Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Membership Rewards

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Amex Membership Rewards

I got a Welcome kit for my Amex Everyday card today (about a month after I got the card, but OK)

Most interesting is the thing on MR, How to Turn Points Into Rewards.   This lists

Travel: Pay with Points

Gift cards

Shopping

More ways to use points:

Use points for charges

Shop Amazon.com

Browse dining and entertainment rewards.

So conspicuous by its absence, No mention of transferring to partners, which for many is the whole point of the system!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Membership Rewards

@longtimelurker wrote:

I got a Welcome kit for my Amex Everyday card today (about a month after I got the card, but OK)

Most interesting is the thing on MR, How to Turn Points Into Rewards.   This lists

Travel: Pay with Points

Gift cards

Shopping

More ways to use points:

Use points for charges

Shop Amazon.com

Browse dining and entertainment rewards.

So conspicuous by its absence, No mention of transferring to partners, which for many is the whole point of the system!

I got my packet for EDP few weeks ago as well and i notice nothing about MR to travel partner change. Hmmm i am wondering if an nerf is incoming to everyday cards. I could see amex doing that since ED especially is cannibalizing one of their cards already when it comes to the green charge card. I know amex green is an charge card , but no af ED beats it in every single way , that doesn't even include the 2x on groceries. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, a lot of people thought that the ED wouldn't have real MR, more something like MRE, and were surprised to discover that it was full MR.   I don't know if Amex could really change that now, or at least have newly issued EDs as MREs. I think that would make sense, keeping EDP as it is, but who knows.    ED is also a good way of preserving MR points if you close your other cards, and that would go away.

Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, a lot of people thought that the ED wouldn't have real MR, more something like MRE, and were surprised to discover that it was full MR.   I don't know if Amex could really change that now, or at least have newly issued EDs as MREs. I think that would make sense, keeping EDP as it is, but who knows.    ED is also a good way of preserving MR points if you close your other cards, and that would go away.

Yeah ED is really an exception to most travel cards. I wonder if amex is going to follow suit. There are no other no af cards that can transfer to Airline partners. Chase doesn't have any, citi doesn't have any. I wonder whats going on all around with amex and MR points. Earlier i noitced that they got rid of aeroplan as an transfer partner without any notice. I wonder if there are going to be wholesale changes with MR program. Also wonder if ED goes away from MR , what would it make it any better than BCE, OBC, or SM for that matter. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan to get an EDP in January and just use my Sallie Mae for gas. If they nerf EDP, I can at least downgrade to the no-AF ED. You can't do that with a charge card.

Message 5 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to get an EDP in January and just use my Sallie Mae for gas. If they nerf EDP, I can at least downgrade to the no-AF ED. You can't do that with a charge card.

Thats an option but an ed that doesn't have access to MR points is really not worth much imo. I still would use EDP for gas and groceries to help meet the 30 swipe min per month. There has been an lot of devaluations of UR and MR recently so i want to see how this all plays out. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Everyday card (no annual fee version) has full membersihp rewards that can be transferred to airline parters.  That's what the beauty of that card is - it's the only card that earns MR (which can transfer to partners) without any sort of annual fee

Message 7 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Everyday card (no annual fee version) has full membersihp rewards that can be transferred to airline parters.  That's what the beauty of that card is - it's the only card that earns MR (which can transfer to partners) without any sort of annual fee

original discussion was if ED no af card was going to lose that perk . It hasn't yet but that is what original discussion was about. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.