Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold restaurant didn't earn 4x MR or 20% statement credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold restaurant didn't earn 4x MR or 20% statement credit

Basically what the title says. The weird part is that the MCC did say the transaction coded as a restaurant, and after chatting with a CSR a couple times, turns out that the restaurant might not have "registered themselves with Amex as a US restaurant". The guy said he has raised the issue and they'll get back to me in 3-5 business days. Let's see what happens.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold restaurant didn't earn 4x MR or 20% statement credit

Appreciate the share on this one, I haven't noticed any missed MR's on mine but will keep an eye out just in case.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 5
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

This is a common occurrence with Amex. Even thing it may say restaurants on your online account. Sometimes the restaurant isn’t the correct MCC.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP I just had an issue of sorts recently...while not on my Amex Gold it was on my SPG Luxury.  Stayed at a new Marriott hotel...place had only been open for 17 days when I stayed.  Nonetheless charged my stay to the SPG Luxury and even Amex's system showed it as Lodging, and even showed my check-in and out date yet the purchase only triggered the 2x bonus instead of the 6x.  

Contact Amex and they told me to call back after the statement cuts just to make sure the issue didn't correct itself.  It didn't and when they realized it they said that it's probably because the hotel was new and/or the MCC code isn't proper.  Nonetheless they requested a copy of the hotel bill which I sent after calling Marriott to obtain.  Sent it over to Amex and they corrected the situation by pushing the 4x remaining points and when I explained to Marriott the reason for requesting the bill they even tossed 5k points my way for my trouble.

So yes, it does happen...not often but you have to be on top of these things to make sure that you keep everyone in line.  You're aleady in contact with Amex so thats the start but I'm confident they'll take care of you as they did myself.  BTW, this was all last month so my situation is very recent.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

OP I just had an issue of sorts recently...while not on my Amex Gold it was on my SPG Luxury.  Stayed at a new Marriott hotel...place had only been open for 17 days when I stayed.  Nonetheless charged my stay to the SPG Luxury and even Amex's system showed it as Lodging, and even showed my check-in and out date yet the purchase only triggered the 2x bonus instead of the 6x.  

Contact Amex and they told me to call back after the statement cuts just to make sure the issue didn't correct itself.  It didn't and when they realized it they said that it's probably because the hotel was new and/or the MCC code isn't proper.  Nonetheless they requested a copy of the hotel bill which I sent after calling Marriott to obtain.  Sent it over to Amex and they corrected the situation by pushing the 4x remaining points and when I explained to Marriott the reason for requesting the bill they even tossed 5k points my way for my trouble.

So yes, it does happen...not often but you have to be on top of these things to make sure that you keep everyone in line.  You're aleady in contact with Amex so thats the start but I'm confident they'll take care of you as they did myself.  BTW, this was all last month so my situation is very recent.

Thanks for this anecdote! This has literally been how it has been going for me until now, hopefully it ends up the same way.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.