cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Member Since Date Changed when New Gold Card Received.

tag
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

Amex Member Since Date Changed when New Gold Card Received.

My AMEX PRG had a Membership since 2016, as its date.  I chose to change to the new metal gold card, and when received the date changed to 2006.    Anyone else have a date change when they received the new card?   I did have Amex back in 06 but chose to close it about 08, then did not get a new one until this year.  

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Member Since Date Changed when New Gold Card Received.

I wouldn't be too knowledgeable on this, but I have heard elsewhere in the community that someone had a charge off with American Express, and when they got a new card years down the road it kept that same member since number, so maybe it's linked to your first overall encounter with Amex.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 2 of 39
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@LunaBuna wrote:

My AMEX PRG had a Membership since 2016, as its date.  I chose to change to the new metal gold card, and when received the date changed to 2006.    Anyone else have a date change when they received the new card?   I did have Amex back in 06 but chose to close it about 08, then did not get a new one until this year.  

That's typical. Amex shows my member since as 1999, but this is my first card with them in 19 years. I expect it to show up with 2018 on it, but any replacement should show my 1999 date in the future.

Message 3 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@LunaBuna wrote:

That's typical. Amex shows my member since as 1999, but this is my first card with them in 19 years. I expect it to show up with 2018 on it, but any replacement should show my 1999 date in the future.

+1

In addition, if you're coming back after an "absence" (like I did) your first physical card might have the current year, but once their systems get caught up your dashboard will show your "old" MSD and any replacement cards will have your old date as well.

My PRG that I got a couple of years ago shows a MSD of 2016, but my new 'Gold' replacement has my old date of 1995.  Smiley Happy

(Also note that if you ever apply for a card incognito you might get a card with the current year, but any replacements will have your old date.)

Message 4 of 39
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Same here for me, my first card back in said 2016, then like 2 weeks later when I logged in it said since 2004. So out of curiosity I ordered a replacement card .... the new card since that replacement says 2004 !

Message 5 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And as a reminder (especially for those that remember or have heard of backdating):  for the last few years the Member Since date on the card and/or login has no impact on credit score, the credit report will reflect the date that actual card was opened.

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my first Amex after a 7 year break it had member since 17.  All my cards since have member since 00.  

Message 7 of 39
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

1st card back, Green, member since 2017, since member since 98Smiley Happy. Imagine Amex bringing back bsckdatingSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, Amex sure can shock yah!  I was surprised out of my boots when I got a card this year after a rather longish absence and it said, "Member since 89"  Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

All my AMEX cards are backdated including recently when I got the Rose Gold AMEX Gold. It may not affect credit score, but I still like all of them to be backdated Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.