Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

tag
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

Okay so my credit reports show a date opened 1984 on two different accounts, plus the accounts still show opened as of today.  The primary cardholder opened the account in the late 70's so it's not the primary cardholders open date.

I have called Amex 3 different times, and each CSR keeps telling me that the date they show that I had my first card was in 1992.  I then ask why does my credit report show 1984.  I am then told that is probably when the primary card holder first opened the account but they can't verify that because the account is closed and so old that they can't see it.

I am then told that the MSD of 1992 is when *I* first opened my own account.  All of the 3 CSR's told me the same thing that 1992 is when I opened my own account.

But wait.....

I have never applied for my own Amex until a week ago! Smiley Surprised

So I can't figure out WTH they are talking about.  I know for sure that I had a card in my hands well before 1992, but I'm hesitant to push it anymore because they are showing that I had my own account in 1992.  So something is really messed up in their system when it comes down to me.

And to add on to that, the primary cardholder that I was an AU on filed BK on Amex in 2009 and took them down for almost $30K.  When the primary cardholder told me that things were going downhill I asked for my account to be closed.

So should I just leave this alone and accept the 1992 date?

I just don't want to rock the boat but I'm sure that this is wrong.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

Wow, great question. I'm curious too lol!

Was the year the main account (that went bankrupt) 1992 by chance?
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 20
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:
Wow, great question. I'm curious too lol!

Was the year the main account (that went bankrupt) 1992 by chance?

No, it was 2009.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 20
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

I would move on and accept the 1992 membership date.  JMHO....I personally wouldn't want to piss them off over something like this; however I do understand your point.  

Edit for typo :-)

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 4 of 20
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Very odd. I wonder where the 1992 date came from. I'm not really sure if arguing the point with them will help if they have no record of the original account you were an AU on. The bankruptcy account was the second time you were an AU on a Amex I assume , totally separate accounts?
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 20
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

I would move on and accept the 1992 membership date.  JMHO....I personally wouldn't want to piss them off over something like this; however I don't understand your point.  

Well, the point is that my MSD is wrong.

Message 6 of 20
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

Okay so my credit reports show a date opened 1984 on two different accounts, plus the accounts still show opened as of today.  The primary cardholder opened the account in the late 70's so it's not the primary cardholders open date.

I have called Amex 3 different times, and each CSR keeps telling me that the date they show that I had my first card was in 1992.  I then ask why does my credit report show 1984.  I am then told that is probably when the primary card holder first opened the account but they can't verify that because the account is closed and so old that they can't see it.

I am then told that the MSD of 1992 is when *I* first opened my own account.  All of the 3 CSR's told me the same thing that 1992 is when I opened my own account.

But wait.....

I have never applied for my own Amex until a week ago! Smiley Surprised

So I can't figure out WTH they are talking about.  I know for sure that I had a card in my hands well before 1992, but I'm hesitant to push it anymore because they are showing that I had my own account in 1992.  So something is really messed up in their system when it comes down to me.

And to add on to that, the primary cardholder that I was an AU on filed BK on Amex in 2009 and took them down for almost $30K.  When the primary cardholder told me that things were going downhill I asked for my account to be closed.

So should I just leave this alone and accept the 1992 date?

I just don't want to rock the boat but I'm sure that this is wrong.

Strange dating situation...well, if your CR's are accurate and you feel it is important for AmEx to correct their MSD date, then definitely follow-up. If you are worried about being connected to the BK, even though AU's are not responsible for the account's payment, then I would just accept the 1992 MSD. Just my opinion...I'm not sure what the best course of action should be...the best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 20
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

@ Rhaney that was the typo I corrected. Don't vs. Do

Please see my message again.  You replied back before noticing my change.  Again I do understand your point, but personally wouldn't rock the boat with Amex Express when their records says something otherwise.

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 8 of 20
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:
Very odd. I wonder where the 1992 date came from. I'm not really sure if arguing the point with them will help if they have no record of the original account you were an AU on. The bankruptcy account was the second time you were an AU on a Amex I assume , totally separate accounts?

Yea they have the original account I was on.  But they can't find where I was added on in 1984.  They are saying that since I opened my own account in 1992, which I didn't, that this is the date that they're using.

And I was on the same Amex account from way back then up until the original cardholder filed BK in 2009.  

Of course for me the biggest benefit for me is my AAoA since some of accounts fell off for no apparent reason.  My AAoA dropped from 5.6 years to 2.9 years overnight Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 20
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I've read on here that Amex has a Credit Bureau Reporting division - maybe try talking to someone in that area rather than regular/frontline CSR?

Good luck to you in your quest.  I think I would still be pretty happy with my credit reports reflecting the 1984 opening date, although I would worry that at some point they may end up with the 1992 opening date.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.