Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold card requirements?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Amex Gold card requirements?

What are the basic requirements of the AMEX gold card?  I applied Dec of last year for the AMEX delta and was shut down, but credit has gotten better and still rising and I get some old collections off and my lates age.

Stats of me.

All Fico scores around 660's although the unknown Experian, but guessing around there as well.  Fakos for EX around in the CreditSeasme & Credit One 680 range, but don't trust them

10% utilization

Have other Revolvers such as Cap 1 with 3500k credit lines etc

AU used of a Chase 25k card (doubt that makes a diff)

Have a pretty thick credit file car loans, student loans, homes in the past etc.

100K+ salar

AAOA 4 years.  Credit history 20+ years

Now to the bad

A few things still in collections < 5k working on getting them off due to various reasons and think they will get off.

some lates 2+ years ago on student loans

I just want to get my foot in the door and don't need a revolver as I typically pay all my CC's off each month but leave 10% on one just to show a bit of activetly.

I don't need a revolver, just the PIF gold or platnium.

Thoughts from people or should I finish getting the bads off and then app or have a shot now for a non revolver since requirements a bit easier?  Hope to have score in the 700's in a few months

Thanks all

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Gold card requirements?

Anyone?  I would guess wait for the baddies to finish falling off as mentioned in original post if it is only a few months but getting an itch to app since it has been 6 months

Message 2 of 8
Longroad
Established Contributor

I would like to know as well

Message 3 of 8
MyWorthiness
Established Member

I would defintely wait until the bad falls off so that there is nothing to hold against you. I just got approved for the Amex Green about 2 months ago and it was my first time ever applying for an American Express card.....I'm gonna work my way to Gold and then to Platinum. Best wishes to you!!

Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Work on your CR's before applying with Amex and also never ever trust FAKO scores pull Fico scores before apps

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I dunno...I managed to get a PRG with:

• FICO score of 662 (according to AMEX's BCE denial letter)
  • Several good TL's, oldest being a student loan I opened in 2001, newest being a Barclaycard I opened in 2014, several new cards (mostly store cards) opened during 2013, oldest revolving TL is from the start of my rebuild in 2012, good payment history over two years.
  • 3 Public records, both paid and unpaid, from 2008
  • Overall UTIL around 20%
  • 1 Chargeoff from 2008 and it's tied collection from 2008
  • Income around $45K

Granted, I was shocked they even approved me...the same way I was shocked when Bank of America approved me a few months back. I tried for a BCE right after and got denied, and that's where I got the EX FICO from.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Meh I will just wait a few months and hopefully have the last few bad things be taken off and let my inquiries for the two years fall to 4 and try then.  I will probably just go for a revolver since I will be in the 700's by then along with a  thick file and income to back it.  I just wanted to get in with them, but have been an AU on parents AMEX that is over twenty yeras old account assume I will be back dated to that or not?  

Message 7 of 8
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I would wait because 5k in collections is a lot. If you pulled the trigger I would go with the green because it's easier than the gold
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.