cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex FR from multiple payments per month?

tag
ElBarrbaro
Valued Member

Re: Amex FR from multiple payments per month?

@Fico2Go wrote:

This is based on a personal theory but I think many or most of the FRs that people have become so fearful about with amex might be caused by excessive payment frequency.  Has anyone received FR simply from making payments once a month? 

It would seem that users who pay frequently could be sending the message that they lack income or are taking from Peter to pay Paul. 

Have I gone overboard to assume this?

I get what your saying but i just dont see why it would be that way.  Simply doesn't make sense, but on the other hand i am a newbie around here so it is entirely possible that i dont know what im talking about Smiley Very Happy.  But one thing i do know about is not making enough money to cover your payments and i can assure you that before i went to school and made beans for a salary i barely had enough money to make ONE payment to ANY credit card let alone multiples like you suggest above that multiple payments show lack of income...hence why im currently in rebuilding mode.  Today, im done with school, making a great salary ($115K base, not including bonuses per year) and i have made multiple payments on my Delta Amex, But i don't fear the FR even if it is quite intrusive as others have said, im not asking for it but if my number is called I'll answer it...

Message 41 of 54
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

@amdm2013 wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

Regarding Chase and payment holds: never had it happen, paying 8k+ multiple times a month. But my banks are great and clear ACH debits rapidly.

Regarding AMEX FR from multiple payments: Nope.

@amdm2013: You should use Global Transfer to open a US PRG if you don't want to pay Cent in both countries. AMEX will transfer your credit history from MENA to US, and you'll get backdated to when you first joined AMEX in MENA, so your credit history will magically grow to X years. Thanks. Will give them a call and it will be backdated to 2001.Smiley Happy

Why do you have so many BofA/FIA cards? Smiley Happy I got them before getting my SSN since they were they only bank offering me cc's. I tried to consolidate them into three cards last week, but, didn't work out to my favour (reasons mentioned in my previous thread).

Actually the bigger question is why do you have Credit One! I luv CreditOne ... got a CLI to $500 in two weeks . hahaha! Actually, it was my first card I got approved instantly when I first got my SSN. I was only testing online applications.

IMHO, you should focus on building a portfolio of a smaller number of quality cards, rather than a large number of cards with smaller CLs. Having the Credit One on your CR is probably not helping in manual review situations. You should also try to start conserving HPs for at least 6 months.

I don't know if AMEX does a US HP for the Global Transfer, but AMEX should be your focus IMHO. Then maybe some Chase cards once your backdate reports. You need some 5K+ CLs before you seriously entertain Chase CSP/Ink+/Ink Bold/etc.

To give you my story, I got my SSN in Sep 2012. Since then, I've added (in order):

5K secured card with a CU (now unsecured)

23.5K AMEX SPG + AMEX PRG + AMEX BizPlat

12.5K CSP + Ink+

AMEX SPG is a great card, plus you can use their CLI policy to your advantage (3x at 61 days, another 3x 6 months after that) to really get some meaningful CLs on your CR. Lenders love to match CLs.

Except USAA, I called in after I did a CLI online and they were $400 under the initial limit of my HHonors card, the rep said he couldnt do anything. A few days later I did the 3X CLI on my HHonors card and got $8700. Im really bitter about it, especially since I have had a longer history with them banking and credit wise than Amex.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 42 of 54
taxi818
Super Contributor

Old thread guys. But IMO. Multiple is just fine. 

Message 43 of 54
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Making multiple payments won't get you a Fr. Unless you keep going to your spending limit and paying it off. For example if your spending limit is 5,000 and you keep sending 5,000 every 2 days and paying it off and spending again. That's a red flag.

I make a Amex payment every 2-3 days only because my limit is low. On our business cards we have a limit of 135-140k. I'm charging like 500k a month right now. We make a 30-40k payment every few days.
Message 44 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Canary in the coal mine.

Ya, I'm not biting. I've read other threads where people talk about giving payments every week to amex, and the csr actually thanks them for doing so...

I had my gallbladder taken out, my bf aunt came to me talking about her experience with gallbladder disease. At one point she tells me her major trigger for a gallbladder attack was marinara sauce. Immediatly I was like, "I was eating pizza when I had my first gallbladder attack!" Wierd...but no. Not wierd. Not the marinara sauce either. What do you almost always eat alongside the marinara............what. Cheese and Butter. Some people can see the connections here, other people never will.

A meal with marinara sauce usually denotes a really fatty meal even though marinara has almost none. Just a canary.

Message 45 of 54
NRB525
Super Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to buy any marinara sauce. I don't want a FR Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 46 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to buy any marinara sauce. I don't want a FR Smiley Wink

LOL..

Message 47 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this makes a lot of sense. If your pay so much they may feel you have a non-stable lifestyle

Message 48 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not saying it would trigger a FR to pay multiple times a month alone, but imo paying once a month is best.

The only reason i can think of to pay multiple times a month is a low CL. Other then that paying multiple times a month would imply(To me at least) that you don't have enough to cover it the first time.

I have always just paid once a month in full by the "Please pay by" date.

Message 49 of 54
IllinoisNative
Contributor

Paying multiple times per month is not only for people with low credit lines. I work for a large bank and we have many high spenders who pay multiple times per month so that their utilization doens't take a hit.  And these are people paying over 15k plus per month.  Even with a high limit, nobody wants more than 30% utilization reporting even if they are high spenders who pay off their balance in full every month.  A lot of people with large limits are anal about spending and paying immediately after a purchase.

I'm someone who makes multiple payments per month and always pays in full.  It has nothing to do with if I don't have the funds at the time.  If I don't have funds at the time and am hurting for cash, I'm probably not paying off my balance in full every month.  Smiley Wink  I'm also anal about not wanting to see a balance on my cards.  I literally have to force myself to not make a payment before my statement closing date so at least something is reporting.  I'm also earning rewards on my purchases.  So I use the card for the points and them immediately pay it off.

Regarding holds on payments, we do don't do this if you make multiple payments.  We do this on new accounts who have no payment history with us especially if they make large payments.  On establised accounts, we do this if you make a payment larger than  your normal payment history, if you've had a returned payment or some recent payment problem.  But just for making multiple payments?  Nope.  There usually has to be another red flag.

Message 50 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.