if you plan on getting MR cards with a bonus and then cancelling after a year. 

Say you get the PRG for 50k MR points. But you don't use those points in the first year. You can then keep the points if you have an ED but if you don't, then you lose all the MR points when you cancel. 

For actual earning, ED sucks. You get 2.4 MR points at grocery stores. You have to value one MR point at over 2 cents to make this better than Sallie. With BA transfers devaluing, it will be pretty hard to get that value. 

That being said the ED might still be worth having for free $30 a year on Small business saturday and the occasional Amex offer. 

I very much doubt that you will be able to change your TE to an ED though, so this is likely a non-starter

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done some calculations for my ED - the statistic is year to date 08/01/15.

Spent - $6005.65 (mostly Costco + a few Amex offers like 2x MR points or cash back).

Earned MR's - 13266. (Sign up bonus is not included).

1 MR worth 0.6 cent, 13266 MRs = $79.6, so it is about 1.325% cash back.

I used a few Amex offers this year: $5 cach back in PetSmart and 3 times $25 cash back in BJ's) - $80.

So effective cash back is about 2.657%.

It is the worst card for every day use across my card board, but I use it only if it is worth (or if I can't use other one).

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

meh... its easy to hit the 20 swipes. I would sit down and see what you actually spend and what you want. 

I love my PRG/ED combo...basically I am getting 1.2 on general, 2.4 groceries, 2 restaurants, 2 on gas, 3 on flights direct with airline.... so you could argue with an avg redemption value of 2 cents a point (could be much higher, or less)..... thats 2.4 on general, unlimited 4.8 on groceries, 4 on restaurants, 4 on gas, 6 on flights.... not too bad.

If my straps were tighter here, then by all means, all cash back.... But I use coupons anyway so its just a nice way for me to bank some points.

Now 2 years from now after I have actually redeemed some decent flights or hotels, or upgrades, my view on the whole thing could easily change.... 

I would just apply now for the ED, targeted prg 50k, then let that true earnings convert to a citi account. Its not like you get to keep membership dates anymore, right? Or is this an exception of TE to BCE?

Message 8 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Spent - $6005.65 (mostly Costco + a few Amex offers like 2x MR points or cash back).

I used a few Amex offers this year: $5 cach back in PetSmart and 3 times $25 cash back in BJ's) - $80.

It is the worst card for every day use across my card board, but I use it only if it is worth (or if I can't use other one).

Why 1MR = 0.6c?   Is that taking it at statement credit or something?

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why 1MR = 0.6c?   Is that taking it at statement credit or something?

Who knows, but that is a huge WASTE of MR... even at .7 for amazon.... best to transfer to partners or use for hotel specials, etc..... 

I am just gettin so friggin irritated at all the grocery stores that are coded as drug stores. Makes no sense. I am not talking about wally world or target either. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.