Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold - winning?

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Amex Gold - winning?

I thought my experience might be useful for someone. I opened a Green card in 1994 then burned them for 6k a few years later.  They didnt let me back in until 2014 (Gold NPSL and Blue 5k cards)

In 2017, They snatched my NPSL after a few late payments (under 30 days of course) and I was sitting at a 2k limit until yesterday I got a message saying my NPSL was back. 👍🏼

Two thoughts 

1. Burn them and they forgive after 20 years

2. Miss payments they forgive after 5 years

I know all credit profiles are different, but maybe there is something to it. Just as my NPSL was reinstated I am wondering if the $250 annual fee is worth it for me. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold - winning?

Congrats. I don't think we have any datapoints for spending limits and it'll be interesting to see responses. I have one, but no late payments.

Message 2 of 12
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I had a 2k hard limit put on my account in January 2021 after an NSF payment issue.  After 10 months it was upped to a 5k hard limit.  I think the 5k hard limit is actually higher than any soft limit I had when it was NPSL.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 12
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the reinstatement!

Newbie to AmEx and I'm still learning... could someone please advise how you know if you have a NPSL?

Thanks so much!

>>
FICO8 Scores as of JAN 2021:

FICO8 Scores as of JULY 2023:

FICO9 Scores as of July 2023:

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

Newbie to AmEx and I'm still learning... could someone please advise how you know if you have a NPSL?

Thanks so much!

NPSL example - Copy.jpg

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

I thought my experience might be useful for someone. I opened a Green card in 1994 then burned them for 6k a few years later.  They didnt let me back in until 2014 (Gold NPSL and Blue 5k cards)

In 2017, They snatched my NPSL after a few late payments (under 30 days of course) and I was sitting at a 2k limit until yesterday I got a message saying my NPSL was back. 👍🏼

Two thoughts 

1. Burn them and they forgive after 20 years

2. Miss payments they forgive after 5 years

I know all credit profiles are different, but maybe there is something to it. Just as my NPSL was reinstated I am wondering if the $250 annual fee is worth it for me. 

I get it about the Gold AF. The rewards are very nice, but I have other grocery and dining cards. I often change my mind about what the dining credit is actually worth to me with all the micromanagement.

But I'll keep it as long as I keep getting $15/$35 in monthly Uber credits (instead of $10...I guess no one told Uber I PCed the Platinum to Gold).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

Thanks so much!

Well it'll say on your homepage as pointed out by someone above. Also, the only cards with NPSL would be the charge cards: Green, Gold, Platinum.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 12
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

I had my Gold card reinstated 1.5 years ago with a hard limit of $2k - please don't tell me I have 3.5 years still of this Smiley Sad

I upgraded to the platinum card a few weeks after it was reinstated too so I use it for travel and with a 2k limit it is hard to book anything other than a weekend trip since a single charge can't be higher than 2k....

I spend anywhere from 4-6k/month on it and pay off in full every month since it's been reinstated and nobody seems to be able to explain what is being monitored or what actions weigh most in removing or increasing this limit.

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 8 of 12
elixerin
Established Contributor

my issue with amex spend limits was entirely different so can't comment to that, however i do know if you get hit with late fee and under 30d you arent sitting in timeout for 5 years.. they give u penalty apr for 6 months and thats that im pretty sure. As for how it relates to NPSL, almost certain it doesn't.

Message 9 of 12
elixerin
Established Contributor

@mattayy wrote:

I had my Gold card reinstated 1.5 years ago with a hard limit of $2k - please don't tell me I have 3.5 years still of this Smiley Sad

I upgraded to the platinum card a few weeks after it was reinstated too so I use it for travel and with a 2k limit it is hard to book anything other than a weekend trip since a single charge can't be higher than 2k....

I spend anywhere from 4-6k/month on it and pay off in full every month since it's been reinstated and nobody seems to be able to explain what is being monitored or what actions weigh most in removing or increasing this limit.

removing the NPSL limit was an arse, i closed the card as the convenience just couldnt outweigh anymore.. i sat in negative balances the majority of my time to be able to use that card, after i stopped using it for 3 months they removed the NPSL limit, ATP i was just using the rest of the months credits and a few other benefits before next AF n closing it out.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.