Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold spending power

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Amex Gold spending power

I got an Amex Gold a few weeks ago. I checked spending power as soon as I had access to do so, and saw that I'd be approved for a $2,500 purchase, declined for a $2,550 purchase.

I have been heavily using the card, trying to get the SUB out of the way early. I've run about $1,700 through it in 3 weeks, pushing multiple payments from my checking account so balance is usually pretty low.

Last week, it looked like I'd be approved for between $3,500 and $4,000 (hard to be precise since you're limited to checking three times per day).

Today, the tool said I would be approved for a $5,000 purchase while I already had a small balance.

Is it normal for spending power to go up this rapidly early on? I should point out, I have an unusual profile (was shocked I was approved for the card), so that might be part of what is going on.

Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold spending power

They base it on the last rolling 6 months of use. And you should stop playing with that tool unless you want amex eyeballing you.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful checking the spending power, it could trigger a FR from what I have read on other posts. I opened the gold card 2 months ago and had to call after a declined charge when I was at around $4200 during the month. The CSR was very friendly and explained the whole process of how charge cards work. Rather than checking the spending power, I would recommend just calling and speaking with someone and they can tell you what your internal limit is and explain exactly how the card spending power works.

While they do say it’s based on a 6 month average, I was told last week that my internal limit had already increased due to some large spending And multiple payments in July that I had. My internal limit went from $4200 - $5800. Just keep in min that the limit adjusts with usage, so it can go the other way as well and can be reduced if you have a month or two where usage is down.
Message 3 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I don't think I will ever have another Amex charge card due to the changing limit nonsense.

Maybe it is a 6 month average for new clients, but it def is not for long term clients.

I know someone with a 10 year old Plat Amex that could charge $50k-$100k in 5 mins and averages less than $1k per month.

They put everything ($100k-$200k per year) on Delta Plat Amex, so maybe they talk to each other.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I don't think I will ever have another Amex charge card due to the changing limit nonsense.

Maybe it is a 6 month average for new clients, but it def is not for long term clients.

I know someone with a 10 year old Plat Amex that could charge $50k-$100k in 5 mins and averages less than $1k per month.

They put everything ($100k-$200k per year) on Delta Plat Amex, so maybe they talk to each other.

It wasn't always like this. When I got my gold back in 99, I charged 10k the first month and only received 1 call asking if I wanted to pay down the balance. They still let the charge go through.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the card honestly - the flexibility of running heavy spend without impact to aggregate UTI is nice. I’ve used it pretty heavily since I got it in May and have had no declined purchases. Hit the SUB in a little under six weeks and have kept right on going. My plan on it is to make sure I can maintain pretty heavy use and I’ll shift most of my spend to it while I pay off my other cards. Building the MRs is a priority too, as DW and I are looking to take a trip next year essentially for free regarding travel costs (and I’m over 130k Hilton points so lodging is already covered). Building MRs to cover airfare while paying everything else down and off for a consistent decrease in aggregate usage is a win all the way around. I’m honestly thinking of putting my youngest daughter’s school tuition on the card too. It’s billed monthly so that would add MRs and then I’ll just pay it at month’s end. For the things in my life right now, it’s a great fit.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the Gold, even with the limits they impose. It works well for my spending with MR points as most of what I use it for is eating, groceries and flights. I know now what my internal limit is and will just pick up the phone and call them if I ever have a questionable purchase that I’m worried might not go through. I have been able to generate some serious MR points in the first 60 days with this card.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont know how it works but when I first got the Gold I also got two Amex credit cards both with a 1k limit. I checked the spending tool with the Gold and it said I would be approved for 20k charge. Who knows the logic. My last two Amex credit cards came with 30k limits so who knows what my charge card limit is now.
Message 8 of 9
Berk
Established Contributor

I've had an Amex charge since 2007. I have yet to try the "check spending power" button. I also have yet to be denied for any charges I've put on the card. My monthly charges average between 3K - 10K. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.