cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Member Since Date Changed when New Gold Card Received.

tag
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Member Since Date Changed when New Gold Card Received.

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

It's nice to have it on your card & your AMEX online account but...

It doesn't DO anything for you.

It isn't dated that way on the CBs so doesn't help with credit age, score etc... AAshrugs.gif

My 2 yr old AMEX has a member date since 96 but it doesn't report that way nor does anyone ever see it. 

What?   You mean whenever you use the card you don't get a swarm of admirers saying "Member Since 96?   You are so impressive!"

(Mine is really backdated to 1987, and I usually have to push through a crowd of screaming groupies)

lol sign & smiley.gif

Message 21 of 39
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

It isn't dated that way on the CBs so doesn't help with credit age, score etc... AAshrugs.gif

My 2 yr old AMEX has a member date since 96 but it doesn't report that way nor does anyone ever see it. 

I reaIize this.  Its a vanity thing!  I showed a coworker plus a few friends who knew that I cancelled my old card two months, and they were just as surprised as me.  Losing the credit length for that card has no impact on my scores since I have three other tradelines with roughly the same age.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 22 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speaking just for myself, I could go for a policy that is the opposite of the current Amex practice. Put actual card open year on physical card and report open date to CRA as of first Amex card ever opened.

Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2018 Delta Gold showed up with Member since 1994. In 1994 I was an AU on the rents AMEX account, which later turned into my own account in 98. The odd thing is that I had a PRG in 2013, which was closed at my request. No mention of 2013 at all.

I'm not convinced there is a science to this.
Message 24 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I reaIize this.  Its a vanity thing!  I showed a coworker plus a few friends who knew that I cancelled my old card two months, and they were just as surprised as me.  Losing the credit length for that card has no impact on my scores since I have three other tradelines with roughly the same age.

OK.   Just for me I would't associate it with something I could be vain about ("I got a credit card a while back"), or, as Pikaboo-icu suggested, that people would even see.   Still, if your co-workers were impressed, I guess it works for you!

Message 25 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

well, i had an amex card in 2005, closed in 2007, my new RG showed member since 2018...

@Anonymous this is normal if you applied for the RG when you weren't logged in to the Amex site. 

When they send you a replacement card (either when your current one expires or you request a replacement) the new card will have the "Member Since" date that appears on the Amex dashboard.

Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

well, i had an amex card in 2005, closed in 2007, my new RG showed member since 2018...

@Anonymous this is normal if you applied for the RG when you weren't logged in to the Amex site. 

When they send you a replacement card (either when your current one expires or you request a replacement) the new card will have the "Member Since" date that appears on the Amex dashboard.

I will update later, I actually do have a replacement on the way, xD

Message 27 of 39
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous this is normal if you applied for the RG when you weren't logged in to the Amex site

Well, I didn't have an Amex account when I got my BCE in 2017 and was shocked when it arrived with a "Member since 1978". I can't figure out where in the world they came up with that, I'm sure I didn't have an Amex card back then - I was in my early 20s back then and was living & working on a cattle ranch in Colorado and am pretty sure I did leave home without it in my saddlebag.

Message 28 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous this is normal if you applied for the RG when you weren't logged in to the Amex site

Well, I didn't have an Amex account when I got my BCE in 2017 and was shocked when it arrived with a "Member since 1978". I can't figure out where in the world they came up with that, I'm sure I didn't have an Amex card back then - I was in my early 20s back then and was living & working on a cattle ranch in Colorado and am pretty sure I did leave home without it in my saddlebag.

That's a head-scratcher, indeed!  Smiley Surprised

No point in looking a gift horse in the mouth, though!  Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 39
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I've been a continuous AMEX card member since Feb. 1980 when the Gold Card was a very new product and it was pitched at those that supposedly in the "top 5% of credit risks", and that date is what shows up on the card and it also happens to be my oldest trade line on my credit file.  My two Amex cards helps bump up my AAoA to 18 years.

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.