cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex FR from multiple payments per month?

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex FR from multiple payments per month?

I would be really surprised if frequency of payments is a trigger all by itself.

People who make frequent payments *because* they run up against their CL

several times a month almost certainly must raise some scrutiny for several

reasons, most of which have been mentioned above.

I set all my CC accounts up to pay twice a month. I have a billpay (push) from

my checking account on the statement date for all CC minimum payments. I have

an auto payment PIF set up at the CC issuer (pull) from the same checking

account. My monthly spend averages about 5-7% utilization reported before PIF.
My reasoning for this is I'm not particularly good about paying attention

to bill due dates and I rely on autopay to keep me from trouble. The redundant 

scheduled payments insures I never get tagged with a late. In 12 years of doing

my payments this way, the CC autopayment has never failed and the billpay has

only glitched once. Paying this way also results in occasionally having a small positive

balance on my card after the the due date auto payment. This is also supposed

to be a trigger for extra CC issuer scrutiny. I've never had a FR or AA and my

scores are always in the low 800's. I think there is a chance that CC issuers

really like to have an autopayment set up on their websites because that gives 

them added assurance that your bank account is stabile and funded. I *think* 

they have treated me a little better over the years for CLI's and PC's because of

paying this way.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 11 of 54
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

Last may I was instantly approved for a Platinum, PRG and BCE within three days. Before I had a chance to use them I was FR'd a couple of weeks later.

At that point I did not have an SSN and my income was not deposited in my BofA acc since I get paid to my foreign acc. So AmEx closed all three accounts.

So I feel what triggered them was three new AmEx TLs within three days and very limites history.
CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 12 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

@amdm2013 wrote:
Last may I was instantly approved for a Platinum, PRG and BCE within three days. Before I had a chance to use them I was FR'd a couple of weeks later.

At that point I did not have an SSN and my income was not deposited in my BofA acc since I get paid to my foreign acc. So AmEx closed all three accounts.

So I feel what triggered them was three new AmEx TLs within three days and very limites history.

yea I think you opened too many tradelines and Amex issued you too much credit over too short of a time period.

Have you tried talking to EO? Sometimes they would accept foreign bank / tax documents as proof of income as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 54
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

They wouldnt accept foreign docs. Now my acc ia in order I will reapply in the next few months.
CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 14 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Still, from a consumer view, that doesn't look good.  They shouldn't have approved, and if they really FRd before the cards were used, there was no suspicious behavior to trigger.

Message 15 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Still, from a consumer view, that doesn't look good.  They shouldn't have approved, and if they really FRd before the cards were used, there was no suspicious behavior to trigger.

well yea, but from their perspective, they could claim the customer exhibited "risky credit behavior" by being desperate for credit.

It sounds like they wanted him to have the cards, but only with the condition that he can verify his income.

Then again, I agree with what you are saying. If they were suspicious to start with, they should have just asked for proof of income before finalizing the app.

@amdm2013 wrote:
They wouldnt accept foreign docs. Now my acc ia in order I will reapply in the next few months.

Keep calling and trying, if you are still bothered enough to do it. It does take quite a bit of effort to get a hold of the correct person, but Amex does accept foreign docs and sometimes makes exceptions for people whom are not in 'normal' circumstances, i.e. those who pay no income tax. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 54
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

Sorry Fico2Go, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

The FR rep told me they only required US bank statements. So, since June 2013 my income is transferred to my BofA acc.

It's too late to recon now. I reapplied in Oct but was declined because at that time one cc was over 50% util and new TLs opened and too many inqs. Recon was denied so I lost another HP. I also faxed docs to the same rep from FR but never heard from here. LOL!

Message 17 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

@amdm2013 wrote:
Sorry bada_bing, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

The FR rep told me they only required US bank statements. So, since June 2013 my income is transferred to my BofA acc.

It's too late to recon now. I reapplied in Oct but was declined because at that time one cc was over 50% util and new TLs opened and too many inqs. Recon was denied so I lost another HP. I also faxed docs to the same rep from FR but never heard from here. LOL!

I just noticed you have an Amex Centurion issued in another country.

Try this instead: https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/

US tax docs are not required. They just need proof of income / employment in the USA. If necessary you can also furnish them with tax / bank docs from the country that issued your Centurion.

Message 18 of 54
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

I really wouldn't want to transfer my Centurion card to a US-issued one. It's far much easier to sort out any issues from MENA than Amex US and I still have ties with my country of origin.
Message 19 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

@amdm2013 wrote:
I really wouldn't want to transfer my Centurion card to a US-issued one. It's far much easier to sort out any issues from MENA than Amex US and I still have ties with my country of origin.

you don't have to give up your original card. you can still keep it as long as you don't mind paying the AF.

Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.