Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Amex Gold

Hey everyone, so I've been recently looking into the Amex Gold, but have a few questions on what the standard requirements are to get the card. I currently have a 772 with Experian, and close to 0% utilization (two cards reporting at a $9 balance). I have an Amex card already, got it in November of 2018. I know right now isn't the best of time to get a new card, but I just want to get everything in order before I do apply. I also wouldn't mind having the extra 3 months to get the Sign up bonus. Does anybody have any insight on the card? I've already found multiple ways to offset the annual fee between the hotel collection credit as well as the dining fee.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold

Since you're already an Amex cardholder, go into View All Cards and click on Apply for the Gold card. If it says "expanding your membership with us is easy..." then it's probably best to wait. If it says "Matt9543, you are preapproved!" it's a good sign that they're ready to give you the card. Your score is well above the needed level and your utilization is prime. See what the preapproval says and if it says you're preapproved, go for it. 

Message 2 of 31
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since you're already an Amex cardholder, go into View All Cards and click on Apply for the Gold card. If it says "expanding your membership with us is easy..." then it's probably best to wait. If it says "Matt9543, you are preapproved!" it's a good sign that they're ready to give you the card. Your score is well above the needed level and your utilization is prime. See what the preapproval says and if it says you're preapproved, go for it. 

I did see it says I am preapprooved for the card, it just asks me to insert my income and another question I don't remember off the top of my head. Do you know around what income they prefer you have to be approved?

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 31
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

With your present relationship with AMEX and your excellent EX score, I see absolutely no reason they would not approve you for a charge card. Of course no one on here could ever tell you you're 100% certain of an approval, but I think your odds should be about as close to a lock as you can be. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Even without a preapproval, with your stats if the card makes sense for you, go for it!  Just make sure that you secure the highest Welcome Offer possible for the card; the one showing in any preapprovals in your account may not be the highest one and they are once-in-a-lifetime.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck when you apply! 

Message 6 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Matt9543 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did see it says I am preapprooved for the card, it just asks me to insert my income and another question I don't remember off the top of my head. Do you know around what income they prefer you have to be approved?

Unless your income is extremely low or is not enough to have a reasonable debt-to-income (i.e. you have a $2000 mortgage and $600 car payment each month and only make $36,000 a year), this shouldn't matter for approval but will be important for them to calculate your spending ability.  Whatever the actual number is would be the one to use.

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt9543 wrote:

Hey everyone, so I've been recently looking into the Amex Gold, but have a few questions on what the standard requirements are to get the card. I currently have a 772 with Experian, and close to 0% utilization (two cards reporting at a $9 balance). I have an Amex card already, got it in November of 2018. I know right now isn't the best of time to get a new card, but I just want to get everything in order before I do apply. I also wouldn't mind having the extra 3 months to get the Sign up bonus. Does anybody have any insight on the card? I've already found multiple ways to offset the annual fee between the hotel collection credit as well as the dining fee.

I usually try to err on the side of being conservative, but if your scores are FICO 8 scores I would be surprised if you were denied. Hard to justify that annual fee in the current environment, but that is up to you.

Message 8 of 31
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Matt9543 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless your income is extremely low or is not enough to have a reasonable debt-to-income (i.e. you have a $2000 mortgage and $600 car payment each month and only make $36,000 a year), this shouldn't matter for approval but will be important for them to calculate your spending ability.  Whatever the actual number is would be the one to use.

It's about 15k, but am making more a paycheck on unemployment right now. All I have is a $208 monthly car payment. I recently got a Disneyland AP and it makes more sense to stay at a hotel for trips of more than a day, which is why I thought the hotel collection credit of $100 per 2-night stay would make it worth it alone to cover the annual fee.

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can make it work, then I'd say go for it. Is that same income already on file with Amex for your existing card? If so, then they extended the preapproval knowing it. $15k seems kind of low for a $250 AF charge card but your scores and usage prove you know how to manage your finances, so I would think your odds are good. I'd pull the trigger in your shoes. It is a great card, and you can use it now, take advantage of the 4x MRs for grocery spend and the food delivery credits, and bank the MRs for future use when travel is back more to normal.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.