Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold approval odds

tag
Rex95
New Contributor

Amex Gold approval odds

I'm new to myFICO, so hopefully this is posted in the correct place. I'm considering applying for an Amex Gold, but wanted to get some input beforehand. I'm a  graduate student and I make $40k per year. I've had a Chase Freedom Unlimited for 5 years, a Barclays Apple Rewards card for 5 years, a Paypal Credit line for 3 years, an Amazon Store card which was closed by the creditor in 2016, and I'm an AU on someone's Chase Sapphire Preferred. Utilization is no more than 15% on any card. My only concern is that I have 5 late payments (all paid) that occurred after a lay-off at the end of 2015. 4 of them are 30 days (amazon store card) and one is 60 days (Barclays). They are all old since they occurred about 5 years ago. Zero negatives on my report since then. Experian is currently 739. What should my course of action be?

Scores - EX: 808, TU: 803, EQ: 806
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $15,000
United Quest - $15,000
United Gateway - $7,600
Amex Gold - $18,300 POT
Amex BCE - $20,200
Amex/Schwab Investor Card - $11,500
PayPal Credit - $2,500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Gold approval odds

Check for a pre-approval on the Amex site, it's usually pretty accurate.  But based on the info you provided, it shouldn't be a problem getting approved.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 6
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Rex95 wrote:

I'm new to myFICO, so hopefully this is posted in the correct place. I'm considering applying for an Amex Gold, but wanted to get some input beforehand. I'm a  graduate student and I make $40k per year. I've had a Chase Freedom Unlimited for 5 years, a Barclays Apple Rewards card for 5 years, a Paypal Credit line for 3 years, an Amazon Store card which was closed by the creditor in 2016, and I'm an AU on someone's Chase Sapphire Preferred. Utilization is no more than 15% on any card. My only concern is that I have 5 late payments (all paid) that occurred after a lay-off at the end of 2015. 4 of them are 30 days (amazon store card) and one is 60 days (Barclays). They are all old since they occurred about 5 years ago. Zero negatives on my report since then. Experian is currently 739. What should my course of action be?

I say you have a pretty strong chance of getting the Gold Card, but like another user stated you should give the prequal tool a shot. 

Message 3 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the forums!  You should have very good odds of approval for the Amex Gold Card even if it doesn't show as preapproved.  The only caveat I would add here is that your "limit" on the No Preset Spending Limit may be held back until those late payments disappear in a couple more years, and they may impact any revolving limits if you later get non-charge Amex cards with late payments still present on your reports.

Just be sure to get the highest Welcome Offer you can for the card, as Amex SUBs are generally once in a lifetime per card product.

Message 4 of 6
Rex95
New Contributor

Thanks for the input, everyone! This helps. I should've mentioned in my post that I did pre-qualify for the gold with 75k mile bonus, the green with the 60k bonus and the Blue Cash Prefetred with the $300 credit.

Scores - EX: 808, TU: 803, EQ: 806
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $15,000
United Quest - $15,000
United Gateway - $7,600
Amex Gold - $18,300 POT
Amex BCE - $20,200
Amex/Schwab Investor Card - $11,500
PayPal Credit - $2,500
Message 5 of 6
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Rex95 wrote:

Thanks for the input, everyone! This helps. I should've mentioned in my post that I did pre-qualify for the gold with 75k mile bonus, the green with the 60k bonus and the Blue Cash Prefetred with the $300 credit.

Then you should give it a go on one of those cards. While there is a chance you might qualify for any other cards from amex those are the offers that amex prequalify you for and give you a stronger chance of approval. Best of luck!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.