cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold...which Amex revolving card, and when to apply?

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Amex Gold...which Amex revolving card, and when to apply?

We've had an AMEX Gold for about 11 months with a perfect on-time payment history, and would like to add one of Amex's revolving cards to our pocketbook. Do you think we'll get approved with FICO's in the mid 700s, and any opinion on which revolving card to get ?

My wife and I wanted to get a revolving Amex card for a while, but I knew my wife's FICO's were too low due to high utilization. A couple of weeks ago we were able to pay off all of our revolving cards in full, and her FICO soared from ~650(via creditkarma) to ~760 on all major credit bureaus. (Just pulled all three this AM).

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold...which Amex revolving card, and when to apply?

Hello,

In order to better assist you I have a few questions.

1. Do you mind an annual fee?

2. What kind of rewards are you looking for? Something like SkyMiles? Starpoints? Membership Rewards? Cashback?

3. How long do you anticipate to keep the new card? For example some have a great sign on bonus the first year but the annual fee might not justify a low amount of use.

I personally have the Gold Delta card and am thinking about switching to the Delta Plat for the free compannion ticket as I travel with Delta a good bit. Another on my list is the Starwood card as many sites say it has the most value per point of most cards (2-3 cents).

Message 2 of 21
n777ua
Established Contributor

Thanks for the response.

We really don't mind the annual fee, and generally cash rewards are best.  We fly often, but generally UA/CO.  In fact, haven't flown DL in 15 years.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would reccomend the Blue cash or Blue cash prefered depending on just how much you put through it every year. The standard Blue cash everyday comes with no annual fee as well.

You said you pulled 3 scores and 1 was from creditkarma? Keep in mind creditkarma is not a true FICO score, but a fako. My creditkarma score is about 60 points off than my real FICO.

Message 4 of 21
n777ua
Established Contributor

Sorry, to clarify the 3 scores I pulled were from all three bureaus.  I compared it to a creditKarma in the 650s.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian has only been able to be pulled by members of PSECU or a financial institution. Theres currently no service that monitors all 3 as ficos. If you want you could do a google search for a discount code and pull a fico from this site. Or if you would rather not you can see if Amex has any preapprovals for you on their site.

Best of luck!

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you're ok to go ahead for one of the Blue Cash cards.  You decide which one.  I got approved for it after having my Green for 5 or 6 months with an EX score probably somewhere in the high 600's. 

Message 7 of 21
n777ua
Established Contributor

Applied for Blue Cash Everyday and was told I would receive a decision in approx 14 days.  Checked app status about 2 min later and showed "declined" - - sent Amex an email asking for a recon (which I've never done before) .  .  .  we'll see what happens.

edit: actually called amex and spoke with a very nice gentleman who told me to fax the denial letter along with the credit report I pulled today, and once he gets it that will start the manual recon process.

Thanks everyone for your help with my questions...i love these forums.....cheers.

Message 8 of 21
n777ua
Established Contributor

Recon APPROVED, CL $3500 Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 21
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Congrats, what did the CSR asked you during recon?
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.