Did you mean: 

Amex Holiday 6.99% offer

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Holiday 6.99% offer

@score_building wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

The normal rate on my SPG is 17.24%. Not that I would ever carry a balance on a rewards card when CU cards are 7% all the time.

Just thought it was interesting due to the whole "Amex doesn't like balances" mantra we always see here.

Obviously they want you to carry a balance with this offer.

First they love it. Smiley Happy

Then they hate it. Smiley Surprised

For the paranoid.  I have no problem carrying balance with amex or any other card. If they do. Cancel time. But charge card. N choice. But most cards I must say 0 balance. But if. Had to. Let it ride. 

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tis the Season!

Mid last month I got a 0% for 18 months BT offer from USBank. (3% fee natch)

Its funny because I had just BTed the entire balance from my USBank REI card to my PenFed Amex card back in August to reduce the interest I was paying on it from 13.99% to 4.99%.

Now looks like I will be BTing most of it right back to the same card at 0%, which is fine with me because in the end I am saving quite a bit of money on interest, AND I rarely use my REI card for anything, but I use my PenFed Amex all the time.

The other nice thing is that my PenFed Amex has no BT fee ever, so it didn't cost me anything to BT to it originally.

Message 32 of 35
rlx01
Established Contributor

It most likely will cost you less in interest to keep your balance on PenFed then to move it for a 3% upfront fee.

It depends if you're paying down your balance or not.
Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rlx01 wrote:
It most likely will cost you less in interest to keep your balance on PenFed then to move it for a 3% upfront fee.

It depends if you're paying down your balance or not.

I was skeptical at first, but I ran the numbers and I am indeed saving money by doing the BT even with the 3% fee.

4.99% APR over 18 months = .416 MPR

vs

3% advertised over 18 months = 0.166 MPR

I do realize I am paying that 3% all up front and that changes the numbers a bit, but I used one of those online comparison calculators and the USBank offer comes out on top.

Not a huge amount of money in interest difference between the two, but it gets the balance on a card I never use, vs. on a card I use all the time.

I can set the payments on the USBank account and forget them. I should have it paid off in its entirety within that 18 months.

Message 34 of 35
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Just got this offer myself and signed up for it. Never carried a balance on the card so in theory it doesnt matter, but it makes me feel better than seeing 17.99% Smiley Happy

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.