cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve?

mkhan1093
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Green vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Wow @Aim_High that was an incredible breakdown! More people should get into the nitty gritty like you just did Smiley Very Happy

That definitely is a great analysis of the two cards, in which realms they're comparable and in which they aren't. I think given all that you said I can see why there are so many more CSR holders than Green holders. I'm definitely going to rethink my strategy in the near future.

Message 21 of 25
K-in-Boston

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

If I lived near one of those 34 major airports and it was my normal airport portal, I could see the value in a CLEAR membership.  For many others who frequent a variety of airports or fly less often, it could chip away at the cost-value proposition versus a card that offers TSA Precheck-Global Entry at complete reimbursement with no added cost.  

I use SEA, frequently fly to LAS, PHX, JFK, SJC so CLEAR is pretty useful to me (even though I have the $50 variant on Global Entry that includes Canada express entry and exit, NEXUS).

I find a lot of value in CLEAR.  As a smoker, it's great because even an hour layover at most airports is plenty of time to exit the airport, have a smoke, go back through security and still be at my gate for boarding. 😂  

Regarding something mentioned previously, CLEAR is not really a competitor to PreCheck as it just moves you ahead in the regular line, however if one also has TSA PreCheck, CLEAR puts you right at the scanners.  Most of my security experiences are 60-90 seconds from entering the CLEAR lane to grabbing my carry-on and looking for SkyClub.

In retrospect, I do wish I had applied for NEXUS instead of GE (especially since I did my GE interview in Toronto anyway).  The sole difference is NEXUS entry into Canada (GE is valid for NEXUS entry into the US), but for me that would have been well worth the $50/person over $0 net for GE.  I'll definitely schedule a NEXUS interview at renewal time unless I find myself with a flight or layover to Canada beforehand and just schedule it for when I am there.

But back to the topic, CLEAR can certainly be an easy reduction of the AF on Green.  I may grab one for an elevated Welcome Offer at some point but not until after I renew CLEAR in January anyway.

Message 22 of 25
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I find a lot of value in CLEAR.  As a smoker, it's great because even an hour layover at most airports is plenty of time to exit the airport, have a smoke, go back through security and still be at my gate for boarding. 😂  

... CLEAR is not really a competitor to PreCheck as it just moves you ahead in the regular line, however if one also has TSA PreCheck, CLEAR puts you right at the scanners.  Most of my security experiences are 60-90 seconds from entering the CLEAR lane to grabbing my carry-on and looking for SkyClub.

Thanks for that clarification @K-in-Boston.  I've seen the CLEAR checkpoints at airports but thought they were somewhat independent of the TSA scanners.  So you really need both CLEAR and TSA Precheck to make Clear effective??  Smiley Indifferent 

Now as to sneaking out for a smoke,

I can save you a trip ... lol Smiley Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K59EMGgrUA

But seriously, we want to keep you around My Fico Smiley Wink  so maybe we should pass the hat for a box of nicotene patches?

Length of Credit > 35 years; Total Credit Limits > $500K
AoOA > 27 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2020); Gardening since 08/15/20.
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 25
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

If I lived near one of those 34 major airports and it was my normal airport portal, I could see the value in a CLEAR membership.  For many others who frequent a variety of airports or fly less often, it could chip away at the cost-value proposition versus a card that offers TSA Precheck-Global Entry at complete reimbursement with no added cost.  

I use SEA, frequently fly to LAS, PHX, JFK, SJC so CLEAR is pretty useful to me (even though I have the $50 variant on Global Entry that includes Canada express entry and exit, NEXUS).

Regarding something mentioned previously, CLEAR is not really a competitor to PreCheck as it just moves you ahead in the regular line, however if one also has TSA PreCheck, CLEAR puts you right at the scanners.  Most of my security experiences are 60-90 seconds from entering the CLEAR lane to grabbing my carry-on and looking for SkyClub.

In retrospect, I do wish I had applied for NEXUS instead of GE (especially since I did my GE interview in Toronto anyway).  The sole difference is NEXUS entry into Canada (GE is valid for NEXUS entry into the US), but for me that would have been well worth the $50/person over $0 net for GE.  I'll definitely schedule a NEXUS interview at renewal time unless I find myself with a flight or layover to Canada beforehand and just schedule it for when I am there.

But back to the topic, CLEAR can certainly be an easy reduction of the AF on Green.  I may grab one for an elevated Welcome Offer at some point but not until after I renew CLEAR in January anyway.

My NEXUS/GE membership predates me having access to a card that would allow me GE reimbursement (it's been well worth the two $50 fees to get NEXUS/GE/Pre√ all together). They're changing the NEXUS fees to be aligned with GE though, so maybe (?) they'll allow NEXUS reimbursement next time around.

My AMEX Green has been a winner, winner, chicken dinner this year for me though: 45k SUB, I got a $60 credit because they couldn't generate a card number at signup (LOL, OK, thank you), $80 in cell phone fees reimbursed May-December, $100 off CLEAR (I haven't used it as much as I would, but I have used it), multiple hotel and rental car related AMEX offers for cashback that are generating 3x MR off the total amount before the cashback (and because AMEX Green is an all-rounder for earning I don't have to sweat loyalty to a chain to maximize return). This is an easy net positive card for me in year one even without the Loungebuddy stuff coming into play (and lounge access is pretty low on what I want from a premium travel card anyway).

I could see scenarios where I eventually dump heavy earning/commitment in the AMEX MR ecosystem for Chase UR, and if that happened it would probably be CSR though I might well do CSP if the bonus is better, wait out the year, PC to CSR as part of an AMEX->Chase transition. I dabble a fair amount in cashback and IMO Chase UR is a better match for a cashback/transferrable points hybrid earning style, but it would be something done over time, since I'm LOL/24 for all of 2021 by committing to AMEX during 2020 (my credit rebuild wasn't going to let me go into Chase before 2021). It wasn't worth the lost time of opportunity cost in waiting out the Chase clock (plus building a trifecta/quadfecta adds extra time).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k
Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k
Capital One Quicksilver 11k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
SoFi MC World Elite 8k
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Citi AA Mileup 6.9k
Petal2 VISA 6k
AMEX Hilton Aspire 6.2k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Amazon/Synchrony 5k
Hotels.com 5k
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 3.1k
Apple Card 3k
Cathay Pacific/Synchrony 2.5k
AMEX Delta Gold 2.2k
Target 800
Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 24 of 25
drboxing
Established Contributor

I like the AMEX Green because id does have perks that I like. I'm over 5/24 so I don't qualify for CSP so AMEX Green and Gold work for me. For my travel I have my Platinum card and its perks.
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.