cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green Senior AF without being a senior?

tag
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

Amex Green Senior AF without being a senior?

So reading throughout the threads, some people have qualified for the "senior member fee" of around $35 instead of the regular $95. They also said they are not seniors. 

How does one qualify for one?

I still keep my Green year after year, but I don't use it too much, i just want the tradeline open incase someday MR points become more valueble again and i'll upgrade to the PRG. Right now I only spend about $2000 a year on it.  It would be nice to get the AF down to $35! i'm in my 30s FWIW. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Green Senior AF without being a senior?

Does the AMEX Green "Senior" card even participate in MR program? Hence the low annual fee of $35? Wouldn't your MR points expire if you're not enrolled in any level of the MRe, MR or MR1 programs?

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 9
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

Does the AMEX Green "Senior" card even participate in MR program? Hence the low annual fee of $35? Wouldn't your MR points expire if you're not enrolled in any level of the MRe, MR or MR1 programs?

I doubt they are regular MR points, I'm pretty sure they are MR express points. Of course one would transfer them to an airline before converting the card to a MR express card.

But if you collect MR express points, once u upgrade or obtain a regular MR card, the points become regular MR points again.

Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It is eligible but you must pay a fee to enroll in the program.

2. WHO CAN USE THE PROGRAM & ANNUAL FEES
Not all Cardmembers are eligible to participate in the Membership Rewards program. Some eligible Cardmembers are automatically enrolled in the program at no additional charge. Other Cardmembers must choose to enroll and pay an annual fee. Each Card account or Card that is linked to your program account is called a Linked Card Account. Use the chart below to see if you are eligible for the program, whether you are automatically enrolled and whether there is an additional cost for enrolling. If your Card is not listed in the chart below, you are not eligible for the program.

Card/Product Name Automatically Enrolled? Additional Cost to Enroll?

Consumer Cards
American Express® Gold Card Yes None
American Express® Green Card Yes None
American Express® Rewards Plus Gold Card Yes None
American Express® Senior Gold Card No $40
American Express® Senior Green Card No. $40
Message 4 of 9
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

Interesting, so I can possibly remove the Membership Rewards portion from my Green card and lower the AF?

Message 5 of 9
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Is it really possible? I am thinking about applying for an Amex green soon but the AF is still a bit too much (as I wish I had kept the Zync :/). 

Message 6 of 9
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@Pat94108 wrote:

Is it really possible? I am thinking about applying for an Amex green soon but the AF is still a bit too much (as I wish I had kept the Zync :/). 

I found a lot of my questions answered on this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Zync-PC-thread/m-p/2442149#M693416

However, a new question arose! I posted a new question on that thread...

And yes, the CSR just told me anyone above 18 years old can have the Senior card!

Message 7 of 9
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

Talked to the CSR and he said the Senior Green ($35) has the option to add the full MR program for $40 which = $75 for the Full MR Senior Green Card.

Funny thing, he couldn't tell me the difference between the $95 Green card and the $75 Senior Green Card. He kept going around and beating around the bush copying and pasting literature from the website. Never told me the difference...

Message 8 of 9
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

I was thinking the same thing last night, there seems to be no reason not to get the senior plus the $40 or the senior gold for $55 plus $40

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.