Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex FR Ended...;))

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex FR Ended...;))

@Pat94108 wrote:

It comes as no surprise that it'd look bad if an issuer closes your account because it's delinquent, however, if the credit card issuer closes a card and the account is in good standing, as other said, it won't look bad on your report. If someone has a good credit, no late etc. I don't see how a account close by creditor could look bad.

Oh actually, my question just got answered, I guess, just saw this line: A cancellation due to delinquency or default will ding your credit score. Any other reason should not, Sprauve says. 

I done a lot research prior FR and it was advised to call and close it volunterarily than waiting for them to close it. Do whatever floats your boat Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 37
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

It comes as no surprise that it'd look bad if an issuer closes your account because it's delinquent, however, if the credit card issuer closes a card and the account is in good standing, as other said, it won't look bad on your report. If someone has a good credit, no late etc. I don't see how a account close by creditor could look bad.

Oh actually, my question just got answered, I guess, just saw this line: A cancellation due to delinquency or default will ding your credit score. Any other reason should not, Sprauve says. 

I done a lot research prior FR and it was advised to call and close it volunterarily than waiting for them to close it. Do whatever floats your boat Smiley Happy

What are you talking about? I don't have any FR issue. I just wanted to clarify that an account closed by a creditor doesn't look bad on your report if the account is in good standing and the article answered my question. Longtime Lurker had already answered my question, but your reply to him confused me. If now you were advised to close the account because of a FR then maybe it was warranted. Plenty of people on this board have survived FR , and their accounts were in good standing so they were not closed by the credit card issuer. 

Message 22 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

That's nice, and my experience is a counter example, so far from clear!

There is at least one time when preemptively closing might make sense, with an issuer like Citi or Chase, when they are looking at one card for "perk abuse"  Generally, if found guily, they will shut down all of your cards.   Some closed the problem card as soon as it was frozen, hoping that that would end the analysis and they would be able to keep their other cards.

Message 23 of 37
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, but the bit you didn't bold, stated:   A cancellation due to delinquency or default will ding your credit score. Any other reason should not, Sprauve says. 

And defaults or lates already impact the score anyway.

Last month Amex closed one of my cards because, well, they wanted to.  Soon after, I pulled my reports from here.  On the two CRAs where it reported as Account closed by credit grantor,  the scores were 848.  For some reason it showed as still open on EX, with a score of 844.   So one or two closed for any reason other the default or similar doesn't hurt the score at least.  Too many will get attention on manual review maybe.

ETA: Beaten by Pat94108!

Exactly! That's the reason why I put it in bold in my comment lol

Message 24 of 37
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

That's nice, and my experience is a counter example, so far from clear!

There is at least one time when preemptively closing might make sense, with an issuer like Citi or Chase, when they are looking at one card for "perk abuse"  Generally, if found guily, they will shut down all of your cards.   Some closed the problem card as soon as it was frozen, hoping that that would end the analysis and they would be able to keep their other cards.

Thank you. That's what I thought. In such case, it might make sense to "beat' the credit card issuer. 

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

... seems that older credit scoring models in the past did indeed consider it to be negative ''Account closed by credit grantor.'' which result my misperception. 

Does it matter if credit card closed by creditor ?

When a credit card account is closed a comment or “narrative” is often included on the consumer’s credit report in order to provide additional information regarding the closure.

If a consumer closes his credit card the narrative would read, “Account closed by consumer.”

On the other hand if the account was closed by the credit card issuer then the narrative would read

“Account closed by credit grantor.”

There’s also a third, less common, method of reporting an account closure that is simply,

“Account closed.”

CREDIT SCORE IMPACT

The narratives or comments that are included on a consumer’s credit report can negatively impact credit scores.

However, the narratives which indicate how the account was closed are benign and have no impact on credit scores. That wasn’t always the case as much older credit scoring models did consider “Account closed by credit grantor” to be negative.

There are two primary reasons credit card issuers close accounts out from underneath their customers. The first is if you simply don’t use your card. Credit card issuers don’t make any money if you don’t use your card and after a prolonged period of inactivity they’re going to close your account.

The second reason you could be left with a credit card closed by lenders is because of an adverse change in your credit risk.

Credit card issuers have the ability to pull your credit reports and credit scores monthly, which means they can see if your scores are trending up or down. If your scores drop too low, perhaps because you missed a payment elsewhere, it’s not uncommon for a credit card issuer to mitigate their risk by closing your account.

If you’ve had a credit card closed by a lender, it could be time to look at whether you’ve been an active user or if your credit score has dropped.

Message 26 of 37
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

... seems that older credit scoring models in the past did indeed consider it to be negative ''Account closed by credit grantor.''

When a credit card account is closed a comment or “narrative” is often included on the consumer’s credit report in order to provide additional information regarding the closure.

If a consumer closes his credit card the narrative would read, “Account closed by consumer.”

On the other hand if the account was closed by the credit card issuer then the narrative would read

There’s also a third, less common, method of reporting an account closure that is simply,

“Account closed.”

CREDIT SCORE IMPACT

The narratives or comments that are included on a consumer’s credit report can negatively impact credit scores.

However, the narratives which indicate how the account was closed are benign and have no impact on credit scores. That wasn’t always the case as much older credit scoring models did consider “Account closed by credit grantor” to be negative.

There are two primary reasons credit card issuers close accounts out from underneath their customers. The first is if you simply don’t use your card. Credit card issuers don’t make any money if you don’t use your card and after a prolonged period of inactivity they’re going to close your account.

The second reason you could be left with a credit card closed by lenders is because of an adverse change in your credit risk.

Credit card issuers have the ability to pull your credit reports and credit scores monthly, which means they can see if your scores are trending up or down. If your scores drop too low, perhaps because you missed a payment elsewhere, it’s not uncommon for a credit card issuer to mitigate their risk by closing your account.

If you’ve had a credit card closed by a lender, it could be time to look at whether you’ve been an active user or if your credit score has dropped.

Like the article said, it's no longer the case. This article actually  support LongtimerLurker's narrative and mine as well. 

However, the narratives which indicate how the account was closed are benign and have no impact on credit scores.

The only thing the article is saying that it used to be different. 

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pat94108 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... seems that older credit scoring models in the past did indeed consider it to be negative ''Account closed by credit grantor.''

“Account closed.”

CREDIT SCORE IMPACT

Like the article said, it's no longer the case. This article actually  support LongtimerLurker's narrative and mine as well. 

However, the narratives which indicate how the account was closed are benign and have no impact on credit scores.

The only thing the article is saying that it used to be different. 

okay so i guess ill go apply for american express again. what do i have to lose ? just another FR Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may FR you upon app.
Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
They may FR you upon app.

i know and hard inquiry not worth it after already have 2 inquires from them i wasted before i may be better off somewhere else. the 3 shown under my sig im eye balling right now Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.