Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green charge card

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Green charge card

@Lucifer wrote:

I have it.   The 3x restaurant is nice but I am looking for them to offer me an upgrade to GOLD.  Gold just tis my spend better.     

Unfortuneately for me, they only seemed intent on giving me offers to go to Platinum which would be great if I traveled a lot but I do not.

C'mon AMex !!!

PS   -  I am not so sure the 3x MR points is wirth the 150 AF.    You really need to be taking advantage of the travel benefots for the GREEN card to work.     I was not all that happy that they turned it into a mini Platinum card.   I think they missed the boat on that refresh.

It should have been something to compliment the other two - Like:

Platinum:  Airline, hotels

Gold:  Restaurants, Gorcery

Green:  Gas, Entertainment

Had they done that - you would have had ppl getting all three.... 

Hey AMEX - You messed up.   I still love you, but you messed up.

I think the rationale behind Amex's refresh of the Green Card was to steal potential customers from the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  Both cards have 3x points for travel and dining, but the Green Card has a much lower fee.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 21 of 22
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Green charge card

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Lucifer wrote:

I have it.   The 3x restaurant is nice but I am looking for them to offer me an upgrade to GOLD.  Gold just tis my spend better.     

Unfortuneately for me, they only seemed intent on giving me offers to go to Platinum which would be great if I traveled a lot but I do not.

C'mon AMex !!!

PS   -  I am not so sure the 3x MR points is wirth the 150 AF.    You really need to be taking advantage of the travel benefots for the GREEN card to work.     I was not all that happy that they turned it into a mini Platinum card.   I think they missed the boat on that refresh.

It should have been something to compliment the other two - Like:

Platinum:  Airline, hotels

Gold:  Restaurants, Gorcery

Green:  Gas, Entertainment

Had they done that - you would have had ppl getting all three.... 

Hey AMEX - You messed up.   I still love you, but you messed up.

I think the rationale behind Amex's refresh of the Green Card was to steal potential customers from the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  Both cards have 3x points for travel and dining, but the Green Card has a much lower fee.

Yeah, that's it right there. Platinum only gives you 5x hotels if you book through the AMEX portal. Whoops, there went your elite benefits. Green gives you 3x for all travel and you can book any way you would like. For my spending 3x everywhere for travel/rideshare/transit and being able to use hotel status beats 5x flights and hotels via portal, no status plus $400 in extra fees. It's not a close call (I might get Platinum at some point for the churn and then ditch it, but I actually want to keep Green). Granted there is always someone who has a different story who is better served by Platinum, but Green isn't a bad card at all. A card that earns MRs like CSR but is cheaper for AF seems pretty good to me.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.