Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Alternative?

tag
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Alternative?

@CBartowski  Nfcu need a minimum of $50 in order to redeem though, Chase does not.

Message 11 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Is $40/month really so much in Uber credits?

It's a local ride from A to B and back.

Or a ride to/from a nearby airport.

Or takeout/delivery food for up to three people (or up to three meals for one person).

It seems about as easy to spend $40 as $10.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CBartowskiwrote:    @Aim_High you made some great points thank you! Glad to know I'm not alone in this ... Thanks for the thoughtful response!

You're welcome, @CBartowski, and glad it was helpful.  The additional information helps to paint a better picture of your travel and card usage, so thanks for that! 

In my case, I knew there was some conflict between the Gold (opened later) and my CSR, but I hadn't ever collected or played with MR points and wanted a taste of that.  While I think the Gold card is a great card, like any card the value of it may vary based on circumstances, spend, and redemption.  In my case, I just think the CSR fits me better. 

You sound like you're still on the fence about your commitment to MRs.  If you are, I would consider keeping the Gold card open just a little longer.  If food (groceries and/or dining out) is major spend and you're committed to MRs, the Gold card is the logical choice to maximize point accrual.  It's more a matter of figuring out how to make the monthly credits as smooth and easy as possible so-as to minimize the AF.  I really disliked how they took away the airline fee credit on the Gold after I applied and replaced it with the Uber/Uber eats credit which to me is less useful. 

If you call AMEX when the AF posts, you might get lucky with a retention offer on the Gold to buy a little more time.  Either way, good luck! 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 13 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Is $40/month really so much in Uber credits?

It's a local ride from A to B and back.

Or a ride to/from a nearby airport.

Or takeout/delivery food for up to three people (or up to three meals for one person).

It seems about as easy to spend $40 as $10.

I think it depends, @wasCB14.  For someone who regularly uses ride share services like UBER or who regularly uses food delivery/takeoff services anyway, it's probably easy to spend $40 a month.  For others (including myself) who never use ride share and whose use of food delivery/carry out is spotty, the credits are yet another cumbersome AMEX credit.  Even the $10 a month is "forced spending" for me to remember before I lose it.  I've lost credits on my Gold card every single month after I got it when they cancelled the (much more convenient) annual airline fee credit.  These monthly credits for GrubHub/UBER aren't doing it for me, further diminishing the value of MRs.  And that is my impression of the bulk of other credits on the charge cards, except for the TSA Global Entry for which I have duplicate reimbursement on other cards. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 20
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I have not used Uber or a similar service for a ride since 2019 and I have not used GrubHub or DoorDash since 2020. Any credits in those services is, at best, inconvenient, and Uber in particular, for boring and irrelevant reasons, I never ever use, so any Uber credit is completely wasted on me. This is contributing to probably downgrading my Platinum Card when the annual fee hits again.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 15 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

I have not used Uber or a similar service for a ride since 2019 and I have not used GrubHub or DoorDash since 2020. Any credits in those services is, at best, inconvenient, and Uber in particular, for boring and irrelevant reasons, I never ever use, so any Uber credit is completely wasted on me. This is contributing to probably downgrading my Platinum Card when the annual fee hits again.

Right, there is a lot of variation in the community and what appears to be a "no brainer" for one person (those credits are as good as cash) can be absolutely valueless to another, while a third might decide to try Uber and meal delivery etc and see if it makes sense.   

But Amex didn't do the coupon book approach to make it better for their customers, I'm sure they are grateful to have the breakage that naturally occurs with this type of structure.

Message 16 of 20
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

As I just picked up the Custom Cash tonight I found that it included merchant offers for $10 off Uber and Uber Eats. Credits that can be used multiple times.

All without having to pay for a $250 AF card.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 17 of 20
RepairedCredit

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KJinNC wrote:

Right, there is a lot of variation in the community and what appears to be a "no brainer" for one person (those credits are as good as cash) can be absolutely valueless to another, while a third might decide to try Uber and meal delivery etc and see if it makes sense.   

But Amex didn't do the coupon book approach to make it better for their customers, I'm sure they are grateful to have the breakage that naturally occurs with this type of structure.

Good point on the value of a card being subjective.  I got the Amex Gold recently, and for me, the Uber and GrubHub (I actually use Seamless which they own) credits might as well be cash,  it's entirely organic spend.  I never use delivery; both services allow for pickup

Message 18 of 20
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Im behind the suggestion of possibly closing the CSR since you already have the CS Platinum. Or consider the Green card ?

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@RepairedCredit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KJinNC wrote:

Good point on the value of a card being subjective.  I got the Amex Gold recently, and for me, the Uber and GrubHub (I actually use Seamless which they own) credits might as well be cash,  it's entirely organic spend.  I never use delivery; both services allow for pickup

One upshot of breakage can be retention offers for squeaky wheels. Just called and got a 30k/$3k/3 months offer on Schwab, despite that card getting only a few hundred dollars of non-coupon spend YTD.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.