Did you mean: 

Amex Made Odd Change to Credit Report

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Made Odd Change to Credit Report

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

To those that are following this thread, I have a bit of an update...   

I have continued to call Amex Customer Service, as well as the Amex Credit Unit, each time falling on pretty much deaf ears, meanwhile I have continued to use my Amex Card without any problems, proviong that it is still an open account.   No matter how hard I tried to explain to the Credit Unit that it was pretty much impossible for all three CRA's to report the same error, on the same account, in the same week, they still would not listen.  

Finally, I got someone in the Amex Credit Unit that did not blow me off and actually listened.  He agreed with me that despite the fact that they showed my account open and in good standing, and showed no sign of reporting the account as closed to the CRA's, he agreed with me that it was a bit far-fetched for all three CRA's to show the same mistake on the same account at the same time.  This gentleman put me on hold a few times, and was supposedly digging deeper and speaking to supervisors.  

The verdict....   Sort of....  The gentleman in the Credit Unit believes that a couple of things that happened on the account nearly simultaneously. caused a hiccup in how my account reported.  He admitted that it really was a guess, however it was the closest that he and his supervisor could figure out as to what took place.  Here are the issues that they claim took place nearly simultaneously.... 

-- I received a CLI from $9,500 to $22,500

-- A 30-day late that I had from October of 2012 was removed.  This is something that I was working with the EO on four months ago.  They said they would remove this late, but they never did.  I had basically given up for not, but it looks like four months later they got around to it. 

-- My statement closed its normal cycle and reported to the CRA's.  

So, the GUESS is that all of these happening at once, caused a temporary hiccup.  Who knows for sure.  I could not get anyone to agree to do a mid-cycle update, however a few days ago it somehow got corrected on my EQUIFAX report.  It now shows as open, CL of $22,500 and the 30-day late from 2012 is gone.  Experian and TU are still showing the account as CLOSED (TU with the old CL and Exp with the new CL), and both with the 30-day late gone.  I am pretty sure or hopeful that in the next week or so these two CRA's will update with the correct information.  

IF what caused this hiccup is accurate, and I don't think anyone knows for sure, it just shows that credit reporting is NOT perfect, which all of us here already know.  

Thanks again for the support everyone!  

Glad it was fixed.  One thing we can see is that as good as the AMEX product is, they seem to lack in CSR department with a lot of people.  I had a not too good experience with them as well in the short time I have had my card.

I agree in regard to their service overall.  I found the main CSR's to be pretty good, however all they could tell me was that the account was open and in good standing.  They had to refer me to the Credit Unit from that point.  Other than the last guy I talked to, who dug a bit deeper, I found the people in the Credit Unit to be HORRIBLE!   I think any reasonable person would realize that the same thing reporting to all three CB's, on the same account, in the same week, would have had to come from them, but they were just not interested.  I am guessing that they receive a lot of cranky calls and probably get fed BS at times (or a lot), however not all calls should be treated like the enemy.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 21 of 29
EW800
Valued Contributor

One more area I am hoping to get the input of others on...  

As I mentioned, the issue has been corrected on my Equifax report.  No issue there.  I have thought about doing a dispute with TU and Exp to get this corrected, however I am thinking it might just be best to wait it out and assume that the other two CRA's will correct as well.  I am pretty sure that the other two will eventually correct, since EQ did.  I would hate to do anything that could make it worse.  

What would some of you do or suggest?  

Thanks again to all!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 22 of 29
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Wait till at least the next reporting period.
Signature needs updating
Message 23 of 29
EW800
Valued Contributor

I think that is very good advice. Thank you! With Equifax correcting itself (or something that Amex did behind the scenes), I would think the other two would not be too far behind.
Message 24 of 29
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Wait till at least the next reporting period.

+1

Yeah, definitely wait until the next reporting cycle. If it does not change, then you should explore other options. Creating uneccesary work for everyone is not warranted, just yet. Since EQ already fixed it, it will likely update on the other two on the next regular cycle update.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 25 of 29
EW800
Valued Contributor

For those that may have been following this thread, I *finally* got the TU inaccurate reporting resolved.  It took two months or so, but finally done.  Smiley Happy

RECAP:   All in the same week in December, all three CRA's began showing my Amex Account as CLOSED.  That sure caught my attention.  I contact Amex right away, and was told the account was absolutely open and in good standing, with $0 balance.  They did a mid-cycle update to all 3 CRA's. and Experian and Equifax showed as corrected very quickly.  TU went weeks and weeks, with the account still showing as Closed, even after a normal cycle reporting and at least three mid-cycle updates by Amex.  I also made a few calls to TU, who just said that was the way Amex was reporting it.  

RESOLUTION:  About a week ago, I had an idea!  This account has showed $0 balance for several months, as I always PIF before the statement cut.  Nothing else seemed to work at getting TU to report correctly, so I decided to go ahead and allow about $20 to report on my statement that closed last week.  Boom, that seems to have done it.  With the balance reporting, that updated to TU (as well as the other two), and shows the account as OPEN as well.  Not sure what the issue was, but I guess TU's computers did not like the mid-cycle updates with the $0 balance and would not change the status of Closed to Open.  As for what caused the initial reporting of Closed to all three CRA's in December, all Amex can figure is that it was a glitch given that I basically had a CLI increase, statement cut and a 30-day late all hitting simultaneously.  No clue if that is truly what caused it or not, but that is the closest all the supervisors that I spoke to could figure out.  

All is reporting accurately now.  Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 29
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

For those that may have been following this thread, I *finally* got the TU inaccurate reporting resolved.  It took two months or so, but finally done.  Smiley Happy

RECAP:   All in the same week in December, all three CRA's began showing my Amex Account as CLOSED.  That sure caught my attention.  I contact Amex right away, and was told the account was absolutely open and in good standing, with $0 balance.  They did a mid-cycle update to all 3 CRA's. and Experian and Equifax showed as corrected very quickly.  TU went weeks and weeks, with the account still showing as Closed, even after a normal cycle reporting and at least three mid-cycle updates by Amex.  I also made a few calls to TU, who just said that was the way Amex was reporting it.  

RESOLUTION:  About a week ago, I had an idea!  This account has showed $0 balance for several months, as I always PIF before the statement cut.  Nothing else seemed to work at getting TU to report correctly, so I decided to go ahead and allow about $20 to report on my statement that closed last week.  Boom, that seems to have done it.  With the balance reporting, that updated to TU (as well as the other two), and shows the account as OPEN as well.  Not sure what the issue was, but I guess TU's computers did not like the mid-cycle updates with the $0 balance and would not change the status of Closed to Open.  As for what caused the initial reporting of Closed to all three CRA's in December, all Amex can figure is that it was a glitch given that I basically had a CLI increase, statement cut and a 30-day late all hitting simultaneously.  No clue if that is truly what caused it or not, but that is the closest all the supervisors that I spoke to could figure out.  

Thanks for the update!  I was around when this was first happening.  And nice idea!  Glad everything worked out.

Message 27 of 29
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Very clever idea for getting the reporting corrected. Kudos! Good persistence on your part, too. Thanks for updating us on the resolution.

Message 28 of 29
IamB2
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Clever indeed. This forced them to update their reporting. Thank you for the update on here as to what has happeend. Appreciate it.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.