Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Families

tag
Ms6Footer
Contributor

Amex Families

I was reading another post about the Amex Families of Cards. I was a little confused on what they are. I for instance have Blue Delta Skymiles and Everyday.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Families

CM / BCE / BCP

ED / EDP

Green / Gold / Platinum

and so on.. co-brands usually have 2-3 version each as well.

Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CM / BCE / BCP

ED / EDP

Green / Gold / Platinum

And the term is used to determine if you can upgrade/downgrade/product change from one card to another.

The rule is only within families (generally, there have been a few exceptions).   So you can change a Gold to a Green or Plat (if approved), but you cannot go from a cashback card like the BCE to a point card like the ED, even though they reward similar things (groceries)

Message 3 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CM / BCE / BCP

ED / EDP

Green / Gold / Platinum

And the term is used to determine if you can upgrade/downgrade/product change from one card to another.

The rule is only within families (generally, there have been a few exceptions).   So you can change a Gold to a Green or Plat (if approved), but you cannot go from a cashback card like the BCE to a point card like the ED, even though they reward similar things (groceries)

And even though the Schwab Platinum is nearly identical to the regular Amex Platinum, it's not in the same family. A regular Platinum could become a Green or Gold, but not the Schwab. There are a few other un-PC-able cards like that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For CM/BCE/BCP family goes, does that mean if you get the SUB for the BCE does that make you ineligible for the CM/BCP SUB? Not a PC, but adding a new card if you already have one of the other two. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For CM/BCE/BCP family goes, does that mean if you get the SUB for the BCE does that make you ineligible for the CM/BCP SUB? Not a PC, but adding a new card if you already have one of the other two. 

No, you can get the SUB for each card, which are separate products. 

Message 6 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I think the term applies to which cards are “interchangeable.” For example, one can PC a cashback card to another cashback card (Magnet to BCE) but can’t change a cashback to a points card (Magnet to ED). So the families would be the cashback cards, the points cards, and the charge cards.  At least that’s my understanding of it. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.