cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@FortifiedHM wrote:

I don't "THINK" the platinum is not worth it, I MATHed it. I fly delta almost exclusively. I fly 30 trips per year, every trip has 2 legs each way connecting through ATL. There is no way in hell I can get 2ccp, its 1.2-1.3cpp every time (and don't ask virgin atlantic or aeromexico, they can't book the flight I need on delta). Subtract 350 AF, I get a return of 2.1% cashback. Thats a far cry from 4.5% I get from wells fargo propel+ visa siggy.

With all those connections through ATL, you don't want the Platinum card's Sky Club access? Or are you Delta Diamond and select it as a Choice Benefit?

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 21 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@wasCB14 wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:

I don't "THINK" the platinum is not worth it, I MATHed it. I fly delta almost exclusively. I fly 30 trips per year, every trip has 2 legs each way connecting through ATL. There is no way in hell I can get 2ccp, its 1.2-1.3cpp every time (and don't ask virgin atlantic or aeromexico, they can't book the flight I need on delta). Subtract 350 AF, I get a return of 2.1% cashback. Thats a far cry from 4.5% I get from wells fargo propel+ visa siggy.

With all those connections through ATL, you don't want the Platinum card's Sky Club access? Or are you Delta Diamond and select it as a Choice Benefit?


Well, not for that AF ( I am a cheap guy, lol). At least not now. I am only gold, not diamond with delta. I am going to pc my CSP to CSR in the summer. I will give PP a try when I have longer layovers in 2H19.

Ⳏroſilē oſ ᥠ chԑap, ſrēqⴑēnt ſlyԑr ✈⛽☕ ⳎroⳎel ✈☕ ⸿sƦ ✈☕☙ ❡olδ ☙ Ⲙileⴑp ⚕ ββⳎ ⌚ ααƤƧ
⛪ ८ſu ┊ ↇᏨ ☙ ēD ┊ qš ┊ ८ſ ┊ iէ ┊▲G ⛎ ᐰmzn √ᐰ ┊ wſ -√ ⛪ Ɲĕхт: ✿❀❁
Message 22 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@FortifiedHM wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:

I don't "THINK" the platinum is not worth it, I MATHed it. I fly delta almost exclusively. I fly 30 trips per year, every trip has 2 legs each way connecting through ATL. There is no way in hell I can get 2ccp, its 1.2-1.3cpp every time (and don't ask virgin atlantic or aeromexico, they can't book the flight I need on delta). Subtract 350 AF, I get a return of 2.1% cashback. Thats a far cry from 4.5% I get from wells fargo propel+ visa siggy.

With all those connections through ATL, you don't want the Platinum card's Sky Club access? Or are you Delta Diamond and select it as a Choice Benefit?


Well, not for that AF ( I am a cheap guy, lol). At least not now. I am only gold, not diamond with delta. I am going to pc my CSP to CSR in the summer. I will give PP a try when I have longer layovers in 2H19.


Well if you are cheap here’s a way to do it.  If you have three close friends or family members that fly a lot on delta or fly out of a centurion lounge airports, stay at Hiltons or Marriotts (gold status) put them on as an AU and divide your net AF of $350 plus $175 for AU cards then divide by 4 and everyone’s cost is $131.25 for some great lounge access and hotel status.

 

I have AUs on my citi Exec and we share the AF cost because they fly AA and want lounge access for a low cost.

 

 

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 23 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@redpat wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:

I don't "THINK" the platinum is not worth it, I MATHed it. I fly delta almost exclusively. I fly 30 trips per year, every trip has 2 legs each way connecting through ATL. There is no way in hell I can get 2ccp, its 1.2-1.3cpp every time (and don't ask virgin atlantic or aeromexico, they can't book the flight I need on delta). Subtract 350 AF, I get a return of 2.1% cashback. Thats a far cry from 4.5% I get from wells fargo propel+ visa siggy.

With all those connections through ATL, you don't want the Platinum card's Sky Club access? Or are you Delta Diamond and select it as a Choice Benefit?


Well, not for that AF ( I am a cheap guy, lol). At least not now. I am only gold, not diamond with delta. I am going to pc my CSP to CSR in the summer. I will give PP a try when I have longer layovers in 2H19.


Well if you are cheap here’s a way to do it.  If you have three close friends or family members that fly a lot on delta or fly out of a centurion lounge airports, stay at Hiltons or Marriotts (gold status) put them on as an AU and divide your net AF of $350 plus $175 for AU cards then divide by 4 and everyone’s cost is $131.25 for some great lounge access and hotel status.

 

I have AUs on my citi Exec and we share the AF cost because they fly AA and want lounge access for a low cost.

 

 


lol, I don't have any close family member or friend who fly that much, most of them fly maybe once a year. But thanks for the idea.

