Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex MR offer

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex MR offer

You think that's bad...

The offer I got on my Blue Business was to spend $13,500 and earn 3500 MR points... up to three times!

So not even 0.5x.  I don't put that much spend on the card anyway, but this offer isn't exactly making me want to rearrange my spend

Message 11 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@micvite wrote:

This has got to be the WORST offer I've ever seen... 0.5 points per dollar spent. I guess this is what happens when you put 25k on the card in the first month they just expect you're gonna keep doing it and they throw you a few crumbs to thank you lol.Screenshot_20220110-071609_Amex.jpg

I'm struggling to understand what's "worst" about this.

It's not something you have to accept, and it's not something Amex had to do.

It's simply added incentive, nothing more nothing less.

And to put it in perspective, not even a couple of months ago threads were all "they won't let me spend money on Gold without paying constantly"

Now they loosened reigns, approved you for couple of additional cards,  suddenly they  "worst" . What's even weirder, you just got approved for this card, so one would think you would be in honeymoon approval/spending phase.

Message 12 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You think that's bad...

The offer I got on my Blue Business was to spend $13,500 and earn 3500 MR points... up to three times!

So not even 0.5x.  I don't put that much spend on the card anyway, but this offer isn't exactly making me want to rearrange my spend

Do you have a better off-category card? Or is there some SUB you're meeting?

If not, it makes an already great off-category card even better.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@micvite wrote:

It's on the platinum and I don't see myself spending nearly that much in airfare this year (just bought a car and signed on a house which will eliminate all of my cash savings) and the Amex travel portal is significantly more expensive for hotels than just booking directly half the time. Had this come out before I maxed the 10x on restaurants sign up bonus it wiuldbe been useful, I would've gotten am extra 12k points, but other than that I just use the citi DC to get 2typ on daily purchases. Maybe towards the end of the year I'll activate it in case I decide to buy a vacation for 2023 lol

While there are certainly cases where it's better to book direct (generally for elite loyalty benefits and earnings which are very rarely honored when booking through an OTA), Amex Travel prices (with some exceptions noted later) will usually be the same as through any other OTA and those will also generally be the same as booking direct except for specific sales.  Typically when one sees pricing discrepencies between OTAs (and direct airline or hotel purchases), it is because some front-ends will display all-in pricing (with taxes and any fees) and others will display subtotal pricing.  With Hotel Collection, FHR, Insider Fares, and International Airline Program bookings, Amex will actually often have lower pricing than booking direct, however.

A 50% bonus on earnings is far from a "worst" offer.  Keep in mind that 1.5x on purchases of $5000 or more is actually a key selling point of the Business Platinum Card.  I often get offers such as "3000 bonus MRs for $13,500+ spend (up to 5 times, offer expires in 21 days)," and while that's not lucrative enough to make me switch spending from other cards, it's still free additional points if I were going to make the spend anyway.  Amex Offers should be icing on the cake, not justification alone for holding a card.  As for the Double Cash card, with a strategic redemption, 1.5 MR points can be far more valuable than 2 TYP.

Message 14 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@micvite wrote:

It's on the platinum and I don't see myself spending nearly that much in airfare this year (just bought a car and signed on a house which will eliminate all of my cash savings) and the Amex travel portal is significantly more expensive for hotels than just booking directly half the time. Had this come out before I maxed the 10x on restaurants sign up bonus it wiuldbe been useful, I would've gotten am extra 12k points, but other than that I just use the citi DC to get 2typ on daily purchases. Maybe towards the end of the year I'll activate it in case I decide to buy a vacation for 2023 lol

While there are certainly cases where it's better to book direct (generally for elite loyalty benefits and earnings which are very rarely honored when booking through an OTA), Amex Travel prices (with some exceptions noted later) will usually be the same as through any other OTA and those will also generally be the same as booking direct except for specific sales.  Typically when one sees pricing discrepencies between OTAs (and direct airline or hotel purchases), it is because some front-ends will display all-in pricing (with taxes and any fees) and others will display subtotal pricing.  With Hotel Collection, FHR, Insider Fares, and International Airline Program bookings, Amex will actually often have lower pricing than booking direct, however.

A 50% bonus on earnings is far from a "worst" offer.  Keep in mind that 1.5x on purchases of $5000 or more is actually a key selling point of the Business Platinum Card.  I often get offers such as "3000 bonus MRs for $13,500+ spend (up to 5 times, offer expires in 21 days)," and while that's not lucrative enough to make me switch spending from other cards, it's still free additional points if I were going to make the spend anyway.  Amex Offers should be icing on the cake, not justification alone for holding a card.  As for the Double Cash card, with a strategic redemption, 1.5 MR points can be far more valuable than 2 TYP.

Perhaps. But as you know, since you are in my estimation a super expert on travel cards, there are also strategic redemptions where TYP can be more valuable than MR points, depending on specific travel partners and modes of travel.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 17
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@micvite wrote:

Fair enough, I'm not complaining about the fact that they gave me an offer, just saying it's a pretty bad offer compared to what I've seen in travel groups and in the past on my gold card for example. I guess I should't have said anything since the AMEX gods were listening and now i have NO offers lol.

EDIT: as far as the booking, it's not a significant difference I'm seeing, but for example hilton offers a slight discount for booking through their app as a member and amex doesn't show that discount, so while it's only a few tens of dollars here and there it can add up.

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 16 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You think that's bad...

Do you have a better off-category card? Or is there some SUB you're meeting?

If not, it makes an already great off-category card even better.

Yes it is my default "miscellaneous" card... but I just don't put that kind of churn through it.  My point was that bumping it from 2x to 2.26x won't pull spend away from my other cards.

As it stands I won't hit $13,500 at all during the offer period, so even though I added the offer it didn't do anything for me.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.