Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Financial Review-UPDATE Pg 5

tag
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Amex Financial Review-UPDATE Pg 5

Wellllllll. A little update. On the ground at the airport I get notifications that my Amex cards have been removed from Apple Pay. Then I check my accounts right before we take off and it says that all 5 of my Amex cards have been “temporarily suspended”. I have plenty of available credit on other cards for the trip thankfully. But I finally got someone on the phone after we landed at Amex and they wanted to know what all the recent charges had been about and are requesting me to allow them to access my IRS transcripts from last year and also saying that they’ll go off of my income alone because my fiancé and I could break up meaning he wouldn’t be liable for any charges even though we have combined finances. Ughhhhh.

Sooooo, any advice on this guys? I think this is called an AR based on what I’ve seen on the forums.

They said it’ll take up to 2 weeks to complete and receive a determination. Meanwhile I’m in Seattle and wanted to use the Centurion lounge with my platinum on the way back in two days. Anyone know if this still works? I’m still a card holder. Just charging is temporarily suspended. The rest of it sucks but eh, I’m not stranded with no money or anything in Seattle so I’m good. More just bummed after my love letter to Amex. Lol.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

54 REPLIES 54
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Financial Review

I guess I’m more just irritated because if they didn’t think I’d be able to spend $12000 and pay it back, then why did they let me in the first place? Just cap my limit at $2000 and call it a day. Don’t let me spend $12000 and then suspend all my cards because I shouldn’t be spending $12000

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 2 of 55
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Hi @Creditdreamer, in order to help your question get addressed I've split it off into a new thread.

--UB

For reference, the previous thread can be found here:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/UPDATE-Need-to-share-my-enthusiasm-A-love-letter-to-Am...

Message 3 of 55
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Creditdreamer wrote:
I guess I’m more just irritated because if they didn’t think I’d be able to spend $12000 and pay it back, then why did they let me in the first place? Just cap my limit at $2000 and call it a day. Don’t let me spend $12000 and then suspend all my cards because I shouldn’t be spending $12000

While none of us can say for certain, the likely trigger was the large ($8k+) purchase at Target, especially if that was out-of-character for your usual spending and income/resources.

Others who are more well-versed on Amex financial reviews (FR) than I am will be along shortly to offer suggestions as well.

Message 4 of 55
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Would Amex be able to know that the purchase was all on gift cards?  I'm thinking they suspect MS on your card.

Message 5 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

Would Amex be able to know that the purchase was all on gift cards?  I'm thinking they suspect MS on your card.

Yes.  In all likelihood Target is providing Amex with Level III card data since card processors typically offer lower interchange fees in exchange for detailed transaction data.

Message 6 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

I doubt that is the reason.  OP got their card with a 2k limit and within 2 days spent over 10k on the card.  Seems pretty obvious what the issue is. 

Message 7 of 55
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

I doubt that is the reason.  OP got their card with a 2k limit and within 2 days spent over 10k on the card.  Seems pretty obvious what the issue is. 

serious situation but your comment made me laugh, I mean what are people pretending not to know.  with someone in the 600s that has trashed their credit before anything outside of swipe, cut and pay is a risk.  the idea of balance transfers, cash advances, rapid spend, gift cards, making payments anything outside of transactional use and ones results may vary.  good luck @, I am afraid you might need it

Message 8 of 55
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Creditdreamer wrote:

While none of us can say for certain, the likely trigger was the large ($8k+) purchase at Target, especially if that was out-of-character for your usual spending and income/resources.

Others who are more well-versed on Amex financial reviews (FR) than I am will be along shortly to offer suggestions as well.

+1.  OP, I agree with @UncleB. I’m venture to guess that the Target spend may be the trigger in this instance. Nonetheless I hope you can work through this and get your cards restore in some capacity if not fully reinstated. Good luck!

Message 9 of 55
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP a FR is merely AMEX catching up their records of your spend moves outside their expectation.

Provide the 4506-T, and pay the card off, and all will be well. Your love letter to AMEX will have a new chapter, and be good to go for the long term.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.