Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

tag
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

If your current credit profile is decent or improving, I would think about doing what others have done, and pay your old balance off, wait a couple months or so, then apply for one of their other cards.  Sounds like that might be an effective way of getting back in?  As you said, you might just have to take the risk!  Good luck!

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 91 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

Yeah, I havent received anything from the Oasis team.  I had just called and asked about it and they were upset that I knew about it.  I just don't know if I want to take the chance to send in the $800 and then they not want to give me a card or take me off the blacklist.  I wonder if I send a letter to the executive branch with certified funds with the stipulation of them cashing the check to remove me from the blacklist and give me a charge card.  Maybe the money will speak louder than just my plain letters.  I would just rather have a sure thing from AMEX before I send in any money.  But I guess that might be a chance I have to take.

My experiences dealing with AmEx seem to indicate that you have better success if you call AmEx's collections dweebs in Omaha or, to a lesser extent, the ones in Atlanta.  The AmEx people outside of those offices tend to be clueless.

If you do pay off the balance, I'd bet it's virtually a 100% chance that they will de-blacklist you.  How soon before they approve you for a new card absent being in Oasis I do not know.  I'd probably give it a month or so to make sure their blacklist updates and your name has been purged.

You could try the check & restrictive endorsement trick.  I am not sure if that would legally obligate them, though.  Still, they'd almost have to de-blacklist you at least. 

Message 92 of 118
Tazman81
Established Contributor

So, I may try to pay off my balance with them, but I need to try to find out exactly how much it was first.  I have been searching for a few hours trying to find the posting that had the phone numbers to the AMEX collection departments.  Does anyone have that information handing that they can post, or post a link to the thread that contained it.  Thanks.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 93 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

So, I may try to pay off my balance with them, but I need to try to find out exactly how much it was first.  I have been searching for a few hours trying to find the posting that had the phone numbers to the AMEX collection departments.  Does anyone have that information handing that they can post, or post a link to the thread that contained it.  Thanks.

When I get home tonight I can give you the number for Omaha and the number for Atlanta.  AFAIK, these are the only two places that can get you set up for Oasis.

Message 94 of 118
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tazman81 wrote:

When I get home tonight I can give you the number for Omaha and the number for Atlanta.  AFAIK, these are the only two places that can get you set up for Oasis.

Sounds great.  Thanks.  And I will let you all know how it goes.  Though I would rather just get a regular card, if I have to start out with Oasis, thent hat will be okay as well.

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 95 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tazman81 wrote:

Sounds great.  Thanks.  And I will let you all know how it goes.  Though I would rather just get a regular card, if I have to start out with Oasis, thent hat will be okay as well.

AmEx's inside collections dweebs are in two confirmed locations and one other possible location:

1.  Omaha, NE:  (888) 586-9767 or (866) 462-5235.  These people have half a dozen other toll-free #s, too.  They can offer Oasis and if you ask they will do so in writing.  Ask for extension 22043.  The guy (his name sounds like a kind of candy) is professional. 

2.  Kennesaw, GA:  (800) 456-4729 or (336) 393-1111.  Can also offer Oasis, but force them to do so in writing.  They will try to get out of putting it in writing, but in the end they will if you push.

3.  Houston, TX:  (877) 832-8325.  This one is an unknown.  It is AmEx and it quite possibly is collections, but not sure if it is an inside collector or not.  Only inside collectors can offer Oasis. 

Message 96 of 118
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

O6 wrote:

AmEx's inside collections dweebs are in two confirmed locations and one other possible location:

1.  Omaha, NE:  (888) 586-9767 or (866) 462-5235.  These people have half a dozen other toll-free #s, too.  They can offer Oasis and if you ask they will do so in writing.  Ask for extension 22043.  The guy (his name sounds like a kind of candy) is professional. 

2.  Kennesaw, GA:  (800) 456-4729 or (336) 393-1111.  Can also offer Oasis, but force them to do so in writing.  They will try to get out of putting it in writing, but in the end they will if you push.

3.  Houston, TX:  (877) 832-8325.  This one is an unknown.  It is AmEx and it quite possibly is collections, but not sure if it is an inside collector or not.  Only inside collectors can offer Oasis. 

Thank you O6! This is helpful. I didn't realize there were several numbers we can use. I hope everyone will post their experiences after they call Amex. I plan on doing so.

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Message 97 of 118
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

Are there any updates from those of you that called the AmEx collections numbers to pay off old balances in exchange for entry into their Oasis program?  Details!

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 98 of 118
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Well, i didn't get the chance to call any of the collection numbers.  I had actually sent an email in to AMEX.  i received a call from a nice young lady that was with the "executive office" of AMEX.

We had some conversation, and originally she said that AMEX has offered a "secured" product for about a year now.  They do not advertise it, but if you put $10,000.00 into a CD with AMEX, then you can get an AMEX card secured by that CD.  The minimum amount you can put into the CD is 10k.  I explained to her that though I liked the idea of a secured product as a way to try to get back in with AMEX, I don't have 10k to move over to AMEX as I just have my emergency fund (about 6k) and then my retirement funds.  I did not want to move my emergency fund over to a CD because then, it's no longer an emergency fund as there would be red tape to go through in order to get that money out.

Anyhow, moving on.  I told her that it also seemed that $10k was a lot for an $800 balance that I had with AMEX that was discharged in bankruptcy.  So, we began talking about that, and she made it very very clear that she was not attempting to "collect" on the discharged amount, but said what I did with my money was my business.  So, I explained to her (as I had in the original message to AMEX) that I wanted to make a voluntary payment to make AMEX whole.  I could also tell that the call was being recorded which was fine by me because I know they needed to protect themselves.  So, I asked her for the specific amount needed to bring the original account to a zero balance and put me back in good standing with AMEX and she provided that to me.  I had to call a different number to make a payment.  So, I did that and made a payment with my debit card.  (This was all last week)

I had to wait a day for my payment to clear and then received a call back and was asked which product I wanted to apply for.  Me and the lady from the executive branch were talking about the products and I was telling her about my Experian credit report and the FAKO score of 635 that I have.  I originally wanted to apply for the Gold Rewards Card (because I could transfer the points to my delta skymiles account), but she "gently nudged" me toward the Zync card explaining the card is more in line with those wanting to reestablish a credit history.  I said okay, and applied for the Zync card.

I was advised that she could not give me an instant decision (for the obvious reasons) and that the application was going to be manually reviewed.  She said it would be a few days and I would have a decision.  She of course made it clear, even prior to me paying my AMEX account off, that she could not guarantee anything.

Well, I checked my application status online, and it still says "In Progress".  So, I really hope they decide to go ahead and give me a Zync card.  Everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.  Maybe my obsession with AMEX is a bit unhealthy, but I just want my AMEX back.  Smiley Sad

I will let you all know how it goes as soon as I get a response.

Message 99 of 118
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good luck, Tazman! At least there's the possibility of rehabbing with them.

And I think there's a lot to be said for trying to even things out things from the past, when you're able to later on.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 100 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.