Super Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Annual Fee Increase

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:
In addition to the PRG changes already being talked about...

Amex will be increasing the annual fee on the standard Gold card from $125 to $160 effective June 1st.

However there is no mention of any reward or perk changes...

That really makes downgrading to the Green even more attractive IMO.

The same benefits that are now going to be offered for the PRG will also apply to the regular Gold card, including the $100 airline benefit and 2x dining

If this is true, it may make the gold card a worthwhile choice now. 

My wife's gold card (very old) has an $85 AF.   Probably too much to hope for a $100 credit on that

Be interesting to see what happens with her card.  I bet she gets the credit

Interesting! I had no idea they were upgrading the regular Gold card like that. To me that card was almost the same thing as the Green but with a bigger AF. What will make the PRG stand out from it now?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

Amex will be increasing the annual fee on the standard Gold card from $125 to $160 effective June 1st.

The same benefits that are now going to be offered for the PRG will also apply to the regular Gold card, including the $100 airline benefit and 2x dining

My wife's gold card (very old) has an $85 AF.   Probably too much to hope for a $100 credit on that

Hmm..Is it a senior gold?

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

Interesting! I had no idea they were upgrading the regular Gold card like that. To me that card was almost the same thing as the Green but with a bigger AF. What will make the PRG stand out from it now? - I assume just the initial bonus points.  

Message 13 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

Interesting! I had no idea they were upgrading the regular Gold card like that. To me that card was almost the same thing as the Green but with a bigger AF. What will make the PRG stand out from it now? - I assume just the initial bonus points.  

Wont the PRG still have 3x Airfare and 2x Supermarket that the regular gold won't?

Message 14 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

Hmm..Is it a senior gold?

It's listed as Traditional Gold.  She got it in 1985, and I believe it earns MR points, but isn't used!  (So might be worth cancelling unless we get the credit)

Message 15 of 23
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

Wont the PRG still have 3x Airfare and 2x Supermarket that the regular gold won't?

There would have to be SOMETHING that differentiates the two cards. The initial bonus points aren't enough to justify the AF on the PRG after the first year. Everyone would just PC to the Gold after a year. 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or senior green
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccb2115 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

There would have to be SOMETHING that differentiates the two cards. The initial bonus points aren't enough to justify the AF on the PRG after the first year. Everyone would just PC to the Gold after a year. 

Yes, you're right.  Wasn't thinking clearly enough without coffee in me

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

For newbie cardholders of the PRG, do these new benefits automatically get added to our current cards? I have been a member since January. So beginning June 1st, am I going to be eligible for the 2x at restaurants and the $100 airline credit?
Message 19 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@nixon. hooked on that senior card. well. the green is truly plain jane. but since it is charge card. the only use i find is that it keeps me disiciplined in my spending. in other words a card where you can feel the pain. since it must be paid in full. im pretty sure nixon. i will go to senior green as well instead of wasting money on these low mr points i get on the green . i will not cancel it unless i can convert it or pc it to another revolver with amex. like the everyday. or just app outright for the every day in a couple of years.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.