Did you mean: 

Amex FR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex FR

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

I think this advice is a bit of an overstep.  I understand some don't want to play the tax transcript game with Amex but this is a simple request for bank statements which is, in my opinion, a lot better than having to turn over your tax info.

If the OP decides to comply or not is completely their choice and it will be respected around these here forums...but suggesting that someone ditch Amex (or any lender) simply because they ask for income verification as they allow your to borrow thousands of unsecured dollars is a bit of an overstep in my opinion.

To the OP, browse the forums and ask questions like you have.  Take in all the information you so desire and make an informed decision.  Don't let the thoughts and opinions of anyone here outweigh that of your own.  Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.

True - a bank statement request is better than a tax form request. 

And yes, it's their choice on whether to comply or not; however, they're looking for advice. My advice is to just laugh at them and walk away. Nobody should have to jump through hoops for a card unless it's the Centurion Card or the JP Morgan Reserve or something. 

Message 11 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

I think this advice is a bit of an overstep.  I understand some don't want to play the tax transcript game with Amex but this is a simple request for bank statements which is, in my opinion, a lot better than having to turn over your tax info.

If the OP decides to comply or not is completely their choice and it will be respected around these here forums...but suggesting that someone ditch Amex (or any lender) simply because they ask for income verification as they allow your to borrow thousands of unsecured dollars is a bit of an overstep in my opinion.

To the OP, browse the forums and ask questions like you have.  Take in all the information you so desire and make an informed decision.  Don't let the thoughts and opinions of anyone here outweigh that of your own.  Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.

And yes, it's their choice on whether to comply or not; however, they're looking for advice. My advice is to just laugh at them and walk away. Nobody should have to jump through hoops for a card unless it's the Centurion Card or the JP Morgan Reserve or something. 

Providing 3 bank statements is certainly not jumping through hoops.. If more lenders even asked for the basics alot less people with get into credit trouble.  Just my 2 cents.. Not saying that is OP's case at all, but blindly trusting an unsecure debt without any proof of assets is risky and putting any lender at risk.  Least with a car it is a secured asset and can be repoed.  I hardly think it is asking to much for pay stubs

Message 12 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, if one could be approved for a Centurian card or the JP Morgan Reseve, I dont imagine those individuals jumping through hoopsSmiley Wink.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

Providing 3 bank statements is certainly not jumping through hoops.. If more lenders even asked for the basics alot less people with get into credit trouble.  Just my 2 cents.. Not saying that is OP's case at all, but blindly trusting an unsecure debt without any proof of assets is risky and putter any lender at risk.  Least with a car it is a secured asset and can be repoed.  I hardly think it is asking to much for pay stubs

Agreed - but do it before lending the money in the first place... Not after the fact.  

Message 14 of 21
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I agree with mountaindewvoltage.  They should do it before the fact.  Suddenly shutting down a card without warning for a financial review not only angers the cardholder, but it also creates an embarrasing situation for both retail merchant and customer when the card is denied at the register in front of a line of people.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

Providing 3 bank statements is certainly not jumping through hoops.. If more lenders even asked for the basics alot less people with get into credit trouble.  Just my 2 cents.. Not saying that is OP's case at all, but blindly trusting an unsecure debt without any proof of assets is risky and putter any lender at risk.  Least with a car it is a secured asset and can be repoed.  I hardly think it is asking to much for pay stubs

Agreed - but do it before lending the money in the first place... Not after the fact.  

So with your analogy you're saying if a card holder earns a quarter million dollars annually, today, when they apply for a card that should be true and indicative of their future earnings and a lender shouldn't at any point ever request validity of income afterwards? 

I know and work with people who are promoted and demoted on regular basis.  Companies come and go, people retire, get laid off, terminated, or just flat out quit.  I'd be willing to bet that a small percentage of people ever call lenders and report a DECREASE in come.  Should a lender continue to let those who have income reduced continue to borrow at the same level in 2018 when their earning a quarter mil even if by next year their not even earning half of that?  It's interesting no one has a problem providing income when they're wanting an increase but if the lender wants to verify that you can actually afford the credit given, then game over.

