Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex: Notification Not Required

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Amex: Notification Not Required

Does anyone know the reason why Amex doesn't care if your traveling outside the country, when most other card issuers want to know ahead of time? Citi & Chase both prefer to know of your travel plans so your card isn't inadvertantly shut off, however Amex goes out of their way to tell you NOT to contact them with travel plans..

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex: Notification Not Required

I used to call when traveling with gold business charge because I knew spending would be in the 10k range... about the 4th month that I was making my usual call in the rep very nicely said "you are welcome to call in if it makes you feel better, but you really don't have to." I'll take it off quotes because don't remember exact wording after that but something about clientele of Amex tends to travel a lot and the computer system or something that Amex uses tracks it better or something... Without an exact knowledge of what goes through computer decision making and what gets popped over to a rep to manual review I couldn't say one thing.

But I have never had my card declined because I was out of home zip code, I believe I have gotten 1-2 phone calls over the years about current month balance little higher than normal, you are aware and is this going to be higher just this month or is this likely your new level of spending because we can work on making sure all purchasea are approved.

I just love Amex Reps.

Message 2 of 3
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex: Notification Not Required

I don't know.  Maybe they just don't think it is necessary.  I can say that the fraud protection algorithms have gotten pretty accurate to the point that it is scary.  I have taken several overseas trips and not notified any of my lenders and not had a problem.  I went to Rio one year when I was younger, single, and very stupid with money.  Spent money like an idiot in night clubs and such without a problem. 

In contrast, I was mugged a few years ago and before I could call to cancel my credit cards someone tried to use them at a gas station in a part of town I never frequent and they shut down my accounts. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.