Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - Not Eligible for SUBs

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Amex - Not Eligible for SUBs

There's an Amex card that I've been curious about. Last week I checked prequals and was surprised that I'm not prequalified for any cards (I was prequaled for the Platinum a few months ago). I went through the first step of the app process anyway (Amex does a quick check to see if you're eligible for the Welcome Offer/SUB, after which you can cancel your app), and I was again surprised that I wasn't eligible for the SUB, even though I've never had a card in this family.

I suspect that Amex isn't happy that I got a CM from them last year, used it for one major purchase, and then spent nine months paying it off. In that time the card got very little daily activity. I believe that Amex flagged me as a churner. Fair enough. I'm working to repair the relationship. I PCed the CM to a BCE and will use it for groceries for the next year and see if that gets me out of the doghouse.

If anyone has insight into Amex's thinking or suggestions on how to repair this relationship, I'm all ears. Admittedly, Amex's products generally don't work for me right now, but I don't like being on the outs with a major creditor.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex - Not Eligible for SUBs

In general I think just putting regular spending on the existing accounts can help, although obviously not guaranteed. I think a part of the "churner flag" is just using the card to get the bonus, then SD'ing it/not using it for everyday spending. I also wonder (but don't know) if only spending in the bonus categories matters. The problem, as you note, is that if their cards don't really work for your needs, you don't want to use them for everyday spending, because you have better options. It makes little sense to use your BCE for 1% spending, but I assume they want to see everyday spend.

I would just try to mix some regular spending on the card, and not necessarily just 3% spending. I have no proof that the 3% thing matters, but just a feeling.

Message 2 of 10
Mnk1
New Contributor

I got the CM 12/2018, got the 3xCli in 9/19, and during this time was pre-qualified for other cards but when I'd start to apply wasn't eligible for any sub. Finally in 11/19 I tried to app again and didn't get a pop up window so got the HH AMEX. So in my case it took almost a year before I qualified for another sub.
Message 3 of 10
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@Mnk1 wrote:
So in my case it took almost a year before I qualified for another sub.

That was another thought that I had - perhaps borrowers are limited to one SUB per year. Any DPs on this?

Message 4 of 10
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Mnk1 wrote:

That was another thought that I had - perhaps borrowers are limited to one SUB per year. Any DPs on this?

In the last year I opened the EDP and Green.  Got the sub on both. Even after I closed the Gold and the ED I already had (kept my Plat another year).  I put most of my spend through Amex, though.

Message 5 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Mnk1 wrote:

There isn't a general limit of one SUB per year. 

The necessary step is to use the AMEX you have for spending. The SUB value is substantial so if someone has indicated that they aren't spending much on AMEX, it would make sense to limit the SUB availability to those customers. The first card would get the SUB, but it seems possible later cards might not. 

Even on a BCE, think carefully about whether you are "only" getting 1%, or whether that is an investment in your relationship with AMEX to show a volume of spend, to leverage to future cards with SUB.  If the spend is 1% on BCE, what other card are you using for that spend, and how much more is that other card really earning, in hard dollars ( or more likely cents )?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hit my one-year anniversary as a card member eight days ago. All of my Amex cards (one charge and four revolvers) had SUBs and I earned all of them. As @NRB525  said, there definitely is not a general limitation on SUBs with Amex. I use all of my cards regularly too though, so that point may well be valid.

Message 7 of 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

No, this is not a rule.

Data Point:

I got my Marriott Bonvoy SUB early this year. Applied for Hilton, got my HH points this end of October. Upgraded my Bonvoy with an upgrade bonus offer, still trying to meet my spend, but verified with them that I am enrolled in the bonus.

For what it's worth, I almost never use their cards after meeting the bonus on all of them (the "almost" in that sentence means I use it, for monthly bills like internet and insurance). It is also worth noting that I am paying AF for all these cards.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Mnk1 wrote:

I have gotten 8 sign-up bonuses from Amex in the past 12 months.  I started getting the pop-up on certain cards and then I put 8k on one card and no more pop-ups.  Spend money on the Amex cards you have and the pop-ups will disappear.  

Message 9 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Mnk1 wrote:

I have gotten 8 sign-up bonuses from Amex in the past 12 months.  I started getting the pop-up on certain cards and then I put 8k on one card and no more pop-ups.  Spend money on the Amex cards you have and the pop-ups will disappear.  

Yes I never had issues getting SUBs from amex. I have amex cards I never use but then I also have amex cards that get heavy use. One of the reasons why its important to get at least some cards that you want to use on spend for the long term. In a simple press of a button they can see exactly how many swipes you have had in the past year and the categories etc etc. Very easy to identify people who are just going for the SUB and running. Its ok to go for the SUB and not use a card that does not work for you, but there should still be some spend going through amex on at least one of their cards so that they value you as a customer. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.