Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday vs Blue Cash Everyday

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Amex Everyday vs Blue Cash Everyday

It seems like a lot of people don't like the BCE very much but really like the Everyday by American Express.

They really seem like the same card to me. The only difference I can see is the 20% increase on points with 20 charges per billing cicle. That and the bonus they are offering for $1000 in spending in the first 3 months.

Why the love for Everyday and not Blue?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Everyday vs Blue Cash Everyday

That's what I've been wondering. I've only seen the 20% as the big difference but they are almost the same card.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 2 of 28
amakol
Regular Contributor

Everyday is MR points which some can redeem for greater than 1 cent per point (much greater). BCE is pure cash back making it clearly inferior to Sallie Mae at low spend and BCP at high spend. There was less disdain for BCE before Sallie Mae became big on these boards. The revival of the old Blue Cash somehow factors into this in a way but I've never bothered to find out.

I don't know how to get the most out of MR points so I like BCE for simplicity. Once I get the Sallie Mae (not for another 6-12 months with recent Barclays Arrival app) I'll try to find something better to PC the BCE to. It's tough cause no AF Amex cards aren't really that useful making BCE another favorite for backdating purposes. Seriously what's the other option? Blue Sky at 1.33% all spend?

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 3 of 28
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@bonehead88 wrote:

Everyday is MR points which some can redeem for greater than 1 cent per point (much greater). BCE is pure cash back making it clearly inferior to Sallie Mae at low spend and BCP at high spend. There was less disdain for BCE before Sallie Mae became big on these boards. The revival of the old Blue Cash somehow factors into this in a way but I've never bothered to find out.

I don't know how to get the most out of MR points so I like BCE for simplicity. Once I get the Sallie Mae (not for another 6-12 months with recent Barclays Arrival app) I'll try to find something better to PC the BCE to. It's tough cause no AF Amex cards aren't really that useful making BCE another favorite for backdating purposes. Seriously what's the other option? Blue Sky at 1.33% all spend?

Having never used points before, could you tell me what MR points are? 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 4 of 28
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

MR points can be redeemed for a number of things, but the only way to get more than 1 cent per point out of it is to transfer it to airliner/hotel loyatly program.

In short, unless you travel often and stick to a particular airliner/hotel, MR points are pretty medicore.

Message 5 of 28
amakol
Regular Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@bonehead88 wrote:

Having never used points before, could you tell me what MR points are? 

Membership Rewards points. They're the program that the Amex charge cards use for redemption. They supposedly have good deals for travel purchases through transferring points to frequent flyer programs but since this isn't my cup of tea I don't know more about this. When I had to close my PRG I used my balance for Home Depot gift cards.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 6 of 28
nyancat
Established Contributor

I'm not sure of the reason for the hatred of frequent flier programmes on here, they're worth far more than 1 pt/mile with any decent redemption... thus, the Everyday card is much better than the Blue Cash Everyday, though the BCE sure isn't a BAD card for grocery spend... and the cash redemption is, of course, more immediate...

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 7 of 28
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

How about both? Smiley Very Happy (in my signature)

Message 8 of 28
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Even with MR points (not easy to navigate but let me assume it's better), the Everyday card has 20% bonus and 2% on groceries; there's nothing about gas or department stores. Not sure how it's beating BCE. Is there some trick calculation that I missed?

Yes, Sallie Mae trumps BCE for most of my requirement, but it's good to have an AMEX (also in case I need to spend more than Sallie's $250 limit / month). 

PS (and off-topic). The Everyday won't let me have the bonus. Not my post-garden card then.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 28
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Even with MR points (not easy to navigate but let me assume it's better), the Everyday card has 20% bonus and 2% on groceries; there's nothing about gas or department stores. Not sure how it's beating BCE. Is there some trick calculation that I missed?

Yes, Sallie Mae trumps BCE for most of my requirement, but it's good to have an AMEX (also in case I need to spend more than Sallie's $250 limit / month). 

PS (and off-topic). The Everyday won't let me have the bonus. Not my post-garden card then.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Smiley Sad

To get the bonus, apply from an incognito/InPrivate/whatever your browser calls it window where you haven't logged into your American Express account.

And it beats it because 1.2 airline miles is easily more valuable than 2 cents. 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.