Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex MR to Plenti points, 50% bonus.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex MR to Plenti points, 50% bonus.

So I got an email today offering to transfer my MR points to Plenti points with a 50% bonus, so my 60k MR would become 90k Plenti points.

The Plenti website is incredibly limited with specific information as to how to use Plenti points.

Anyways, due to changes in my career and personal life, I won't be travelling much for the next couple years and was going to close my PRG before the AF hits in a few months. Is their a simple and easy way to get basically a cash value for Plenti points, such as gift cards online to places other than Macy's, Exxon, Rite Aid and At&t all of which I have little or no use for?

My thinking was I would simply get an assortment of gift cards through Amex for $600 and close out my points. I didn't want to transfer to an airline for fear of devaluing over the next couple years before I start travelling regularly again. However, with this Plenti offer, and the website saying that 1,000 =$10, I could get $900 in value via Plenti. The question is....how? Also, can I do it online?

While I have this thread open and I am discussing the PRG, does anyone know of a trick to utilize the $100 airline credit (I already selected AA, not sure if I can switch) without having to actually travel or anything? I think I remember seeing a gift card trick at some point.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex MR to Plenti points, 50% bonus.

Plenti points are not very flexible. You can only spend them at Macy's, Rite Aid, and I believe Exxon. You can earn them at those stores plus a few more, but you cannot spend them at all partners.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I got an email today offering to transfer my MR points to Plenti points with a 50% bonus, so my 60k MR would become 90k Plenti points.

The Plenti website is incredibly limited with specific information as to how to use Plenti points.

Anyways, due to changes in my career and personal life, I won't be travelling much for the next couple years and was going to close my PRG before the AF hits in a few months. Is their a simple and easy way to get basically a cash value for Plenti points, such as gift cards online to places other than Macy's, Exxon, Rite Aid and At&t all of which I have little or no use for?

My thinking was I would simply get an assortment of gift cards through Amex for $600 and close out my points. I didn't want to transfer to an airline for fear of devaluing over the next couple years before I start travelling regularly again. However, with this Plenti offer, and the website saying that 1,000 =$10, I could get $900 in value via Plenti. The question is....how? Also, can I do it online?

While I have this thread open and I am discussing the PRG, does anyone know of a trick to utilize the $100 airline credit (I already selected AA, not sure if I can switch) without having to actually travel or anything? I think I remember seeing a gift card trick at some point.

Thanks.

I'd pass and use the miles for something worthwhile like an airline.  Short of that use the points for gift cards but personally I'd just leave them in your Amex account until you start travelling again.

As for the $100, there is no trick.  Just buy a $100 AA gift card and Amex will reimburse you even though gift cards aren't supposed to be covered.  You can't switch airlines at this point.  Only can do that once a year.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks for the responses. I was hoping their was some hidden gift card portal somewhere for Plenti points where I could get useful stores like Amazon, Wal-Mart, Costco etc. $900 for 60k MR would have been nice if it was easier.

Message 4 of 18
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

why not App for the Amex Everyday card and park your MR points on that? Also can keep earning points with it.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok thanks for the responses. I was hoping their was some hidden gift card portal somewhere for Plenti points where I could get useful stores like Amazon, Wal-Mart, Costco etc. $900 for 60k MR would have been nice if it was easier.

The 'trick' you're referring to for the $100 reimbursement is the United Mileage Plus X mobile app; purchases of gift cards (Amazon, etc.) using the app code as airline incidentals, and trigger the reimbursement.  It's technically not 'supposed' to work, but for the moment it does... I wouldn't count on it always working, though.

In any case, for it to work you must have United Airlines pre-selected on your PRG.  Since you already have AA selected you would need to wait until the first of the year so you could change it, which doesn't help you now.  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

why not App for the Amex Everyday card and park your MR points on that? Also can keep earning points with it.

+1  This ^^^ is exactly what I would do. 

The Everyday Card has no AF, and would seem to be a perfect match for your MR-retaining needs.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

50% bonus to Plenti points... One word.. YUCK!

Message 8 of 18
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

While I agree.... IF you buy your gas as Exxon or Mobil gas a lot it could be worth it?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

While I agree.... IF you buy your gas as Exxon or Mobil gas a lot it could be worth it?

Honestly not really sure.. I looked at it when it came out and the partners it is with now and still stinks to me.. Not sure how the gas works although gas is so cheap as it is now.  People IMO that have MR's should be transferring them to travel partners unless you don't travel, but that begs the question why did you get an MR card in the first place.  Even regular MR's at a deflated value not for travel is still probably better than plenti points, but once again haven't read much w/regards to plenti after the inception of it.  So others that keep up with this stuff would be better to judge than myself

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.