Ⳏroſilē oſ ᥠ chԑap, ſrēqⴑēnt ſlyԑr ✈⛽☕ ⳎroⳎel ✈☕ ⸿sƦ ✈☕☙ ❡olδ ☙ Ⲙileⴑp ⚕ ββⳎ ⌚ ααƤƧ
⛪ ८ſu ┊ ↇᏨ ☙ ēD ┊ qš ┊ ८ſ ┊ iէ ┊▲G ⛎ ᐰmzn √ᐰ ┊ wſ -√ ⛪ Ɲĕхт: ✿❀❁
Message 24 of 28
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo

I've ubered out on the Plat and used it a number of times with Hilton even though I have the SPG card for our Marriott stays. I use the Gold mostly for dining. But like other posters have said on here if the benefits of the two cards combined or not fit your current lifestyle then if the shoe fits why not wear it? In other words "what will and how it would benefit you” question would apply to all CC's I'll leave it at that Smiley Happy








"Give me liberty, or give me credit!" -PlasticDad


Message 25 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@FortifiedHM wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:

I don't "THINK" the platinum is not worth it, I MATHed it. I fly delta almost exclusively. I fly 30 trips per year, every trip has 2 legs each way connecting through ATL. There is no way in hell I can get 2ccp, its 1.2-1.3cpp every time (and don't ask virgin atlantic or aeromexico, they can't book the flight I need on delta). Subtract 350 AF, I get a return of 2.1% cashback. Thats a far cry from 4.5% I get from wells fargo propel+ visa siggy.

With all those connections through ATL, you don't want the Platinum card's Sky Club access? Or are you Delta Diamond and select it as a Choice Benefit?


Well, not for that AF ( I am a cheap guy, lol). At least not now. I am only gold, not diamond with delta. I am going to pc my CSP to CSR in the summer. I will give PP a try when I have longer layovers in 2H19.


Well if you are cheap here’s a way to do it.  If you have three close friends or family members that fly a lot on delta or fly out of a centurion lounge airports, stay at Hiltons or Marriotts (gold status) put them on as an AU and divide your net AF of $350 plus $175 for AU cards then divide by 4 and everyone’s cost is $131.25 for some great lounge access and hotel status.

 

I have AUs on my citi Exec and we share the AF cost because they fly AA and want lounge access for a low cost.

 

 


lol, I don't have any close family member or friend who fly that much, most of them fly maybe once a year. But thanks for the idea.


Sorry to hear.  It sucks being that cheap because your company’s 8k gives you 64k free delta miles and plat would give you another 40k   Let’s say you can use a SkyClub 40 times round trip and figure $15 easy, a beer or two with some food is $600.  Then add what your company’s pays on hotel stays and use Marriott or Hilton and right out of the gate you are earning 12 points or 18 points per dollar on stays.

 

So for $350 up front you can travel more comfortably and earn more points for yourself on your company’s spend. 

 

Are you sure you did all the math, lol?

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 26 of 28
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@AlexCredible wrote:
I know there have been tons posts about the merits of these cards individually. I'm interested in hearing some feedback however on the strengths and weaknesses of these cards paired together. There's obviously a big hole where non-category spend is concerned and I'm aware that those who can fill this gap with the Amex BBP. How about just these two (gold and plat) together though? Assuming that all the credits can be used, and taking the perks and shortcomings of each card as well as redemption options for MR points into consideration, is it a formidable pairing? It it worth spending $800 in annual fees?

They are two different cards that do different things. I don't think they need to be paired together. I have both. I use the gold for a lot of my spend and I use the plat for the benefits. Cancelling one card wouldn't make the other card any less valuable. There is no need to have both unless you value each individually, but putting them together does little in terms of synergy. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 27 of 28
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold + Amex Plat Combo


@redpat wrote:


Sorry to hear.  It sucks being that cheap because your company’s 8k gives you 64k free delta miles and plat would give you another 40k   Let’s say you can use a SkyClub 40 times round trip and figure $15 easy, a beer or two with some food is $600.  Then add what your company’s pays on hotel stays and use Marriott or Hilton and right out of the gate you are earning 12 points or 18 points per dollar on stays.

 

So for $350 up front you can travel more comfortably and earn more points for yourself on your company’s spend. 

 

Are you sure you did all the math, lol?


I don't think I ever said my company is paying, this is all out of my own pocket. lol, I am frequently travel due to duty to work, but its because of family. So there is no hotel stay.

 

I do see your point that the food is free. I will have to double check on that and see if that makes sense. I usually have a wellness routine and don't eat just anything, and I never drink. I do spend about $5 per layover at maybe half of my trips when layover is longer (I fly many early morning flight with very tight connections at times (50min or less)). So that comes out to about $150-ish.

 

I will check delta club menu. I figure my CSP-CSR will also get me some experience with lounges. You never know, lol

 
 
 
Ⳏroſilē oſ ᥠ chԑap, ſrēqⴑēnt ſlyԑr ✈⛽☕ ⳎroⳎel ✈☕ ⸿sƦ ✈☕☙ ❡olδ ☙ Ⲙileⴑp ⚕ ββⳎ ⌚ ααƤƧ
⛪ ८ſu ┊ ↇᏨ ☙ ēD ┊ qš ┊ ८ſ ┊ iէ ┊▲G ⛎ ᐰmzn √ᐰ ┊ wſ -√ ⛪ Ɲĕхт: ✿❀❁
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.