Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Member Since Date based on Costco Membership Date

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Amex Member Since Date based on Costco Membership Date

This was bugging me for a while, so I did the unthinkable. I called Amex. The CSR told me that the although my Costco Membership began in 2007, my first Amex card (the Gold, now Platinum) was activated in May 2008, and therefore that is my Member Since date. Neither that card nor the True Earnings which was activated in June 2008 will get backdated to 2007.

I know at least one person said on here they got their TE card backdated, but that is what the CSR told me last week.

While we were on the phone I asked about the "no set limit." I told him that I had never gone over 1,000 bucks in any one month, but is the limit per month, per transaction? He then said, "I just put in a crazy amount, $10,000 and it went through just fine." I told him when my next CD goes Platinum, I may charge that much at a time.

The funny thing was a few days before, Capital One's CSR was telling me that "We're a very conservative lender" as the reason that they would not raise my $800 Capital One card. So Amex will let me charge 10 Grand, and pay them in 30 days, but Cap One won't let me revolve more that $800? Of course, Amex doesn't want me to charge more than $2,000 on my TE card, either.

That was my experience.

YMMV!

Message Edited by jaysdad2k on 10-25-2009 10:39 PM
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Member Since Date based on Costco Membership Date

AMEX will backdate your card to a previously held AMEX account. For example I opened an AMEX card back in 1993 (closed in 2000). When I opened my Costco AMEX in 2008 I got it backdated to 1993. My account was not backdated to 2006-the date of my costco membership. 

I would be shocked to see amex backdate to a costco membership date. My guess is that any reports of that happening are either mistaken or have some unusual aspects we do not know about.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It could also happen just because the CSR didn't know better...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 13
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Somewhat related; I had the green card back in 1987. I defaulted and wasn't given a card until Jan 2007 which was the blue. My reports now say the account was open in 1987. We all know blue wasn't around then. So when i sign on to Amex it says " Welcome_______ Member since 1987Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 13
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

My AMEX Costco card was backdated to my Costco membership date.  I had been an AMEX Blue Cash member since 10/2007.  When I received my Costco card (3/2009) it was backdated to 4/2007 (the date I became a Costco member).  So, I think they may backdate to earliest date you became an AMEX member or Costco member, whichever one is longer.  If that isn't the case, my card should have said 10/2007 and not 4/2007.  Just my thought.
Message 5 of 13
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@Romeoo47 wrote:
My AMEX Costco card was backdated to my Costco membership date.  I had been an AMEX Blue Cash member since 10/2007.  When I received my Costco card (3/2009) it was backdated to 4/2007 (the date I became a Costco member).  So, I think they may backdate to earliest date you became an AMEX member or Costco member, whichever one is longer.  If that isn't the case, my card should have said 10/2007 and not 4/2007.  Just my thought.
Hi Romeoo47,
 That is interesting News. Are you sure you did not receive your costco card 4/2009? I ask because when AMEX backdated my card they backdated to the year of my old AMEX (1993), but kept the month I obtained my costco AMEX (Feb). Basically I got an additional 3 months of age as my old AMEX was opened 5/1993 and my "new" amex was reaged to 2/1993. 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 6 of 13
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

@Romeoo47 wrote:
Hi Romeoo47,
 That is interesting News. Are you sure you did not receive your costco card 4/2009? I ask because when AMEX backdated my card they backdated to the year of my old AMEX (1993), but kept the month I obtained my costco AMEX (Feb). Basically I got an additional 3 months of age as my old AMEX was opened 5/1993 and my "new" amex was reaged to 2/1993. 

+1

When AMEX backdates, they use the current month and the year of original membership.  So for example, if  a person got their original AMEX in 12/2000 and they applied for an AMEX Costco card in 1/2009, their costco would have a member since date of 1/2000.  The date is earlier than the actual original membership. That's the way they normally do it.

Message 7 of 13
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

cobaltnv, you are right.  the inquiry for the amex costco shows up on 4/2009.  However, I have been a Costco member since 4/2007.  So it was basically the same month as my Costco membership. 
Message 8 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That explains it, then. Same year of membership for both AmEx and CostCo, plus their use of the current month: that explains why it looks like they used the Costco date.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 13
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

AMEX will backdate your card to a previously held AMEX account. For example I opened an AMEX card back in 1993 (closed in 2000). When I opened my Costco AMEX in 2008 I got it backdated to 1993. My account was not backdated to 2006-the date of my costco membership. 

I would be shocked to see amex backdate to a costco membership date. My guess is that any reports of that happening are either mistaken or have some unusual aspects we do not know about.

Cheers 

As would I, but I sure wont dispute it IF it happens!  Smiley Very Happy  I'm the guinea pig.  I've been a Costco member since 1992.  I applied in-store today, was immediately approved for 7500 and issued a paper "temporary" Amex CC.  I've never had an Amex CC so this is a good test.

I'll report back when I get the real card.  (7 - 10 days)

D-R

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.