Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex NPSL Question

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex NPSL Question

@armbenderc wrote:
Pat is correct. I got offered after 6 months of membership. There is no AA and the reported balance does not count toward your util. Well, depending on which fico model you use.

Like someone else posted I got the POT when I signed up online.  I received the card in August and it was active by the next billing cycle.  I actually wish I didn't sign up for it because I have read people who didn't sign up for the POT and got offered a 10k MR bonus if they enrolled in it.

Message 21 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ezdoesit,

I've heard that as well.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 22 of 33
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

@ezdoesit,

July $1,900

Aug $3,100

Sept $2,100

Oct $4,600

The reason I asked about your average monthly spend is when you wrote about the 11700 in charges since July I just though that was a lot on someone who makes 49k a year and would you be worried about a FR.  At that rate that is going to be over 35k over the course of 12 months.  Very nice for the 15k bonus though.

Message 23 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ezdoesit,

I was at 49k at time of application.  Now at 63k.  Not really worried about FR since I didn't overstate my income.  I guess I would be a ripe candidate for it due to spend and now total of five cards which over the course since July I have spent approximately 17K on all cards with PIF every month.  I pay all my bills using my cards and just PIF when I get paid.  I also pay a very well trusted relative's mortgage (they reimburse me) too which is how I am able to get to this spend.  I figured this would help me show great utilization of the cards.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 24 of 33
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@12njoy wrote:

@ezdoesit,

July $1,900

Aug $3,100

Sept $2,100

Oct $4,600

The reason I asked about your average monthly spend is when you wrote about the 11700 in charges since July I just though that was a lot on someone who makes 49k a year and would you be worried about a FR.  At that rate that is going to be over 35k over the course of 12 months.  Very nice for the 15k bonus though.

Traditionally, Amex cards are used extensively for business T&E which is reimbursed my an employer. I suspect they look at the types of charges and make their own internal estimates of risk based on this. Amex also has much higher average spend levels on charge cards than either Visa or MC likely becuase of that traditional usage..

OTOH, I'm retired so that doesn't explain their flexibility in my case.

As an aside, they keep offering POT with varying bonus MRs from 1,500 up to 10,000. I really have no interest in POT. In fact I think POT is not something retired people should even consider. I sure wouldn't use it. It's odd they keep pushing it.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 25 of 33
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@12njoy wrote:

@ezdoesit,

July $1,900

Aug $3,100

Sept $2,100

Oct $4,600

Traditionally, Amex cards are used extensively for business T&E which is reimbursed my an employer. I suspect they look at the types of charges and make their own internal estimates of risk based on this. Amex also has much higher average spend levels on charge cards than either Visa or MC likely becuase of that traditional usage..

OTOH, I'm retired so that doesn't explain their flexibility in my case.

As an aside, they keep offering POT with varying bonus MRs from 1,500 up to 10,000. I really have no interest in POT. In fact I think POT is not something retired people should even consider. I sure wouldn't use it. It's odd they keep pushing it.

Amex offers the PoT feature but you don't have to use it. Like that guy on Amex site stated, Amex told him that if he enrolled, they would give him 10k MR points but he didn't have to use the feature, you have nothing to lose by accepting, especially if they give you bonus MRs, granted you're interested in the rewards.

Message 26 of 33
sjt
Senior Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

Hello Forum members,

I have a question regarding the NPSL.  A little history.  I have an Amex PRG that I opened in July 2013.  At that time, my credit karma (TU) fako score was 680.  Upon opening, I contacted Amex to find out what my purchasing power was.  I was told $10,000 which was a little suprising that it would be that high considering the low score and I had three derog's on my report at that time.  Amex has said that they base the NPSL on credit record, income and assets known to them, payment and charge history.  Since I started out with $10,000 I assume it was based on credit history.  I'm interested to to know what others started out with on their NPSL who may have had a similiar profile as mine (i.e. stats at time of application - income 49k, AAoA 5 yrs, TU Fako 680, assets 25K, 3 CO's/4.5 years old).  I've since opened up several cards with Amex and income and score have both increased.  Since July 2013, I have run $11,700 through the PRG card.  Amex said they review every six months.  I'm also trying to gauge what may happen at six months with PRG in December 2013.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  

When I got my card back in 1999, my NPSL was $8500. I also had a gold card attached to my brokerage account as well. It increased over time. It was around the six month mark when I was offered POT and I believe the limit was $35K.

I believe they are more flexible with limits because its PIF and they have their own internal scoring.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 27 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

Sjt,

Thanks for the info. Have you used the PoT feature?
___________ 12Njoy
Message 28 of 33
Necromancer
Regular Contributor

@12njoy wrote:
Sjt,

Thanks for the info. Have you used the PoT feature?

I've had an Amex Gold card since 93, I've used the POT feature a couple of time thourghout the years.  It's never caused any sort of problem except for the high interest rate that it carries and I always paid it off within a couple of months.

Message 29 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

Necro,

Thanks. Is the interest rate set the same for all customers or is it different? I'm averaging 17-20% interest in my cards so if I'm offered the feature and use it, 17-18% interest would be in line with my current rates.
___________ 12Njoy
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.