I agree with CC, lenders should ask for a lot more up front and in my opinion should continue to ask for validity thereafter if risk calls for it.  Like it or not, as I've said before, their money, their rules.  And to those who say to walk away from lenders that do this...if every lender would step up their verification game they could *potentially* weed out those who have problems with compliance and send them back to the debit card world from which they came.

Message 16 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

So with your analogy you're saying if a card holder earns a quarter million dollars annually, today, when they apply for a card that should be true and indicative of their future earnings and a lender shouldn't at any point ever request validity of income afterwards? 

I know and work with people who are promoted and demoted on regular basis.  Companies come and go, people retire, get laid off, terminated, or just flat out quit.  I'd be willing to bet that a small percentage of people ever call lenders and report a DECREASE in come.  Should a lender continue to let those who have income reduced continue to borrow at the same level in 2018 when their earning a quarter mil even if by next year their not even earning half of that?  It's interesting no one has a problem providing income when they're wanting an increase but if the lender wants to verify that you can actually afford the credit given, then game over.

I agree with CC, lenders should ask for a lot more up front and in my opinion should continue to ask for validity thereafter if risk calls for it.  Like it or not, as I've said before, their money, their rules.  And to those who say to walk away from lenders that do this...if every lender would step up their verification game they could *potentially* weed out those who have problems with compliance and send them back to the debit card world from which they came.

But (as nearly always) it's also a question of degree.   "Ideally" from that viewpoint, everytime you try to make a charge above a small threshold (or perhaps always!) the issuer should ask for proof of current employment, live bank balance, and agreement from all the other issuers that you haven't also just put large charges on their cards.   And clearly almost no-one would use such a card, so there has to be some balance between convenience to the user and risk for the bank.   Unfortunately  banks can't be too transparent about how they evaluate risk, so some people will be flagged, rightly or wrongly, without knowing why.

So, if someone feels that one issuer (say Amex) is being overly sensitive, saying switch to another issuer makes perfect sense to me.

Message 17 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

But (as nearly always) it's also a question of degree.   "Ideally" from that viewpoint, everytime you try to make a charge above a small threshold (or perhaps always!) the issuer should ask for proof of current employment, live bank balance, and agreement from all the other issuers that you haven't also just put large charges on their cards.   And clearly almost no-one would use such a card, so there has to be some balance between convenience to the user and risk for the bank.   Unfortunately  banks can't be too transparent about how they evaluate risk, so some people will be flagged, rightly or wrongly, without knowing why.

So, if someone feels that one issuer (say Amex) is being overly sensitive, saying switch to another issuer makes perfect sense to me.

I think we all can agree within reason what is considered extreme.  Of course I'm not advocating for a lender to request said info for a pack of gum.  But with that being said, the OP hasn't returned to the post and I think all view points have been made.  I'll ask that this one be closed to further replies and it seems everything that can be said has been said.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous 

My analogy says to ask for proof of income before approving the card. 

If a lender is so concerned about risk, then lower the credit limit or the "purchasing power." It's easier for the bank to do that, and the cardholder might be a little p'd, but at least they're able to still use their card and not have it suspended for at least a week. 

The issue with CLI's is that the cardholder manually requested this action. AMEX seems to just randomly FR people for what seems like no reason at all. I could go charge a pack of gum on my Delta Gold card right now, and that may trigger a FR for all I know. 

Could all lenders do what AMEX does? Sure... But the bottom line is that they don't, which is why it's easy to just laugh at AMEX and move to another issuer to put all of your spending through. 

Message 19 of 21
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: the idea that lenders should do the FR before rather than after lending money. They ARE doing it before lending money, before lending any more money to be precise.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.