Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex New App after Recent CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex New App after Recent CLI

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for a while and learned a lot of stuff in this amazing community. This is my first time posting and I have a question about something I couldn't find the answer for in the old topics.

I have an Amex BCE card at 34.5K which I requested a CLI for 45K and got approved a few days ago. My question is, is that going to affect their decision in a separate application I may end up submitting for Amex Gold (already pre-approved) and also on its SL?

I'm planning to apply for this new account to increase my total number of accounts, sign-up bonus etc. but most importantly the SL is very important to me because I'd like to hit the 3x req two months from now so I'd like to know my odds.

Score: 790-800 for all three and FICO

Total of 6 accounts; 5 CCs and one car lease ending in 6 months

AAoA: 3.5 years

0 HPs

Appreciate your input!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex New App after Recent CLI

Amex Gold is a charge card with NPSL 

You can't CLI it

You may request a CLI on a revolving card 6 months after a previously successful CLI

Message 2 of 8
805orbust
Valued Contributor

+1 Amex Gold doesn't even show on your credit report with a limit, just the balance is reported.

Message 3 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an Amex BCE card at 34.5K which I requested a CLI for 45K and got approved a few days ago.

Why do you need a credit limit of $45,000 on a card that only gives meaningful rewards at supermarkets? Do you have a huge family and buy an extraordinary amount of groceries each month?  But even if that were the case, Amex limits the 3% rewards to $6000 of spending each year.  Seems to me like you wasted a CLI on the BCE.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Are you talkin Gold Charge or Gold Delta revolving card?

Message 5 of 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an Amex BCE card at 34.5K which I requested a CLI for 45K and got approved a few days ago.

Why do you need a credit limit of $45,000 on a card that only gives meaningful rewards at supermarkets? Do you have a huge family and buy an extraordinary amount of groceries each month?  But even if that were the case, Amex limits the 3% rewards to $6000 of spending each year.  Seems to me like you wasted a CLI on the BCE.

Increasing total credit limits always helps with scores, regardless of how you use the card.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Why do you need a credit limit of $45,000 on a card that only gives meaningful rewards at supermarkets?

BCE has been my only Amex card since 3 years ago and been CLI'd either automatically or by me. I had used it rigorously for the first 2 years but now it's probably my 2nd or even 3rd card of choice. I have a few big purchases coming up and I'd like to have the flexibility to distribute the charges to keep the utilization rate down for each card, that's why I was planning to get a 2nd Amex card in the first place and was not sure whether or not the large limit on the current BCE would affect the second application.

Also @Anonymous you're right I completely forgot about that being a charge card, I guess I just got a little too excited about the timing and pre-arppoval. I'd rather apply for a personal card with a decent SL (20K+ maybe if that's not too ambitious?) so I can take advantage of the 3X CLI later on, again assuming the current BCE limit won't affect that too much. Anyone with a similar experience?

Message 7 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Thanks OP for clarifying "CHARGE CARD"

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.