cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Financial Review (Post Covid) Purgatory.

tag
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Amex Financial Review (Post Covid) Purgatory.

Yikes!  That was a mouthful.

So my story begins about a year ago at the beginning of the Covid crisis.  I work in the carnival / Outdoor amusement industry as a concessions guy. Our industry over night had shut down and things were looking extremely scary. 

At the beginning of each season, we as a whole make huge investments in new equipment in preparation for our season.  I had been down the path of rebuilding and did everything in my power to avoid defaulting on any payments.  I worked @ Uber, Lyft, Instacart, Shipt.. I took out ads on craigslist to deliver furniture and even got a job painting airport runways..   In the end I had to enter into an Amex program and make monthly payments on my platinum card. During the time I was in the program, all of my accounts were frozen... But my payment were very managable at $500.00 per month spread over 5 years.

By August, I Started a new Temporary business.. I opened two stores and had 7 portable operations spread througout 4 states..  Thankfully due to hard work and a bit of luck, I was able to repay my Amex balance in Full and exit out of the 5 year payment plan in 5 months.. (phew, that was close)

Then it happened.. In February, I woke up one day and my  my platinum card had a $4,000.00 limit.. My blue business card had a new limit of $700.00,  My other two Amex cards were reduced to $1,000.00 limits..  Around this time, fairs and festivals were starting to open again and things were looking up.  I continued to use my cards within the imposed limits and at times became very frustrated..  In Apr, I spent over $60,000.00 between my Blue business and Platinum cards which often required that I pay multiple times per day..

I had to pay so frequently to use the cards, that sometimes they would freeze all payments until they called the bank to verify funds.. which sometimes took as much as 40 minutes..  Talk about being mad and frustrated..   I called to speak to the responsible lending team, and sent tax returns for my business, but they wanted my personal assets that were run dry staying a float during a year where I was shut down..  I told them .. yeah, my income last year was 0.. I opened a savings account with AMEX and started direct depositing my paychecks into the account. (what I went through to keep these cards)

Anyway long story short, I finally "semi" passed a financial review today after my third attempt at getting a higher limt.. My platinum card still has a limit.. but its a much higher and usable $29,300.00 limit.  Im working on getting the $700.00 limit raised on my Blue Business Card.

These hoops that you have to jump through to work with Amex are absolutely amazing. That being said, I'm glad I survived and back on track to higher limits with then.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Financial Review (Post Covid) Purgatory.

Wow.  Thanks for sharing.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 17
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

If Amex hits you with a limit on a charge card, is it printed in big letters on top or something. I'm a new Gold holder, and I had to call CS to find out my starting limit was 25k. Does Amex send you an email when they put a limit on? 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@W261w261 They did for me... I was able to upgrade to the Platinum Card after repeated denials(persistence is key).

I was, eventually,  approved for an upgrade with a SUB; However, I met the spend way to quickly due to receiving an unexpected bonus at work. I started getting strange emails from Amex, asking if I needed financial assistance.

They later emailed me and said that they were putting a 4k spend limit on my card. I just found the whole thing hilarious given, five months later I still haven't defaulted or been late; In fact my debt has decreased.

I hope this helps you and others out. This has been my experience with Amex. I still have a 5k PoT limit though.

Message 4 of 17
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

They did send me a notice letting me konw the limit had been placed on my accounts. They also gave me a list of reasons.. 

Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tparks5961 I believe you can appeal. I haven't tried myself, but I felt their reasons were not valid. I would see if they're willing to remove the limits. It never hurts to ask Smiley Happy.

Message 6 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you came out of the work problems. Personally I would never rely on any bank that did this to me ever again and I suggest you start moving your business away from Amex and towards CUs and other banks. Once you hammered the balance to zip in 5 months on a 5 yr deal and that didnt matter would be the end of them for me. I dont carry Amex cards and never will again.

Message 7 of 17
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Hey dale, 

Ill be under 5/24 in October. If it wasn't for that fact, I would have applied for Chase business cards. 

After the work done over the past few months to get a decent limit, I'll have a few cards report this month to see how they react. Ill post UTI of around 35%.  I just need a break from paying this much attention to balances 8*)

I missed the statement date by 1 day on 3 cards last month so I had 3 cards report with a balance.. Dealing with them has been so exhausting.

I'm not sure if chase is any better.. Any thoughts?

Message 8 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@tparks5961 wrote:

Hey dale, 

Ill be under 5/24 in October. If it wasn't for that fact, I would have applied for Chase business cards. 

After the work done over the past few months to get a decent limit, I'll have a few cards report this month to see how they react. Ill post UTI of around 35%.  I just need a break from paying this much attention to balances 8*)

I missed the statement date by 1 day on 3 cards last month so I had 3 cards report with a balance.. Dealing with them has been so exhausting.

I'm not sure if chase is any better.. Any thoughts?

You could get a Chase card but they are known to whack just like Amex does though typically not demanding tax returns straight from the IRS for financial review. If it were myself I would most likely get one Chase business card and seek out several credit unions that offer business credit for a card or even a business LOC. Spreading the risk around really helps avoid this kind of thing.

Message 9 of 17
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

You could get a Chase card but they are known to whack just like Amex does though typically not demanding tax returns straight from the IRS for financial review. If it were myself I would most likely get one Chase business card and seek out several credit unions that offer business credit for a card or even a business LOC. Spreading the risk around really helps avoid this kind of thing.

+ 100

Over my 50+ years of CC's, all my current favorites are CU's.

I don't have Chase, Amex, BofA, or Citi  (* Anymore  *)

PS: I don't miss any of them either.    Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.