Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold and CSP strategy

tag
WarthogWrangler
Contributor

Amex Gold and CSP strategy

Recently jumped on the CSP 100K sub but wondering what to do after I spend my 4k in 3 months.   I really love my Gold card and it earns 4x points on food and grocery which is my biggest spend category.  The CSP earns the same 1x on everything else.  It seems the CSP has an easier redemption process but they both transfer to Delta which is my most used airline for domestic travel.   So for those of you that have both what is your strategy?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Gold and CSP strategy

As @kilroy8 pointed out in another thread on a similiar topic unless you're investing in the trifecta/quadfecta in Chase's UR points system the CSP alone won't get you far since there is a lot cards that beat it some even without an AF. This is especially true since you already have a transfer partner in mind to send your MR points with Delta. Though I am surprised you mentioned that UR points transfer to Delta as well. Do you mean one of their travel partners? I know Virgin Atlantic is one of them. Maybe they are now I admittedly haven't play the redemption game in awhile

With that said I still think it's worth churning 'n burning for the first year with the CSP just because the signup bonus is so good. I would just cancel or product change the card to the CFF after the first year when the AF comes due again

Message 2 of 4
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

As @kilroy8 pointed out in another thread on a similiar topic unless you're investing in the trifecta/quadfecta in Chase's UR points system the CSP alone won't get you far since there is a lot cards that beat it some even without an AF. This is especially true since you already have a transfer partner in mind to send your MR points with Delta. Though I am surprised you mentioned that UR points transfer to Delta as well. Do you mean one of their travel partners? I know Virgin Atlantic is one of them. Maybe they are now I admittedly haven't play the redemption game in awhile

With that said I still think it's worth churning 'n burning for the first year with the CSP just because the signup bonus is so good. I would just cancel or product change the card to the CFF after the first year when the AF comes due again

I agree with this. To me, the CSP is pretty lackluster in earning potential on its own, so you have to pair it with the "trifecta" to make it worth keeping. It has other perks, like primary rental insurance, which is awesome and makes it worth its AF in just 4 rental days. But it is hard to get good value out of it (based solely on earning potential) without a lot of dining/travel spend, and it sounds like your dining goes elsewhere.

Obviously people have different spends, but for me, it is basically a SD card acting as a central UR hub. If the rumored CSP/CSR revamp is true, though, it will look a little bit nicer as a daily workhorse.

Message 3 of 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I actually keep my wife's CSP for the referral links you can send out. One referral pays for the card for the year. Curious as to why the CSR doesn't have a referral system

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.