Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo

I know there have been tons posts about the merits of these cards individually. I'm interested in hearing some feedback however on the strengths and weaknesses of these cards paired together. There's obviously a big hole where non-category spend is concerned and I'm aware that those who can fill this gap with the Amex BBP. How about just these two (gold and plat) together though? Assuming that all the credits can be used, and taking the perks and shortcomings of each card as well as redemption options for MR points into consideration, is it a formidable pairing? It it worth spending $800 in annual fees?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo

Your net cost isn’t $800 though.  It’s $30 for gold and $95 for plat if you can use the Uber credit monthly, which I find the hardest to do every month.

With that being said it’s a combo I use and gold gets all my spend right now, Plat get all my airfare and FHR spend.  I closed my EDP.  I get a ton of MR points w/ biz spend and with Amex Offers so I don’t concern myself with the non-category spend anymore.

The Amex gold change has put my CSR in the SD.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gold AF is easier to be effectively lowered.

I fly 8+k USD per year, I can't justify Platinum card, mainly because uber credit is useless to me, when I need uber, its never less than 30USD, and most of the time, I don't use uber. I am not gonna spend extra just so I can claim its a credit to AF.

Message 3 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gold AF is easier to be effectively lowered.

I fly 8+k USD per year, I can't justify Platinum card, mainly because uber credit is useless to me, when I need uber, its never less than 30USD, and most of the time, I don't use uber. I am not gonna spend extra just so I can claim its a credit to AF.

A few FHR stays and you can more than make that up.  I don't know your airline but mine isn't Delta but I do fly with them a few times a year so getting access to Skyclubs are nice.  Centurion lounge opening in CLT is a homerun.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess its a YMMV situation, if OP can naturally take advantage of the credit, that would justify platinum.

Myself, I can't. I almost always go through ATL with a layovertime mostly around 1 hour. Only went through CLT once, and never went through FHR, lol, just gonna stick to no AF prople+wells visa for now at least.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both Plat and Gold for about two months, and I was able to use up all the perks including the Uber credits through Uber eats and also utilized plat’s Saks 5th credit for $50 for the 2nd half of the year. I utilized all the airline and travel credits (incidentals paid for traveling with a pet) and used both cards. I’m pretty much break even on both cards, and racked up a good SUB.

The only thing I hate about the combo is that I can’t really use it for my international spends as they don’t really get the multipliers.
Message 6 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

The question to ask is: what's worth $800 to you? Does your spending fit what the cards are suited to? Do you generate at least $800 worth of value out of the cards each year? If yes, the Gold and Platinum are working for you. However, if you're looking for ideas to squeeze a little more value out of them because you're not seeing it today, take that as a sign. Hearing how well the Gold + Platinum works for someone who doesn't fly the same airlines, spends the same on dining, or values the benefits as you would is an apples to oranges comparison.

When selecting a card program, I would hope people select a program that fits their travel patterns, not the other way around. If someone has to book stays at a hotel they might not otherwise choose or use services they might otherwise use not in order to take advantage of a benefit or credit, that's a sign that particular benefit isn't right for them. What may be a home run to one person can be meaningless to another. I have no problem using Uber credits up, but I get that others may find them useless. Same as how I find HHonors points useless but I get that to some they're quite valuable.

I worry that some people are trying to min-max their credit card portfolio without a second thought as to the travel programs behind that portfolio. So what if you maximized your point gains if you can only use them on airlines you don't fly or hotels you don't like to stay at? Is the extra point earning worth always taking a connection or having odd routings? Do you want to plan your vacations around where your points will take you or earn your points around where you want to go for vacations?

That said, it's a formidable pairing for someone whose spend fits the programs and who is happy with the redemption options. Is it a formidable pairing for you? Only you can answer that one.

I'd also second Chris' comment about international usage. Not crediting international dining can be a huge deal for some travelers, and should be considered when choosing a program.

Message 7 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@iced wrote:

I worry that some people are trying to min-max their credit card portfolio without a second thought as to the travel programs behind that portfolio. So what if you maximized your point gains if you can only use them on airlines you don't fly or hotels you don't like to stay at? Is the extra point earning worth always taking a connection or having odd routings? Do you want to plan your vacations around where your points will take you or earn your points around where you want to go for vacations?

+1   And it's more general than just travel cards.   When people here and in similar forums rave about card X, it doesn't mean it's a great card for you.   So while it is certainly true for MR cards (lots of people got ED or Green/Gold and then found out MRs had very little value for them), it's also true for cashback, people getting say BCE/BCP before discovering that the places they buy groceries don't code that way for Amex.   Basically, you have to your own calculations based on what you do (and want to do).   As a last example, one of my better cards at the moment is Square Cash debit, as it gives 10% off my high WholeFoods spend.   If you don't go there, or to coffee shops or to a handful of fast food places, it's just a no rewards debit card....

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have the Gold but unless you fly a lot yearly the gold should suffice.

The Gold has more bonus categories (4x dining/groceries and 3x flights. I think the earning potential is far greater on the Gold unless one flies extremely often. That’s just my 2 cents. The better pairing would be Gold+BBP or Gold+EDP as far as MR earning goes.
Message 9 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Why I don't have both:

1. I had PRG from 2014-2016 so I don't think I'm eligible for the bonus.

2. I have high Costco spend (CFU) and fairly low traditional grocery spend.

3. PRG and Platinum do not include certain travel insurance protections that CSR does. Even ignoring them, Platinum's 5x on airfare beats PRG's 3x.

Thus, Chase UR cards complement my MRs nicely.

4. I would only use the $10 dining credit occasionally.

5. I'd take 4x MRs over 3x URs on dining, but the difference isn't very much, and occasionally a restaurant won't take Amex.

Platinum is more about perks...how many free lounge visits you'd be making, how many times you might stay at a Marriott or Hilton, how often you'd use the concierge, etc.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.