Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green Approval

tag
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

Amex Green Approval

I received my first Amex card back in 1990. I was young, in the entertainment industry, and feeling good that I had an Amex Gold card. I overextended myself trying to provide for family and ended up not being able to pay off a huge Amex bill. It was charged off and my credit was ruined. I received financially in 2000 but that recovery was short lived. I finally took control of my financial life in 2007 and ordered my credit reports. I went thru every item. I paid off every debt and took my score from 501 to 640. For the last 4 years, I haven't been late with a payment. Now, I pay serious attention to my report. A few months ago, my score dropped to 595 after the company I finance my car thru reported in error that I was late. Thanks to credit alerts, I was able to jump on top of it immediately. I called the car finance company daily for a month until they corrected it.

Now, for the 1st time in my life, 2 agencies rate me over 700 and the 3rd agency rated me at 692. I applied for an Amex earlier this week and was denied. They said it was because I'm over 120 days late with a payment. No way!!! I pulled my report and noticed that BofA never updated my report from 2007. I got on the phone with BofA and explained my issue. The next morning, I received a credit alert that a major change hit my account. BofA removed the negative info. I applied again for an Amex card and was approved. This was a happy moment for me. I finally started to understand finances a few years back and took control.

I'm surprised that they approved me because the AMEX bill from 1990 was the only bill I never paid off. It wasn't on my credit report. I don't care if I'm not backdated. Im just excited to be in the club again 21 years later.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
clownfico
Valued Member

Re: Amex Green Approval

Congrats: Your story is quite inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Message 2 of 12
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

Welcome!!

I just got the "you've been selected" for the green card in the mail yesterday. But I'm not sure if I should take the offer. I too was in default with them in the 90's.

Would it be possibly for you to update us to see if you are back dated? It seem a few are lucky in that happening. I'm hopeful I will be one of those people but I didn't take the offer yet.  

Please keep us posted. thanks

Message 3 of 12
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

I will let you know when the card arrives.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 4 of 12
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

Thank You Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
I received my first Amex card back in 1990. I was young, in the entertainment industry, and feeling good that I had an Amex Gold card. I overextended myself trying to provide for family and ended up not being able to pay off a huge Amex bill. It was charged off and my credit was ruined. I received financially in 2000 but that recovery was short lived. I finally took control of my financial life in 2007 and ordered my credit reports. I went thru every item. I paid off every debt and took my score from 501 to 640. For the last 4 years, I haven't been late with a payment. Now, I pay serious attention to my report. A few months ago, my score dropped to 595 after the company I finance my car thru reported in error that I was late. Thanks to credit alerts, I was able to jump on top of it immediately. I called the car finance company daily for a month until they corrected it.

Now, for the 1st time in my life, 2 agencies rate me over 700 and the 3rd agency rated me at 692. I applied for an Amex earlier this week and was denied. They said it was because I'm over 120 days late with a payment. No way!!! I pulled my report and noticed that BofA never updated my report from 2007. I got on the phone with BofA and explained my issue. The next morning, I received a credit alert that a major change hit my account. BofA removed the negative info. I applied again for an Amex card and was approved. This was a happy moment for me. I finally started to understand finances a few years back and took control.

I'm surprised that they approved me because the AMEX bill from 1990 was the only bill I never paid off. It wasn't on my credit report. I don't care if I'm not backdated. Im just excited to be in the club again 21 years later.

Wow! Your experience is very similar to mine. Maybe Amex has quietly instituted a 20 year limit to their unpaid CO blacklist. Congrats on the approval!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 12
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

I just received my Amex Green card. Wow. I've come a long way.

Message 7 of 12
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

So was it back dated?

Message 8 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats ..

Message 9 of 12
poet
Regular Contributor

Congratulations--and wow, indeed. I'm another 90s ex-Green Card holder. Maybe there's hope for me, too. Very tight finances are forcing me to dig out of some scary-high UTILs at the moment, but another month or two of austerity should set it right again. You go, Bronx!

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.