Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton Honors

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Hilton Honors

Is it safe to assume that application for the co-branded Amex cards (like H.H. Amex), issued by Amex, does get pulled for approval through Experian( just like a regular Amex card).

I got denied in Feb for having an active recovery product (Optima), would that still be the case the co--branded cards issued by Amex. I thought I read  on here that he co-branced cards are different and are not managed by Amex, so it may not affect the application/approval process. I hate to close my 5K CL, but I need a card with benefits..

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Hilton Honors

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it safe to assume that application for the co-branded Amex cards (like H.H. Amex), issued by Amex, does get pulled for approval through Experian( just like a regular Amex card).

I got denied in Feb for having an active recovery product (Optima), would that still be the case the co--branded cards issued by Amex. I thought I read  on here that he co-branced cards are different and are not managed by Amex, so it may not affect the application/approval process. I hate to close my 5K CL, but I need a card with benefits..

I htought you couldn't get any American Express Cards until you close the Optima.

But I don't believe I have seen anyone take the steps to close Optima and then apply for new Amex Cards and get denied and then stuck with no Optima or new replacement.

I would make sure you had at least a year with Optima probably though.

Message 2 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Think you are getting mixed up between Amex issued cards vs. cards on the Amex transaction network (similar to Visa or MC)

Basically any card on the Amex website including co-branded cards are all Amex issued and follow the AMEX rules and give whatever listed benefits from AMEX.  There are a few cards, like your optima card and that old Mercedes Benz Plat Card that are hard to find on the website that are also AMEX issued.

The cards on the AMEX transaction network follow the rules and get benefits provided by the card issuer.  These include USAA, FIA (Fidelity), PenFed Amex to name a few.  While the benefits like purchase protection, concierge, etc. might mimic what Amex issued cards provide, they are provided by the card issuer.

As for your Optima card, you might want to call them up and do some research on how/when you can get from out from underneath the recovery product issue.  I hear different things currently how how it is handled.  Some say you need to cancel Optima and app for your new card (make sure your FICO is high enough).  Others say no it has little/no effect, but might be cited as reason for denial but really your credit profile isn't good enough.  Others say you can call Optima line and do a PC.  YMMV

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

As for your Optima card, you might want to call them up and do some research on how/when you can get from out from underneath the recovery product issue.  I hear different things currently how how it is handled.  Some say you need to cancel Optima and app for your new card (make sure your FICO is high enough).  Others say no it has little/no effect, but might be cited as reason for denial but really your credit profile isn't good enough.  Others say you can call Optima line and do a PC.  YMMV

My scores now are 715 TU, 691 EQ and it was 709 EX when I applied for a Amex charged card and got the deadly "active recovery product" response. I have since obtained Discover w/ 5K CL and Chase Mariott w/ 5K CL, so I may have a shot. I will pay off the $200 balance on the Optima and try next month. Will update.

Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

To answer your original question about Experian ~ yes AMEX usually pulls EX, however sometimes they will go to one of the others ( or both ) for revolving card approvals.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I'm interested in the Hilton Honors card. Anyone have any experience with this card. How are the rewards and what are the perks. I tend to use Hilton a lot since they have many many locations in my area.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.